Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
No nothing to get excited about.. An error collector would surely want it but today cars can be switched very easily and it would be his/her story in their collection.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
That Pontiac looks to have a white interior and sealed doors. But a quick search of Ebay for other GP coupes shows opening doors, so that's probably what it has.

Johnny Lightning blisters are specially fitted for each car. This is a good idea, because not only does it keep the vehicles in place, instead of knocking around inside like a HW's or MB. But I would imagine it makes packaging errors less likely.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That Pontiac looks to have a white interior and sealed doors. But a quick search of Ebay for other GP coupes shows opening doors, so that's probably what it has.
How good is probably? According to http://vintagebritishdiecasts.co.uk/1index/sf22-c.htm the red Pontiac was never made with closed doors but the purple one was. I think I will take a risk and see for myself. I already have one in better condition but what the heck.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kiwi, all of the regular wheel #22 Pontiacs have opening doors.
Including that one :thumbsup:
That's ok too. For 12 dollars (new zealand) it's a steal, I paid about 170 for the very mint with box because I was stupid. Haha. If I'm lucky, this one has at least a different base plate compared to the one I already have. :lol:

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Cardboard collector,

Error collector,

Baseplate variation collector, what's next? :lol:
You're probably aware of this, but some of the long-time MB collectors look for variations that you can only see when the casting is apart!
Different little nubs and protrusions, etc.
I guess whatever it takes to keep it interesting.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
You're probably aware of this, but some of the long-time MB collectors look for variations that you can only see when the casting is apart!
Oh yeah. Collecting... It's a long slippery road to insanity. Somewhere, there is a person losing sleep over finding that ultra rare 5D Routemaster bus with the untrimmed flash behind the right left wheel, measuring exactly one and one-half millimeter, count on it. And I hope they find some peace by finding it!

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not quite that far gone yet. :lol:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
As for the Datsun - The chinese text seems odd, and it is unpunched. I am wondering if it might have been a pre-production/prototype package they were testing out at the time and just used whatever car they had laying around.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As for the Datsun - The chinese text seems odd, and it is unpunched. I am wondering if it might have been a pre-production/prototype package they were testing out at the time and just used whatever car they had laying around.
If that was the case, it'd be worth a couple dollars to me but not that much. It doesn't upset me as much as having passed on the full set (except for one car) of the Chinese Matchbox lot that was a Fanta promotion and only in China. I should have got it then. They don't turn up here that often, so I tend to buy and think less these days. Stupid, I know. Gotta get back on track.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts