Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Premium Member
One of my local grocery stores has the same deal 4 for 5 dollars.馃憤To me that is a good deal.馃憤

Registered
Technically it is still below a $1. Wal-Mart and Target still have them for below a dollar.
If you look, most if not all of these places charging over $1 are grocery stores, drug stores or places like Family Dollar/Dollar Tree.
These places don't have the buying clout that Wally or Target have so they have to mark up the cost to $1.25 or more.
A local drug store, Kinney Drugs, used to be around $1.05 for a long time. The price has gradually gone up this year.
I had to get a prescription there today and Mainlines are now up to $1.99.
Unless it is a casting that I know I won't come across, I'm not getting a casting there for over $2.00

Administrator
The Auto Parts stores are also getting close to the $2.00 price point as well. 馃

We actually had one of our club members announce his retirement from collecting today. No word on if he was also going to liquidate the current accumulations.

Reactions: samace22

Administrator
He said he is going in another direction but didnt give any details. He is an occasional vendor at the local shows, so I will try to follow up with him if he is still going to keep selling items.

Reactions: samace22

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm aware many other smaller store have always charged more. Target and walmart are still under a buck here in the Pacific NW. Being that Kroger is nationwide l fear its only a matter of time before the rest follow suite. I've heard that walmart will be upping its image along with prices in the near future.

Registered
I'm aware many other smaller store have always charged more. Target and walmart are still under a buck here in the Pacific NW. Being that Kroger is nationwide l fear its only a matter of time before the rest follow suite. I've heard that walmart will be upping its image along with prices in the near future.
Technically Kroger is not nationwide. There are large areas where they do not have stores, the Northeast for example. I don't have a Kroger within 300 miles of me.
I don't know if you recall when Mattel raised the price of the mainlines to over a dollar, which lasted a month, the collectors went nuts.
Big retailers I'm sure will try to keep it at a dollar.

Registered
I believe kroger bought a Cali grocery chain. They own Fred Meyer in the NW. Not everything they own carrys their name. I'm guessing they have as much buying power as Target.
I haven't seen any Kroger stores, but maybe there's are a few that I don't know about. We have Ralph's, and I believe that is owned by Kroger.

Registered
That is true "there's a lot of them". Not all Kroger affiliated stores carry toys. There are Kroger affiliated stores in NY, they are called Littman Jewlers.
But look at that map again, they are in only 38 states. None in the northeast, upper Midwest, none in Oklahoma, a handful in the southeastern corner of Nebraska. A high concentration in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, and Kentucky.

Registered
I was at the Fred Meyers store up in Bellingham, WA. yesterday, and they're charging $1.25 a piece for mainlines now. It was inevitable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts