Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mrs Fox came to me this weekend and told me one of my diecast was going off! (Click on the 1st image and it will take you to a video.)

20210524 Diecast Uploads
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

I knew it was supposed to be a light up with sound Corvette C4. But it doesnt have an obvious switch, position or function to make it work that I could find. I've also lost track of when it came into the collection but it has been setting on a shelf with other same sized castings for years now.

20210524 Diecast Uploads
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

I was never able to tell if it was an MC Toy, Racing Champion or other brand offering with working lights and sound as of yet either. The base has the reference #9033 and made in China on it. That doesnt match up to any other Corvette I can find on the innerwebz. Or a lights and sounds series that I can find. You can reach the mini circuit board through the slot but there is nothing else there to 'move.'

20210524 Diecast Uploads
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I finally unswcerwed the base but still couldnt find anything that works as a trigger. The brass tab does fit into a slot in the base but it doesnt matter if it is closed or open. The sound and lights still go off intermittenly. Not set pattern. Sometimes just once. Sometimes 6 to 10 times in a row.

20210524 Diecast Uploads by Milton Fox, on Flickr

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I had already figure the batteries were already corrorided after 20 (or 30) + years, but maybe it did just happened! Not sure how long it was going off before Mrs Fox noticed it as it is in the guest bedroom, but it has been chirping away for 2 days now!

20210524 Diecast Uploads
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

20210524 Diecast Uploads
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
2,223 Posts
I have an old Soma Ferrari with a similar light and sound setup and it's activated by pressing down on the axles. I had to take it apart and bend the contacts back into place for it to work after I got it though. Is that little tab on the front what's supposed to activate it?

I wonder if the battery corrosion just barely got to the point where it's completing the circuit to activate the siren.

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will look through Soma again. I think you are right on both counts. Pressing down on the front of the car does contact the tab, but there is a delay before it responds - sometimes hours. And then even if it is not makeing contact it will go off! I finally had to cut one of the speaker wires and it hasnt gone off again! The batteries were going down any way after 5 days of sporadic activitation, but at least I got to video it working (y) .

I would also have had to un-solder the light LEDs to get the batteries out!

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Found a couple of Soma Ferraris and Porsche over at the garage but not a 'Vette. Interesting that they are still promoting the once a Soma always a Soma theory even though it is documented there that Realtoy picked up a lot of Soma casting molds along the way!!!

This one though is marked a Soma and 1989 on the card front. Each of these dont look like a 'Soma' type diecast to me anyway and our own history thread on Soma indicates a connection to Majorette which is what the Corvette body and base above reminds me of the most.

Here on the card front it does show to push down on the front of the car to activate, but it doesnt have the same battery access as the Corvette base shows above. So most likely it will turn out to be Realtoy and moved over there once confirmed.

·
Super Moderator
2,223 Posts
Comparing your Corvette to my Soma Ferrari makes me think they're from different manufacturers. The battery access is probably the biggest difference. I think Realtoy is a good theory though.

I think the diecast encyclopedia says something about the light and sound Soma cars being the only ones that were actually branded Soma on the casting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Comparing your Corvette to my Soma Ferrari makes me think they're from different manufacturers. The battery access is probably the biggest difference. I think Realtoy is a good theory though.

View attachment 318022
View attachment 318023
View attachment 318024
I think the diecast encyclopedia says something about the light and sound Soma cars being the only ones that were actually branded Soma on the casting.
I have one of these Soma F40 Ferrari but can't figure out what battery size to use. Do you happen to have the correct battery type/code?

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will have to find them again to make sure but I think they were the D76 buttons.
Hey, thanks for the quick response! Yes, if you find out for sure, please do let me know. These little batteries are expensive; I'd hate to have to go through trial and error to get right ones.

Here is a photo my "big" car, next to its "little" sister 😉
Ferrari F40 Fire Department Rescue 1:64 by Soma
Ferrari Testarossa - Mini Light Racers by HotWheels 1:87 HO (1179)

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Milton, thank you very much for answering me quickly to clarify my doubt!

Based on your answer, the G10A CNB battery (aka AG10, LR54, LR1130 etc) with 11.6 mm diameter, i think they are used in models like the soma from your first post the soma rescue, the ones with the internal compartment that you have to disassemble to replace them.

The model that i was telling you about with the battery compartment in the lower part, measuring it indicated less diameter and i wasnt very convinced that it was that battery model, that's why i wrote to you asking you.

I think the mystery has been solved, the answer was right under my nose, in one of your posts you uploaded a photo and i saw that the blister indicates:

LR41 / 192, has a 7.9 mm diameter, i indicate the equivalences and the image you posted:

Rectangle Font Paper Circle Paper product

Thank you so much again Milton, i hope someone else has been helpful

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully; others will be able to find the answers to their questions in the future a little easier and faster than I was able to provide any feedback this time around.

Be sure to show us a video when your new batteries are installed! 🤙

·
Registered
3 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.