Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only been posting for a couple of months, but, I note that new threads, apart from mine, are getting less and less - I seem, apart from Ray's Tucker, to have a monopoly on this page!

I know, for instance, that Domenic has a huge Ferrari collection - others must have 1:43s to show....

I appreciate, that most of the cars, in my collection, were never sold in the US. I'm trying to post cars which were available in North America, or maybe, were rather obscure, and therefore unknown on the other side of the pond (remember I'm British).

To be honest, I'm wondering, if it is worth continuing to post....

Any thoughts?

Steve

·
Registered
269 Posts
jinx said:
I've only been posting for a couple of months, but, I note that new threads, apart from mine, are getting less and less - I seem, apart from Ray's Tucker, to have a monopoly on this page!

I know, for instance, that Domenic has a huge Ferrari collection - others must have 1:43s to show....

I appreciate, that most of the cars, in my collection, were never sold in the US. I'm trying to post cars which were available in North America, or maybe, were rather obscure, and therefore unknown on the other side of the pond (remember I'm British).

Any thoughts?

Steve
I'll post some of my cars, I'll have to research how to post pictures.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Steve: I like 43rd scale; it has been my favorite since I got hooked on Dinky & Corgi when I was a kid. However it is not at all a popular scale in the USA and where I live, in the mountain west, there is even less interest. I go to a toy show in Colorado once or twice a year. I am lucky to find just one obolete 43rd scale die cast (usually it is a Norev or Solido). However the show is full of 18th scale, 64th scale, farm equipment, NASCAR and some 25th scale plastic promos. I know no retailers within driving distance where I can buy 43rd scale; anything I get comes mail order. I am grateful to get Minichamps, Auto Art, a few IXO and a few Schuco Junior models. So, the lack of interest in this mostly American forum may be indicative of the lack of interest in the scale among Americans. I very much like the 64th scale die cast releases from American companies of American cars - especially Johnny Lightning and Greenlight. I prefer American cars and Mercedes and I can at least get some satisfaction from new releases in 64th scale as American cars are quite available now to me. I'll always prefer 43rd, but it is frustrating to have such a lack of availability.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
jinx said:

Any thoughts?

Steve

I think I know how you feel Steve. The 1/43 scale forum has a better chance to die if you (jinx) quit posting. If it wasn't for you, there wouldn't be very many new threads in the 1/43 scale forum. Click on diecast and take a look at the other forums. The Johnny Lightning forum has over 12,000 threads with over 211,000 views. Johnny Lightning White Lightnings has over 3300 threads with over 32,000 views. The Greenlight Collectibles has over 500 threads with over 4,900 views (This is a fairly new forum that was started shortly before the 1/43 scale forum). These forums are for 1/64 scale diecast for the most part. The 1/64 scale is the most popular scale to collect in the USA.

Keep posting Steve. If you are disappointed, just slow down a little with the new threads, but by all means don't quit posting. Checkout some of the other forums. Hobby Talk is a GREAT PLACE! :thumbsup:

I have diecast cars from 1/87 scale to 1/12 scale, but I like 1/64 scale the best. Johnny Lightning and Greenlight in 1/64 scale are my favorites. These small diecast cars are very detailed and are a fraction of the cost of a very detailed 1/43 scale diecast car.

I was a 1/43 scale diecast collector before being a 1/64 scale Johnny Lightning / Greenlight collector. I remember people calling 1/43 scale the "International Scale" because people around the world collected 1/43 scale.

Brooklin Models are my favorite 1/43 scale company. I can't think of any hobby stores in my area that carry Brooklin Models anymore. They are just too expensive for the hobby stores in my area to stock. I have over 200+ Brooklin Models. They are all packed away in storage boxes. :cry: When the 1/43 scale forum was started, my interest was revived.

Let's see some new 1/43 scale threads from some other members! (Or at least a reply to a thread so we know that there are people visiting this forum)

You have a very impressive 1/43 scale collection of diecast cars Steve! :thumbsup: Thanks for your hard work of starting new threads.

Sorry for the long read.

Take Care!............Ray

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response guys.

