Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just posting a new message and noticed at the top of the page, including the page I am writing on now, a message reading: SECURITY AND DATE BREACH NOTIFICATION CLICK HERE! I figured it might be crap and it really makes no sense so I clicked. It immediately sent the page off to some type of advertising site for the couple of seconds I spent there before closing the page. I am assuming this might be a serious hack as I can't imagine HT allowing something purposely. Someone needs to take a look.:surprise:

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Strange I don't see anything like what you're describing ?
Denis

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
HT had me reset my password friday because of a security issue.
I expect all members will be prompted to do this soon if they haven't been already.
If you're unable to log in, check your email.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Whatever happened really sucks. I never got a notification, could not log in, nothing. I figured it was linked to an old email that does not exist anymore. I had to create a new account so that is why I am robiwon2 now instead of just robiwon. I sent a notification to the Admins but never heard anything back, not surprised..... Looks like the robiwon account is dead and gone forever.....

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Now it's gone. It was in the area that is reserved for ads so it was probably a type of ad, scaring you to click on it. Yeah, that'll make me wanna buy something. How desperate to sell something can you get?

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now it's gone. It was in the area that is reserved for ads so it was probably a type of ad, scaring you to click on it. Yeah, that'll make me wanna buy something. How desperate to sell something can you get?
Well that was certainly a very odd ad and considering the malicious crap that goes on these days if it was an ad they should not have run it that way. It likely would have been very difficult to place something on a webpage like that without the authorization of the site so maybe it was a legit ad, but the administrators should have told the buyer to do it differently if so. I suppose if they pay enough though they can get what they want and if it wasn't malicious then no harm done.

·
Registered
575 Posts
That was strange that you saw an ad. I saw the same notice at the top of each page and I clicked on it and was taken to a web page that was a notice from the forum owner stating that they had discovered that their websites had been hacked and what info the hackers got and that they were now implementing new password protocols. Maybe later on someone switched it????

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think it was an ad. I run Adblocker and don't see anything. No pop ups either.
Me too. I like it that way. Some sites do not like that. They won't let me post or open pix unless I disable it. Eff 'em! They make enough money being in your face. Not in mine they don't! Ha! :lol:

Doug

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
There have been a number of very reputable sites which inadvertently became distribution points for viruses because of an ad placed on them. Site owners rent the space and the advertiser fills it with what they want. Some ads use 'gif-bugs'- a single pixel trigger which is invisible (same color as the background) that can initiate all sorts of things if you simply pass the mouse cursor over it.
For me ad blocking is not a matter of aesthetics, it is matter of security.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Might be time for me to leave again for a year. The way HT is being run, lack of support or responses from Admins, the $4177y way the whole pass word fiasco took place, I'm getting fed up with it. Time to back away from the keyboard and go build another model before I get banned.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Might be time for me to leave again for a year. The way HT is being run, lack of support or responses from Admins, the $4177y way the whole pass word fiasco took place, I'm getting fed up with it. Time to back away from the keyboard and go build another model before I get banned.
Somebody in authority has to actually be looking at this site for you to be banned.
Considering it takes a month for obvious SPAM to be dealt with after multiple 'Report this post' notifications and some of the outrageous pi55ing contests which have erupted which ended only after people got bored, I doubt any banning will occur.

Hobbytalk works by generating revenue from ads- if traffic keeps dropping then this site will no longer be considered a good investment and will be sold off to yet another new owner.

The current operators do not seem to understand the role of a moderator and how some control over this site, some communication could turn things around. It is a thankless position, a volunteer who has to step in and stop the kids from fighting and spend their time trying to keep things running smoothly. As far as I know they have not bothered to even ask any member to fill the vacancies.

All their actions (and inactions) are doing is causing more members to give up and leave. Every voice lost here makes those remaining to wonder why they remain. I feel stupid sticking around myself and am nearing the tipping point...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Honestly, the only reason I like this site is the ability to actually post real pictures. I enjoy looking at others work without having to constantly click on links to see a picture. I belong to a dozen FB modeling groups that provide just as much info, show pictures and is just as diverse as HT is.
Say what you will about FB, but joining specific modeling groups on FB is just like joining an online community forum. And you can post real pictures there too! Plus, they are heavily moderated by the owners.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I like being able to see photos without having to use links- most likes also seem to connect to Photobucket which used to be good and is not a royal pain to use.

I don't do social media- just don;t care for it. I keep one account active because I am trying to locate a client to complete a commission- I really do not care what people have had for lunch.

I do belong to a number of other forums, some more active than others. A lot of people cross post so there is redundancy.

What makes HT great is that the history of old threads- SSM clips theirs off after a couple of weeks of no activity to save space. HT keeps them forever, although a lot of times links are dead. I like being able to go back to subjects which were trendy when the kit was new, now it is old news but I still want to build mine.

Still, the way things are going I doubt I am going to be around here much longer myself.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Easy way to get around that is don't add friends to FB, just join the individual modeling groups by subject. But to each their own. There is definitely a lot more content on the FB groups than many forums put together. I post more in the those groups than I do here at HT, hardly ever on SSM.

I'm not trying to sway anyone to FB groups but the old complaint of not wanting to know what people ate, or cute pet pictures, etc, is because those posts come from adding friends and coworkers. The modeling groups themselves don't allow crap like that.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Easy way to get around that is don't add friends to FB, just join the individual modeling groups by subject. But to each their own. There is definitely a lot more content on the FB groups than many forums put together. I post more in the those groups than I do here at HT, hardly ever on SSM.

I'm not trying to sway anyone to FB groups but the old complaint of not wanting to know what people ate, or cute pet pictures, etc, is because those posts come from adding friends and coworkers. The modeling groups themselves don't allow crap like that.
I just quit "following" friends who post nonsense most of the time. And some for political reasons too! There is a lot of good stuff on FB though and you can get helpful hints if you ask on the correct groups.

Reactions: robiwon2
1 - 20 of 20 Posts