Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to pick up some Fresh Cherries in 1:87th in the cubes. None were on hand at Walmart but they did have nearly the exact same thing only different castings made buy another company instead. The logo was hard to read but it looked like a red M of some sorts. They also did the same castings pulling vintage RV's which was pretty cool in a larger cube. I noticed they had more Maisto where the MotorMax once was.

So does Walmart rotate companies or is this just a distribution thing? There was one 1:64th Fresh Cherry on the pegs (brown Pinto).

Same issues everywhere or is this a northern IN problem?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The ones with the red M are Malibu International. Here in NY, they seem to be the flavor of the month as I have seen neither hide nor hair of the Motormax cars.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats it! It's cool stuff but they seem to be hanging around more than the FC did. Malibu? Who's offshoot is that?

So does that mean no more 1:87 FC? Is anybody finding both? It seems to me like Walmart does have a flavor of the month. Are they trying out Malibu to see if they sell better or did Joe in the mega warehouse finally come across their stuff in line and sent it out? While the next set of FC sets in dock whatever until Joe gets to it?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Here are the only ones that I have found so far...

1974 AMC GREMLIN blue 1:60
1974 AMC GREMLIN green 1:60
1974 AMC GREMLIN red 1:60
All I ever found recently is Yat Ming in 1:72 and Malibu Int'l (HIGH SPEED) in 1:87.

Here are some of the Fresh Cherries that I have so far...

1970 Ford Maverick red 1:60
1970 Ford Maverick white 1:60
1970 Ford Maverick yellow 1:60
1970 Ford Maverick green
1970 Ford Pinto blue 1:60
1970 Ford Pinto yellow 1:60
1970 Ford Pinto red 1:60
1978 AMC PACER green 1:60
1978 AMC PACER red 1:60
1978 AMC PACER yellow 1:60
1977 Ford Mustang II brown 1:60
1977 Ford Mustang II black 1:60
1977 Ford Mustang II brown 1:60
1977 Ford Mustang II green 1:60

These are all in 1:60 Scale.

I know there are more...I am still looking for them

olesareg90/Gill

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If die-cast isn't moving well.................

then why is everything so picked over? Across the board, HW's included. The days of fighting for peg space seems to be replaced by fighting for stock on the shelves period!

If I go down the local Wally aisle, on the north side of the die-cast wall it's one of this, two of that. On the south side, housing action figures, it's absolute overload of stock so either the employees have been told to keep that up because it is so hot moving or the Spidermans, Pirates of the Carribean, Sponge Bob is not selling and rather than continue ordering something that is, the dept head waits until figurines sell before anything is renewed.

Another sign of the times I noticed is the model car section. Not even placed with die-cast anymore as it was squeezed in next to bike parts and supplies and half the size it once was.

So I must be interested in all the wrong stuff as it seems so forgotten now. Hmmmmmm, where to I find that Captain Jack Sparro all white figure now?:rolleyes:

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Mark Hosaflook said:
then why is everything so picked over? Across the board, HW's included. The days of fighting for peg space seems to be replaced by fighting for stock on the shelves period!

If I go down the local Wally aisle, on the north side of the die-cast wall it's one of this, two of that. On the south side, housing action figures, it's absolute overload of stock so either the employess have been told to keep that up because it is so hot moving or the Spidermans, Pirates of the Carribean, Sponge Bob is not selling and rather than continue ordering something that is, the dept head waits until figures sell before anything is renewed.

Another sign of the times I noticed is the model car section. Not even with die-cast anymore as it was squeezed in next to bike parts and supplies and half the size it once was.

So I must be interested in all the wrong stuff as it seems so forgotten now. Hmmmmmm, where to I find that Captain Jack Sparro all white figure now?:rolleyes:

Thoughts?
I think the reason the model department is so small is because of the situation with AMT, all of a sudden finding itself without a parent. Wal-Mart obviously doesn't want to get involved with an orphan.

The diecast department is horrendous. Stock is flung everywhere, like so many cowpies, boxes and blister packs are ripped open, and the sales help is clueless.

It's obvious to me that Wal-Mart doesn't want to sell diecast cars. With zinc going up almost daily, the cars we love are going to be priced out of Wal-Mart's comfort zone.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine looks how you describe as well. So does that mean there is so little interest in other stuff like figurines that it stays pristine looking? One Fresh Cherries 1:64th no 1:87th, Maybe 8 JL's. HW's pegs were half full and some less as if somebody tried to "face and front" it. If so much other stuff is sitting there unwanted how can Walmart tell a manufacturer what is moving and what they don't want when the latest movie flop toy grows hair on it?

At least while I am there looking I honestly see other kids and adults for that matter looking to buy die-cast, at least checking stuff out. Does the other toy sales inabilty to liquidate add to the over-all problem perhaps. Store manger tells the dept head, no more orders of anything until we move this other stuff we have loads of?