I know that in North America, 1:64 & 1:18 hold sway - I have visited the other boards dealing with JL & Greenline, and must admit to a touch of jealousy, when I see many US cars I would like to add in 1:43. Being a bit contrary, I only collect 1:43 as I like to have everthing in the same scale - yes, my CD collection is in alphabetical order as well!

Incidentally, 1:43 may seem an odd scale, being neither metric or imperial - like most scales it derives from model railway guages - in this case "O" guage, which from memory is 7mm : 1 foot! We need to thank Frank Hornby for the prevalance of 1:43, as originally vehicles in this scale (or near) were made by Dinky, as accessories for railroad dioramas. The cars then became, toys in their own right.

Like a lot of people, including Ranchero, I had a lot of Dinky, Corgi & Spot-On cars as a child - all long gone, but, they sparked my interest in all things motorcar. It was only about 10 years ago that I started collecting, when I saw adverts for Lledo's, then new, Vanguards range - models of cars, such as the Ford Anglia & Triumph Herald, which I grew up with, so starting to collect was a bit of a nostalgia kick for me. Since then, my interest & tastes have developed, to the extent, that as long as it is 1:43, it is fair game!

Anyway, I've rambled on a bit - let's hope that a few more people join in on the 1:43 board, as in truth, I enjoy sharing my collection.

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
I really prefer 1/43 to anything else. I got started in 1/48 Aircraft so they are pretty close as far as photography. But they are more expensive. They are harder to get in the US. (Read that WalMart don't sell many of 'em.) And there is very seldom any detailing that I have do to 'em. So there is kind of a detachment to them once I get them. I don't customize them due to thier expense.

I'll post some more of mine but I've been working on our house. I've been knocked off a ladder twice in as many months. So it might be better phrased "I'm working 'off' our house. But when I get some time I'll do a shoot. I don't want to see this forum die out. I will repeat one thing I've been saying; because I think it bears repeating. 1/43 scale needs to be included in the "Forum Jump." It'd make it a lot easier to get back to it.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
ClearHooter said:
I will repeat one thing I've been saying; because I think it bears repeating. 1/43 scale needs to be included in the "Forum Jump." It'd make it a lot easier to get back to it.
I agree with you 100% ClearHooter! :thumbsup: I've said that from the beginning.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hey guys- I just want to say that even though I'm not an active 43 collector, I verry much enjoy Steve's posts and pictures. Some of the cars I've seen on this board are not available in 64 and are really spectacular models. Please, don't be discouraged, and keep the pictures coming :thumbsup: :wave:

Sorry, that goes for Stutz, ClearHooter and everybody else too!! :wave:

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SkipperC said:
Hey guys- I just want to say that even though I'm not an active 43 collector, I verry much enjoy Steve's posts and pictures. Some of the cars I've seen on this board are not available in 64 and are really spectacular models. Please, don't be discouraged, and keep the pictures coming :thumbsup: :wave:

Sorry, that goes for Stutz, ClearHooter and everybody else too!! :wave:
Thanks for the vote of confidence!

:wave:

Steve

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Sorry; I tried to take some pix of a few 1/43s tonight, but my camera went on the fritz; the autofocus stopped working, and I don't think there is a manual focus anywhere on it. Gonna have to break out the instruction booklet, I guess, if I can find it!

Still, I certainly appreciate everyone's pix on this board, so please keep posting! The threads are very educational - I never would have imagined that the Matra M530 was being produced in scale diecast! Thanks, jinx, and everyone here for broadening my diecast horizons. I'll try to get back on board soon - maybe with a new camera...

·
Registered
659 Posts
ClearHooter said:
I will repeat one thing I've been saying; because I think it bears repeating. 1/43 scale needs to be included in the "Forum Jump." It'd make it a lot easier to get back to it.

Now this forum is included in the "Forum Jump" menu.

Vadim

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
vadim said:
Now this forum is included in the "Forum Jump" menu.

Vadim
I hope this attracts HT members who didn't visit here before to stop in and check this great forum out.

Thanks for being our sponsor Vadim! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I must admit I don't post much in this forum as I don't have many 1/43 in my collection. But I read it almost every day, so please DO NOT stop posting! I ENJOY your pictures guys, and especially like some additional info that goes with the cars. Keep on doing the good work everyone, and thanks for your pictures! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts