Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a new casting?
Haven't heard anyone talk about this one...if it's new or not it seems worthy of discussion. The casting itself looks really nice.
It does seem to lack some wheel detail and judging by the Jaguar XKE I have I assume it has a plastic base.

Photo from Milezones

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I think it was Readers Digest that originally put this out years ago. I have a gold one with black stripes. The name on the bottom says High Speed from China. Its a pretty decent casting.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up Dave .. Others may have seen these in the years past , but to me , these are new potential sources for more variety of 50s/60s American replicas .. there hasn't been much talk at all about them..

My impressions from what I see in the pic is that they nailed the shape and scale on this one .. It's much better than the JLs from the past..

The second Motor World release to come out soon has a very nice looking 55 Chev hardtop.. and oooooooooooh so nice 53 Caddy ...

The more new castings/releases from Motor World , even with cheap wheels and chassis , the better ..
Swapping / customizing is always welcome to improve the details..

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for bringing this up Dave .. Others may have seen these in the years past , but to me , these are new potential sources for more variety of 50s/60s American replicas .. there hasn't been much talk at all about them..

My impressions from what I see in the pic is that they nailed the shape and scale on this one .. It's much better than the JLs from the past..

The second Motor World release to come out soon has a very nice looking 55 Chev hardtop.. and oooooooooooh so nice 53 Caddy ...

The more new castings/releases from Motor World , even with cheap wheels and chassis , the better ..
Swapping / customizing is always welcome to improve the details..
Myself or Greenlight couldn't get anyone to say two words about that '53 Caddy in the other thread ...these deserve mention!!!

·
Registered
981 Posts
The Cadilac is also a previous issue from Readers Digest by High Speed. It is a very nice piece!
I've never heard of them before a couple of months ago..

What other American cars had they made in the past .. other than what we are seeing in these two recent releases?

Are they dinky? , or huge 1/64th in reality?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I'm slightly lost on the whole "Reader's Digest" putting out diecast cars. Would anyone care to elaborate on that a little more for one who is apparently vague on the subject?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I'm slightly lost on the whole "Reader's Digest" putting out diecast cars. Would anyone care to elaborate on that a little more for one who is apparently vague on the subject?

Robert, this story written by Dave Weber and Kimmo Sahakangas should clear up many of your questions.

http://www.breithaupts.com/totc442.htm

The Bel Air, Ford Truck and the Caddy were only used once and were never used again, until GL bought the rights to use the High Speed castings just this past year. All the castings used in GL's new line are High Speed castings. Many were previously used/sold at Wal Mart under the name Malibu International. Audi, Jaguar, and Land Rover are some of the brands that High Speed did.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Robert, this story written by Dave Weber and Kimmo Sahakangas should clear up many of your questions.

http://www.breithaupts.com/totc442.htm

The Bel Air, Ford Truck and the Caddy were only used once and were never used again, until GL bought the rights to use the High Speed castings just this past year. All the castings used in GL's new line are High Speed castings. Many were previously used/sold at Wal Mart under the name Malibu International. Audi, Jaguar, and Land Rover are some of the brands that High Speed did.
Thank you, Zach. And here I thought this series was just reg. GL fare with plastic bases to compete with the early sucess of the JL 40th line. I love that '63 thunderbird in the article BTW :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts