Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Its hard to say. 'Rubber' could mean either natural rubber, silicone, or who knows what. Silicone is whats used to cast resin into, any other material I have no idea how they'd react. 3" long seems a bit much for anything HO scale. But it does vaguely resemble the molds I use to cast cars from...

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
It is not a modern day resin mold thats for sure it nmay be a mold for making metal cars. That said the second part does not look right to go with the first. The stand offs look wrong especially the front one looks too high off the body Howeber if the size is right you could do a solid plug casting of the female mold and use it as a start for a new resin mold or vacuum form mold. The deminsions are too big for HO as the wheelbase of most cars is 1.5 inches and that is how wide this mld is.

Roger Corrie

Roger Corrie

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's hard to tell whether we are looking at two mold halfs or one mold half photographed from top and bottom angles. I believe this is only the top half of the mold. That would leave the task of pouring the bottom half. For this, you would need the master body. If you did not have the master, how would you create the spacing needed between the two halfs (that ultimately accepts the resin and becomes your cast body)? Just a thought.

·
Duke Dave of Sealand
2,879 Posts
noir said:
It's hard to tell whether we are looking at two mold halfs or one mold half photographed from top and bottom angles. I believe this is only the top half of the mold. That would leave the task of pouring the bottom half. For this, you would need the master body. If you did not have the master, how would you create the spacing needed between the two halfs (that ultimately accepts the resin and becomes your cast body)? Just a thought.

Thats easy.. slosh cast a body, grind it back out insert your mounts and pour a new inner.. guys do it all the time from Lexan and diecast bodys.

Coach

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I stumbled across this looking for something else. 1950's Car Making Mold Kit - Mobile O Craft by Metal Moss

There is your mold:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts