Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading different threads, and posting on some, the one thing that sticks with me is."..... If i was a new racer and reading this i would run away...." this is a HOBBY!!!! Its meant for fun, to meet other racing gearheads, bs and have a good time away from the pressures of life. I read the large scale threads and thought WOW!!!! I wouldnt go 1/4 scale racing if i could!!!! We need to remember how many people put their time into this hobby for 0$ and how all the complaining hurts them, i too am to blame!!

The HCOT tour was started with one persons vision and has turned out to have a great following thanks to guys who have supported and given their time to make it successful. Without them we wouldnt have this tour and likely the carpet scene here would be even less than it is now.

The racer i quoted earlier is one of many that will help anyone to get better. Racing along with everything else has become more expensive, get used to it. One doesnt need to win to have fun. Im going sunday will likely be 3-4 laps down but ill have fun doing it and bs with a great group of people.thats what rc racing should be about.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Some where there is a book, but it is invisible.

If you are better than a Beginner.

Do not ask for help on driving
Do not ask for help on setup
Do non ask of help on tires

They will say.
What works for you will not work for me.
What works for me will not work for you.
They ask for more Good Racers. but they must get there on there OWN. NO HELP.

this is my Opinion and you know what that is worth.

23 years racing (RC) 1/12, 1/10 carpet, 1/4 scale blacktop. still having a hard time. and being BASHED for asking...

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I think there is still good in r/c but it sure has changed alot since I started. I think one of the reasons that r/c. was big years ago is that most people were on the same page as far as knowledge. Nobody knew anything and we were all happy!

I guess what I mean is that you didn't have to have a car " set on kill" to be competitive. Man, the hoopty cars that used to be run when I started would make you laugh now, but people were able to be competitive with them and they had good time.

I don't know how to explain it but it seems like we lost most of the people that were just out to have a good time. I am certainly not blaming the new tech that we have but I think it intimidates some. I for one would love to see oval racing drop some classes. Just have stock and modified like the old days. It would be cool to be racing more than 3 other people in each class.

·
Racer
3,264 Posts
I wouldn't have read it had you not mentioned it, but wow...It's a good thing we don't elect officials like the quarter scale guys.

"Fun" for each of us in this hobby can mean different things. Just because some like to be competitive and have good racing with rules that make sense, doesn't mean we aren't having fun. Competition is what keeps me racing, and hanging out with friends...but please, don't mistake a desire to be competitive as someone who lacks the ability to have fun. This is racing; if competitiveness wasn't part of it we wouldn't be using transponders! Competition is part of the hobby and the fun for me.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Yes there is!!! This year I raced three classes: Outlaw Truck(13.5 open), Outlaw Legend(21.5 blink, gear limit) and 13.5 COT Spec.

The outlaw truck class has some of the fastest guys racing here. While the top four are racing for the win, the best racing, rubbing, setup, side by side is in the middle of the pack and we finish feeling good about.

Outlaw Legends - we don't know who is going to win but its a lot of fun bumping and side by side racing. From the young to well aged, it is nice knowing your win was earned.

13.5 COT Spec - All out driving your line and being consistent. I have had alot of side by side and crossing passing going on in this class.

The best part of it all you here in Florida, we race the same group of racers at a variety of tracks.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
i still love r/c racing. some of my best freinds i would have never met had it not been for racing. its still a great hobby to me.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I can get fed up at time with the BS, the politics, the rules-making side of the hobby, but most of that stress only exists here online. By the time you make it to the track, I really enjoy the racing (even practice) and I really enjoy the guys I race with. The only reason we still run the BRL is because we like the guys we race with, and its an excuse to get together with them and hang out and have some fun racing.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have 36 yrs. in this hobby and I still have a great time every time I go racing. Things have changed alot in that time. I still try to make it out once a week.
Butch

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I still love it as much as when I started in 1986. :thumbsup:
I still love it as much as I did when I started in 1988!

I think its great at our tracks we help everyone....look I dont give away a brand new set of tires and hand over one of my best batteries.

But I do give away old batteries and tires for guys to run the carpet on. They may be like dbl prups for the right front. I see who has low bucks. I used to set my carpet car up to run the tires down to about 2.04 (after that my ride height was too low). I know there is guy who races with us that runs his down to the rims. He doesn't have alot of cash. So he gets all my old tires. I have a huge bag of RC4less that he will get next carpet race.

My old cars I sell real cheap.

I tell them what I know....but I also warn them I aint great! But I have 'safe' set up. They wont roll over or spin out in the turns.

And I always felt I have been treated good by other racers in the pits. Now on the track can be a differant story!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you guys!!!! This is what racing is all about. Posts like these make me glad i race. All the posts (except maybe the first one lol) is what new racers need to see!!!

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
I have a great time, I almost never win and still have fun. Heck I'm going to the birds again this year just to have fun. I went in 2000 and 01 had a blast then too. At the end of the day its just a hobby to have fun and get away from it all. People forget that from the club all the way to the top but I just ignore the trolls! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
It's easy for people to complain about some issues they don't like so that often fills the forums with those kinds of posts. But in reality, most racers will tell you there is A LOT more positives than negatives in this hobby.

I cannot think of any other hobby in this world that incorporates so many different aspects like RC racing:

• Fellowship with other racers
  • Hand-eye coordination and reflexes
  • Learning about physics
  • Learning about electronics
  • Becoming more mechanically inclined in using small tools.
  • Rewarded for paying attention to details
  • Learning sportsmanship and patience
  • Learning a systematic approach to racing to reduce variables
  • Learning about yourself as you realize there are others better than you. When Pete D'Agnolo walks through the door, do you sigh and feel like giving up, or become excited about the challenge?
  • Satisfaction of personal accomplishments as you get faster
What a great hobby!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I still love it as much as when I started in 1986. :thumbsup:
Me too, Mike!

As for the 1/4 scale guys, It's funny, I race my 1/4 scale at local or national events every weekend and I don't see any of the crap here on Hobbytalk. Everyone has a great time for the most part. I see a lot of good sportsmanship on and off the track. So don't let what's being said here on Hobbytalk keep you from checking out 1/4 scale racing. It's the most fun I've had in 26 years of R/C racing.

Dave

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
I love r/c as much as I ever have - but that's because in part of HAVING my OWN CLASS.

I race for fun - I race with others who race for fun - we challenge each other - but for the most part we also work with and communicate with each other - (We crash each other too) - but none of the guys I race with get to race alot, most just once a month. None of us are "GREAT" drivers, nor have "GREAT" setups. Our class is NOT a normal class run at ANY track, so nobody gets Extra track time - so none of us has to play "Catch Up" if we miss a race.

By running our OWN class - we aren't IN THE WAY of the guys who run the "Serious" classes - who are all within .001 of each other.

I see a lot of Yelling - and Frustration - and Bad Feelings in those classes too often. THAT'S NOT FUN...I'm SORRY so I won't be a part of it.

Long Live our "Sportsman Mod 21.5/2c group"

·
pancar schizophrenic
3,303 Posts
i have to say, i have only been in the RC hobby since 2000, didnt start attending races til 2004 and didnt start to get really into the hobby til 2008. i have to say that every single year since 08' i have noticed the hobby getting better for me. its hard to believe that it was about 4 years ago now i was buying the latest and greatest 4 cell battery for my pancar, and was excited to see the incorporation of brushless into the hobby. some ppl dont agree, but i think the racing now is the best it has been, least since i started. its nice not buying/building the newest round cells every week, or rebuilding motors every other heat. yes some of it was fun, but when u look on it now, its really nice not having to do all that. i do however agree that having less classes would be kinda nice, i think three would be just about perfect, Truck, Stock, Mod. but to the original question, is there any good racing anymore? i would have to say yes, pretty much everywhere i have been is good racing. i can say that i have left at least 90% of all my races with a smile on my face. the other 10%? i was probably miserable about how i did, but thats my doing, its called racing, and we move on, not like many ppl are going to remember what A main you won at a race on such and such a date, i know i can remember most of mine, only for the fact i have so few of them. but i have not seen many hobbies where ppl are txting eachother at 1 in the morning, like asking about setup help, or did u see this or hear about that, just funny when you sit down and look at it. so if at the end of the day u can walk away with that in racing, that means there is still good Racing...

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've been racing for 22 years now and I still look forward to the next race every week. Sure, it's about racing and being competitive which is fun in itself. The best part of it for me though is the people I get to meet and spend time with.

I owe this hobby everything that I am today. The friends that I made when I was 13 I'm still friends with to this day and they have become more like family than anything else. I've also been in a heavily electro mechanical industry for the last 15 years which I highly doubt I would be in if it weren't for fiddling with these cars.

Now as we get older, my friends are all getting their kids involved in the hobby. Just watching their enthusiasm and the kinships they are developing I can certainly say this hobby will have a lasting positive effect on them as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts