Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Technical Overlord
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It’s a milestone year for The Matchbox Collectors International Gathering of Friends - the 2012 event marks the 10th anniversary! It’s all happening on July 20-22 in Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, organised by longtime Matchbox collector, promoter and founder of Route 66 Promotions, Jim Gallegos.

Fun, friendly and international, The Gathering isn’t just for Matchbox either, there’ll be plenty of other diecast brands there, especially at the toy show on Sunday. The event kicks off with a meet-and-greet on Friday, followed by seminars, a custom contest, dinner, auction and the traditional presentation by Mattel of what’s to come in the Matchbox range.

If you’d like to attend, you can find the sign-up form attached below along with details of how to submit it. Also, the auction includes several charity items with the proceeds going to Rachel’s Courtyard, a very deserving local children’s charity, so if you’d like to donate items but aren’t planning on attending, you can arrange to do so directly with Jim; HERE.​

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Gathering Agenda

Route 66 MC International Gathering of Friends Convention Calendar of Events
Friday 20, July 2012
2pm – 5pm Registration in Lobby “Get together and begin in Room Trading.
(Door Hangers and room trading participant info available upon registration.)
8pm -9:30pm –Meet and Greet - (Beverages and cake) Sponsored by the Matchbox® Team. Come meet the Matchbox® Team from El Segundo. Bring your favorite die cast related item to share with others. Bring your favorite Diecast/or related item to share with others.
7pm - ??? In room trading–Be sure to sign up at the registration table in the lobby. (Room numbers available by elevator.)

Saturday 21, July 2012
10am-noon Registration in the Lobby.
10am – 4pm and 9pm-12am In room trading– (Room numbers available by elevator.)

Workshops All take place in Sandia Ball Rooms

11am-2pm Custom Contest viewing (Come vote on your favorites)

10 am – 11am Regular Wheels “The Rare Ones & Pre Productions” Hardy Ristau
11am-12:30pm 'My Life at Matchbox' “PART 4” Former Matchbox Employee Paul Carr shares his 16 years at Lesney and Matchbox, the people, the pre-pros.
1:30 pm– 2:30pm - Matchbox® Designer Presentation
The Matchbox team will share the “Matchbox® Car Design Process”

Pre-Paid Reservations are required to attend the dinner and/or auction
5pm – 7pm Dinner Sandia Ball Room
•Mattel Presentation (Like a mini Line Preview) See what’s coming.
7pm - 9pm Auction
9pm – on In Room Trading. (see participant list by main elevators)

Sunday 22, July 2012
8am-3pm Outstanding Real Classic and Custom Car show east parking lot
Visit the Albuquerque and Bernalillo County Fire Trucks East parking lot.
8am – 10am Set up for Toy Show and Sale Early Bird Admission - Grand Ball Room
(9am Early Bird floor rights $10 per person) - Grand Ball Room
10am-3pm Matchbox® Play Area open - Grand Ball Room
2 Autograph session Matchbox Designers and Marketing Representatives will be signing your favorite Matchbox items. 2 sessions.
10am-11am
12-1pm
10am – 3pm Toy Show and Sale. (Admission $3 under 10 free w/adult)
Downhill Racing throughout the day.

MATCHBOX and associated trademarks and trade dress are owned by, and used under license from Mattel, Inc. © 2012 Mattel, Inc. All Rights Reserved. This convention is not affiliated with Mattel, Inc.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Almost ready for the friends from out of town to show up.. I'll be at the hotel Friday about noon if anyone needs anything let me know since I am local. :thumbsup: Happy travels to you. :wave:

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Just updated my room schedule and added Thurs night. Bringing loads of fun toys.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
;) Darn it Dave.. Maybe I'll have to come to England to see you...;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm heading to the Matchbox Collectors International Gathering of Friends this weekend. I was lucky enough to have a mold maker from Matchbox send me a bunch of items used in the making of the cars. I also have some sketches and purchase requests. Pretty cool stuff. The only thing I am missing is the original 1:1 carving (which takes from 50-90 hours to make) and an actual master mold. This is part of the display I am putting together for informational purposes.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
It will sure be nice seeing you again. Email me your cell ##:wave:

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
i am going, and revisiting home, i lived there for 8 years..1920 lead ave...is astro zombies still around, mike delia's collectible store?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Yes it is about the same place as it was. Moved to the corner. Mike has a few very nice diecast in the store. He usally comes to the Sunday table show.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
The Gathering was a wonderful time. Was sure good to see all the MB family.. The dinner was good, but it always is. The room to room was fun and I sold a few Hotwheels at a MB convention... Guess the convention is only 95% MB... :thumbsup:
The auction was fast and a lot of items went to good homes. We were able to collect $4200.00 for Rachels Courtyard. What a wonderful cause.:wave: Those little sick children are going to have so much to be happy for... Thanks to everyone who bid on the auction items!!!
All in all it was the best so far... People came from all over the world to have fun! Lets do it again next year!!!:woohoo:

·
Registered
763 Posts
I am glad you had a great time. I was at home depressed over missing it all this year. Mind you, I still managed to get a few auction items. It's good to hear that the charity made $4200. It is nice to know that a few model car collectors can help out a worthy cause like that.

I am really hoping that my situation at home will be much better next year, and I will be back in Albuquerque. I am already planning for it.

:) :D :p

·
Registered
552 Posts
I am glad you had a great time. I was at home depressed over missing it all this year. Mind you, I still managed to get a few auction items. It's good to hear that the charity made $4200. It is nice to know that a few model car collectors can help out a worthy cause like that.

I am really hoping that my situation at home will be much better next year, and I will be back in Albuquerque. I am already planning for it.

I hope you can make it as well. We missed you but you are always there in spirit.
Save the date. 19-21 July 2013.

·
Technical Overlord
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
An update from Jim Gallegos about next year's Gathering!

Save the date, It's official! The 11th Annual Matchbox Collectors (MC) International Gathering of Friends Convention is set. It will be 19-21 July 2013 in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

I am building an email list and will contact you when registration starts. Registration will begin later this year or very early 2013. This convention has sold out every year and we are expanding for 2013 to accommodate those who missed out before. Still Dinner and Dealer spaces are limited. Email me at matchb0x1[at]aol.com.

- Jim Gallegos

Don't be fooled by Imitation wanna be Gatherings, this is the real deal."

·
Registered
552 Posts
Agenda and update for 2013 Gathering

Thank you for your participation in the 2013 Matchbox collectors International Gathering of Friends Convention. This is the largest Mattel Matchbox Convention in the world and the only one supported by Mattel. Please find attached the 2013 Calendar of events. We look forward to having you as our guest. EVERYONE is welcome to join us.

Please share this event with all you communicate with. There are dinners and tables still available.

Also:
• I am looking for door prize donations. Please send what you can.
And...
• Now is the time to send your donations to the 2013 Charity Auction. 100% of the proceeds will be donated to Rachel's Courtyard Children's Hospital. All Auction prices realized will be posted so you know where your donation went. We raised over $4000 last year and would like to raise over $5000 this year. Your support is appreciated. (Please send these before 15 June so they can get photographed and entered into the auction and recognition can be added to the program. (We have received several items already but want to have at least 100 for auction.)
Please send items to:

Jim Gallegos
9401 Riverfront Dr. NW
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87114 USA

I will email you to confirm receipt.

Thanks for your support.

Route 66 Matchbox Collectors International Gathering of Friends Convention Calendar of Events
Friday 19, July 2013
2pm – 5pm Registration in Lobby “Get together and begin in Room Trading. (Door Hangers and room trading
participant info available upon registration.)
5:30pm -7pm –Meet and Greet - (Beverages and cake) Sponsored by the Matchbox® Team. Come meet the Matchbox® Team from El Segundo

7pm - ??? In room trading–Be sure to sign up at the registration table in the lobby. (Room numbers available by elevator.)

Saturday 20, July 2013
10am-noon Registration in the Lobby.
10am – 4pm and 9-12am In room trading– (Room numbers available by elevator.)

Workshops All take place in the Sandia Ball Room
9:30am-10:30am Matchbox® Designer Presentation
Subject: “Matchbox® Car Design Process”

11am-2pm Custom Contest viewing
11pm-12:30pm Customizing Seminar Jim Reid from Tampa Florida will share his award winning secrets for
customization of miniature vehicles.
1:00 – 2:00pm – Matchbox Superfast Vehicles “The Rare Ones”
Nigel Cooper From England will discuss Matchbox displays from 1950-2000.
2:00 – 3:00pm – Matchbox Displays Through the Years Presentation Hardy Ristau from Germany will discuss
and share some amazingly rare Superfast models.
5pm – 7pm Dinner Sandia Ball Room (Pre-Paid Reservations only)
7pm - 9pm Auction (Pre-Paid Reservations required. See registration form)
9pm – on In Room Trading. (see participant list by main elevators)

Sunday 21, July 2013
11am-2pm Visit the Bernalillo County and Albuquerque Fire Departments Ladder Truck. east parking lot.
8am – 10am Set up for Toy Show and Sale Early Bird Admission - Grand Ball Room
(9am Early Bird floor rights $10 per person) - Grand Ball Room
10am-3pm Matchbox® Play Area open - Grand Ball Room
10am-11am Autograph session Matchbox Designers and Marketing Representatives will be signing your favorite
Matchbox items.
10am – 3pm Toy Show and Sale. (Admission $3 under 10 free w/adult)
Downhill Racing throughout the day.

MATCHBOX and associated trademarks and trade dress are owned by, and used under license from Mattel, Inc. © 2013 Mattel, Inc. All Rights Reserved. This convention is not affiliated with Mattel, Inc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Albuquerque Gathering 2013

Looking forward to another Great weekend at the 10th Annual route 66 Gathering of Friends.

Truely the correct name for the event, as everyone is so friendly and hospitable, for the attendees to the hotel staff.

Was wondering if anyone was interested in sharing a room for the weekend at the event, in Albuquerque this year? If so, would love to hear from you!

Thanks!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yes, this year's event takes place next weekend. Same place as before, and the Mattel team will be there with a preview of what to expect in 2015.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Yes, this year's event takes place next weekend. Same place as before, and the Mattel team will be there with a preview of what to expect in 2015.

Good to hear.

Hopefully someone that will be there will share some of the festivities with us guys over here on HT.

I always thought that if there was one toy car event I would like to go to,that would he the one.

Maybe someday.

Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts