Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
i would not pay that much espeicaly for cars with no chassis plus the green car is a copy or been stripped the hood should be black. imo the cars a worth around 250 compl as is about 175 i could see the price on the gt40 if it was the number 5 car

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Chassis, Black hood, #5...what?

Chassis are cheap, even NOS ones, and the ody is always where the money is unless your talking about modern day magnet racers.

The willys (again if Aurora) is a cigar box and in a very rare color and should be all green. The Camaro is in the hardest to find of the Xlerator colors, and the GT40 is an almost never seen car Xlerator as well.

But that's what makes this hobby great, everyone has their own style.

-----------------------------
www.SltoCarJohnnies.com

·
Registered
130 Posts
SCJ is correct on all counts!

I've been looking for that GT40 forever! Unfortunately, whenever one appears for sale, the owner knows just how rare it is and priced accordingly!:p

Maybe I'll find one at a yard sale this weekend!:cool:

NICK DANGER

·
Registered
89 Posts
SCJ said:
Chassis, Black hood, #5...what?

Chassis are cheap, even NOS ones, and the ody is always where the money is unless your talking about modern day magnet racers.

The willys (again if Aurora) is a cigar box and in a very rare color and should be all green. The Camaro is in the hardest to find of the Xlerator colors, and the GT40 is an almost never seen car Xlerator as well.

But that's what makes this hobby great, everyone has their own style.

-----------------------------
www.SltoCarJohnnies.com
the xlerator willys had black hoods and no rear bumper,the gt 40 with the 5 on the hood is harder to find then the 2, when i shell out that kind of money i want a chassis .i hardly see xlerator chassis for sale

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have the Camaro , and the Firebird ( not in this auction) xlerator , I got them both in mint condition, in a rare Buy It Now auction for $50.00 two years ago ! But I have never even sniffed the GT40 before. . Oh buy the way . they both came with mint xlerator chassis and I tore them apart trying to use the arms out of them ! Oh well !

·
Registered
89 Posts
ya the arm has the gear machined right onto it you can have a good machinist remove it for you and use the arm that way what i did. i have also heard of useing the entire top plate gear assm on a tjet chassis going to try that when some cars i ordered come in

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
luke the duke said:
i have also heard of useing the entire top plate gear assm on a tjet chassis going to try that when some cars i ordered come in

Have picked up a few xcels for that purpose alone. Yes, they hum compared to the original regulars & tuffones. :thumbsup: rr

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Piz said:
I have the Camaro , and the Firebird ( not in this auction) xlerator , I got them both in mint condition, in a rare Buy It Now auction for $50.00 two years ago ! But I have never even sniffed the GT40 before. . Oh buy the way . they both came with mint xlerator chassis and I tore them apart trying to use the arms out of them ! Oh well !
Hey Piz, I did something like that last year... got that same Camaro, a yellow Firebird with silver/black trim, and a Chapparal and a J car, all original XLerators with chassis... got them Buy It Now for like $35.00. Kept the bodies, took apart the chassis to do Tjet conversions. I'm attaching a pic. Mine weren't mint... they all show playwear, the Firebird had cracked window posts, and I'm pretty sure it was the Camaro that was missing a rear bumper (I replaced it)... the Camaro and Firebird are sitting on JLTO chassis for now...

--rick

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
By the way Luke, I considered bidding on this auction (from the same seller as the above one) just because it seems like they're all XLerator chassis:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5920373296&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

in retrospect, I should have done it. 55 bucks including shipping is a steal... there's a guy on eBay who sells a kit with the XLerator parts to convert a Tjet for 20 bucks. Seven chassis, that's $140 in Tjet conversions... all you need is Magna-Traction magnets, and I have plenty of them...

--rick

·
Tyco & Mopar Freak!
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info!! Now i know what to look for at yard sale in future ... :)

Wes

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
luke the duke said:
i considered it also but didnt cause wanted to see how well the conversion worked first .
I have 4 converted ones, and parts to do 2 or 3 more... I like the results. One is an absolute screamer, one is pretty close, and the other two are nice smooth runners but not much faster than a good smooth fast Tjet.

--rick

·
Registered
89 Posts
WesJY said:
Thanks for the info!! Now i know what to look for at yard sale in future ... :)

Wes
i pick up any slot car i find at yard sales even if its somthing i dont want or like .because they make good trade bait at shows ,races, club meetings,and are realy cheap.trade of about 20 dollers in yard sale finds for a magnitraction corvette still on the card in nice shape guy needed what i had part of a set of glow in the dark tycos picked up a shoe box packed full from a estate sale.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
When buying Xlerators for use in modified Tjets........make sure your getting the Xlerator I or Ia style chassis!

There are three basic chassis designs for Xlerators (actually more if you include the subtle changes and/or material changes, but for this thread we'll go with three).

How do you tell one Xlerator chassis from the other, you ask?

Xlerator I
This chassis uses the same XL-Quadralam armature & gears set up as below, but has a full enclosed cover over the arm which makes things line up better, but does not allow air to flow across the armature, so they get hot quick!!!! This style is also harder to drop the body on because of the thickness of the cover.

Xlerator Ia
This chassis has a nice little brass "T" shaped piece that holds all the parts together including the XL-Quadralam armature & gears. This is the easiest to convert, and in my opinion best to use since it allows air to free flow across the arm, which as I mentioned above gets hot! This style also requires the least amount of body modifications when dropping the body for handling.

Xlerator II
Have an inline G-plus/Tyco 440 style armature, and can not be converted for use with pancake style Tjet chassis. On a side note, you can have some fun fooling your friends by modifying one to have straight front wheels (all Xlerators have the front wheels turned to the left) and putting it under your Tjet body, outside they look the same, inside they run very FAST!!!

With all of that said, please note this conversion is only good (speed wise) for about the first 12 feet of straightaway, so if you race on one longer then this, a well tuned Tjet, Tuff-Ones or JLTO will start to catch up. But, for the first 12 or so feet, these things pull like mad!

Hope this helps,

--------------------------
www.SlotCarJohnnies.com

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
luke the duke said:
the xlerator willys had black hoods and no rear bumper,the gt 40 with the 5 on the hood is harder to find then the 2......
While I agree with your quote above, the Xlerator Willy's did not come in Lime green and if you look close, the one pictured appears to have a license plate frame and rear bumper. Therefore lending credence to the fact it is either a repro or Aurora Cigarbox.

--------------------------------
www.SlotCarJohnnies.com

·
Tyco & Mopar Freak!
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Luke,

Anytime I go to flea market or yard sales - anytime I see any kind of slot cars i would buy them no matter what.

Wes

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Hmmm.....I have a question

I have a yellow, black & silver GT 40 ? (ParkRNDL has a picture of one just like mine)with the #3 on the hood and a #1 in a circle on the back. Is that a GT-40? If not, what is it? It came on a weird chassis that has some kind of cylindrical diode looking thing soldered onto the bottom behind the rear axle. The front wheels are angled to the left, as if making a left turn. Is that an Xlerator Ia? It has the brass bracket that looks kinda like a cross. I got it as part of a lot. It doesn't run. Is that a desirable car?

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Captain Fred said:
I have a yellow, black & silver GT 40 ? (ParkRNDL has a picture of one just like mine)with the #3 on the hood and a #1 in a circle on the back. Is that a GT-40? If not, what is it? It came on a weird chassis that has some kind of cylindrical diode looking thing soldered onto the bottom behind the rear axle. The front wheels are angled to the left, as if making a left turn. Is that an Xlerator Ia? It has the brass bracket that looks kinda like a cross. I got it as part of a lot. It doesn't run. Is that a desirable car?
The yellow #3 car in my pic is actually a Ford J car, and I'm pretty sure it's an XLerators body, which means the paint and colors are usually different from when it was offered as a Thunderjet body. SCJ could probably tell us if it's rare or valuable, but I'm thinking it's not... J car bodies generally don't fetch 10 bucks on Fleabay. Maybe there are valuable variations. Johnnie? you there?

The chassis you're describing is indeed what SCJ called a Ia. The XLerators sets never worked right from the factory; even Aurora employees were quoted saying as much in one of the Aurora history books. What the cars are great for, though, is hop-up parts for Thunderjets. Standard Tjet armatures have 2 laminations. The armature in that car has 4 laminations like the rare and valuable AFX Super II armature. With a little tweaking and a couple of Magnatraction motor magnets, that whole T-bracket and armature and gear train drops into a Thunderjet chassis and if you get a good combination where the motor and chassis like each other, it's like a day and night difference... as I mentioned before, guys sell kits containing these parts for around 20 bucks on the 'bay.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, the diode thing allowed 4 cars to run on a 2-lane slotless track with 3 rails per lane, by having 2 cars use the top half of an AC wave, and the other two use the bottom half.

Someone jump in and correct me if I screwed anything up...

--rick

1 - 20 of 30 Posts