I don't know, just asking?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Here they started getting in some of the first 1:87 assortments again! Not really complaining since I like the Pinto Wagon.. but on the other hand I would like to see newer yet stuff :p

I did a tour of the state (a sunday drive) a couple weeks back, and found out that only half of the 9 or so stores I visited even have a spot for the 1:87 Fresh Cherries, but they all carried the 1:87 Malibu (black box) ones. The stores I did buy a case at, seemed to get a new one within 2 weeks :p

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
It seems there are a few problems here. First, the buyers are grabbing the "next big thing" without thinking about its longevity in the marketplace. Next the warehouses are backed up because the replenishment points are not being reached. Finally, because these white elephants aren't selling, there is no cash flow with which to buy new inventory. Therefore, because of some myopic rube in purchasing, our diecasts are not being bought. My belief is that Malibu wanted to be in Wal-Mart so badly they extended them ridiculous credit terms. This is why we see so much of it, which is not a bad thing, considering what I saw from them at Toy Fair.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I was a lad, I was a purchaser for K-Mart. There were times when slow sales meant everything re-order wise was put on hold. There were some items that were always exceptions like quarts of oil, filters, etc. First thing you learned was the sales curve so that the majority of the order sold during the peak need. I'm thinking Jack Sparro dolls and Fantastic Four dolls are going to be sitting for a spell unless serious mark downs are taken.

This carry over to other product hurts. I'm betting in our case (toys) managers were told to concentrate on bikes. Bicycles were hanging everywhere and setting everywhere.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have seen a few new FC cars, the Vegas, Chevettes and 71 Mustangs but that is all. None of the 4 Wal-Marts within a 30 mile radius of my house has ever gotten any of the American Graffiti 71,76 Chevy's or the 78 T-Birds. Actually, they haven't gotten much in the way of anything at the store in my town in many months, including the FC cars I just mentioned.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Mark - regarding Malibu 1/87 models. These very good castings were first released in the USA under the "Model Power" name - same type packaging but different colored (white & green) cardboard outer liner. They were sold at hobby shops and especially at model train venues. They were priced at about $5 each but were still a bargain compared to the beautiful German Wiking & Herpa 1/87 scale plastic models at about $12 each. But somehow this Malibu company got the castings and sold identical models in identical colors much cheaper through Wal Mart. Some of the castings have been also released by Schuco in the same packaging but with Schuco's cardboard outer liner. The Schucos cost more too. All the models are made by High Speed - which also makes excellent 1/43 scale die cast models for the Schuco Junior line. But for the wheel style, the silver T-Bird from Malibu is a duplicate of a 1/1 scale one I've got sitting in the garage- ranchero -

·
Registered
334 Posts
Dear All:

Malibu models do exist because High Speed breached its contract with Model Power;these models were supposed to be sold under Model Power packs only.Consequently,some newer models such as the Ford Crown Victoria,Olds 442,Ford F-100 pick up will not find its way to Wal Mart.Likewise,they been at Wal Mart's shelfs a tad longer than the Fresh Cherries.

Another thing:the 1/87 scale Motormaxes are being grabbed by the Railroad Modeler crowds,because they made vehicles which are realistic and ideal to their dioramas and are very affordable (for a while,maybe).This way,will be a while until one can find these in large numbers,and I have not a doubt that the CVCC will be flying off the shelfs,literally.Because Motormax have big scales (which are considered real collectables in some Countries),toys and now they added HO vehicles to the roster,one can say that they are cornering the collectable market.They even did not forget R/C's!!

·
Registered
450 Posts
There is 4 names for the same 1:87 scale models. Malibu, High Speed, Model Power and Schuco.

Ive been collecting all the 98-02 Trans Am WS6 Convertables from these series.

Model Power made a yellow and a black. High speed made a yellow and a black. Schuco made a yellow. And Malibu has made, yellow, black, red, silver, blue, purple, and green.

Also high speed made a copper 1:64 scale. Im dying to find other colors of the 1:64 scale but that seems to be it.

Whats weird is I cant find any web-sites for these brands, except schuco which is in the UK.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
stanmmx said:
Dear All:

Malibu models do exist because High Speed breached its contract with Model Power;these models were supposed to be sold under Model Power packs only.Consequently,some newer models such as the Ford Crown Victoria,Olds 442,Ford F-100 pick up will not find its way to Wal Mart.Likewise,they been at Wal Mart's shelfs a tad longer than the Fresh Cherries.

Another thing:the 1/87 scale Motormaxes are being grabbed by the Railroad Modeler crowds,because they made vehicles which are realistic and ideal to their dioramas and are very affordable (for a while,maybe).This way,will be a while until one can find these in large numbers,and I have not a doubt that the CVCC will be flying off the shelfs,literally.Because Motormax have big scales (which are considered real collectables in some Countries),toys and now they added HO vehicles to the roster,one can say that they are cornering the collectable market.They even did not forget R/C's!!
I, for one, have no problem with that. I love their 1/24 cars. They really are collectables and not toys. They represent a tremendous value - true to scale and well detailed and assembled for only ten bucks! The fact that Motormax are so willing to offer a fine product and listen to their customers and to the collectors, will only ensure their future success.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Malibu has been in Walmart for a long time. I took this pic back on Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 12:16:45 PM. I can't remmber if this was the first or second walmart offering.

As mentioned in earlier post High Speed is the actual manufacturer. The other subrands by their models from high speed.

For instence Schuco has a
1:87th viper manufactured by high speed
1:72nd viper manufactured by Yatming
1:64th viper manufactured by high speed

·
Registered
758 Posts
After thinking about it some more these were the first offering by malibu. I have the high speed version in red pictured in my computer from June 05 and I know I had the Model Power version piror to that.

An interesting thing is that High Speed kept their name on the base for the model power cars but all other brands have an insert in the mold with their name on it i.e. malibu and schuco have their names molded on the base

1 - 20 of 25 Posts