Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I am a new JL collector. I used to collect Hot Wheels only, but about three months ago I have discovered a great deal of detail and love these (JL) cars are made with. Since then I have got about 200 Johnny Lightnings. The problem is that I enjoy them so much and just cannot keep them inside their packages. I open them almost immediately after the purchase or opening of the mail box. I really really enjoy holding them, opening the hoods, rolling, etc, and never really regreted opening them. I open all the Jls. Heck, I even opened my Citroen, which is relatively HTF. Recenly, though, I kind of started feeling guilty, since 95% of my Hot Wheels collection reside inside the blisters. Now, as more experienced JL collectors, please, honestly tell me: am I nuts? Is it really a "Sin" to open all the JL cars? Is anybody else doing this?

Thank you very much!
Best regards,
Eugene.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
There is certainly nothing wrong with opening your JLs. I get more enjoyment out of carrying them around with me than I do keeping them sealed up. I usually take an open JL with me wherever I go. I would open more of mine if I had displays for them and I would get displays for them if I could convince my wife that they look good in our living room.

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the board! I only think it's a sin to open the ones with the funny white wheeled, bottomed, interiored, white lightning on the tires, and white or gold hubs!!:p

No, really they are toys, and should be enjoyed. If you enjoy them open, then open 'em up. If you think you like them displayed in the packages,...buy 2, and open the other!

You will need nice display cases, and Carney Plastics have what you need.

Now,...post away "newbee":jest:

·
Registered
582 Posts
elevit said:
... as more experienced JL collectors, please, honestly tell me: am I nuts? Is it really a "Sin" to open all the JL cars? Is anybody else doing this?
Nothing stays in the package! :)

zeb41 said:
I would open more of mine if I had displays for them and I would get displays for them if I could convince my wife that they look good in our living room.
Mrs. HMMWV let me buy these custom cases from Grandpa Jon because she was tired of the 48-car garages everywhere. (They are displayed in the office.) When I'm allowed to have cases made for my CREEPSTERS, they might get to go in the den.

wlpaul said:
I only think it's a sin to open the ones with the funny white wheeled, bottomed, interiored, white lightning on the tires, and white or gold hubs!!:p
Sometimes you can get mis-information here. :jest: Take them all out...

Johnny Lightning HUMMER Release 1

M1025A2 Tow Missile Carrier HUMVEE

Off Road Racing HUMMER Driver: Rod Hall

Civilian HUMMER 4-door Wagon

Atlantic Beach Rescue HUMMER

Join the WLLM!

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
I open all mine, WLs, Fest Cars, whatever, you can't roll and play with a car in the package!

Gerald
President WLLM (White Lightning Liberation Movement)

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
A SIN? YES. :p

Just keep the packaging in a safe place after you carefully open it with white gloves.

I must admit, I have over 300 JLs LOOSE. I even have LOOSE WLs that had damaged packaging, or I just felt brave and opened them. If there is a car I am particularly fond of, I usually buy 2. One to open, one to keep safe. For me, I usually buy 2 cars that are new castings.

Sometimes, you HAVE to keep the cars in their package. Here at (former) PM, there is a framed set of the first commemoratives with the numbered pogs. The pogs are numbered 0001-0008. If they were opened, they just become a run-of-the-mill car rather than the "first ones".

My 2¢.

R

·
0 Posts
pms485 said:
Sometimes, you HAVE to keep the cars in their package. Here at (former) PM, there is a framed set of the first commemoratives with the numbered pogs. The pogs are numbered 0001-0008. If they were opened, they just become a run-of-the-mill car rather than the "first ones".

My 2¢.

But all that really means is that the POG's labels were #'s 0001-0008, doesn't it? Without the number on the base of the car, those could have been the last cars out of the molds and down the line to get finished, couldn't they?

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I only keep them in original packaging if they are either trade bait or if the packaging actually adds something to the display, like the owl on the Blair Witch card or some of the older JLs, like the U.S. Cavalry Hummer or the Holiday Dragsters. :thumbsup:

I miss the old card art.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you very much, guys! I feel much better now :) ! I don't have any white lightnings as of yet, so, I guess, I have to get rid of this feeling of guilt, and just do what my collector's heart desires! :)

Best regards to everyone!

-Eugene-

·
Registered
246 Posts
Opening Or Not

I'm generally NOT an opener. But, lately to satisfy the slight "opening" side of me, I've been buying and opening Black cars. I can't open my BWF Camaro though. Maybe if I find another I will.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I have been setting more and more JL's free latley, Ive opened up a few here and there in the past, but If I open them then I usually want to display them. I picked up some nice displays at fest so I have been setting more and more free now!!

I only have one WL thats loose, White Cuda.

I think the opening of BP is "Pro Choice"...... But unless someone else opens one of your blisters after slipping you a roofy, than thats just Wrong! :p

·
Registered
318 Posts
I always thought that they looked 1000% better out of the packs.

I suppose maybe if you look at your collection and decide that one day in the distant future it may become something that someone could make some money off of then it may be a better idea to keep them packaged.

I am selfish however I want to roll them around and examine them the packing gets in the way of all that inner child fun!! I have seen many people post pics of their collections and with all of them, I just want to break through the screen and open all the amazing diecast that so many people have displayed away.

Just an inner child thing I guess!!

Phil

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
elevit said:
I really really enjoy holding them, opening the hoods, rolling, etc...

Thank you very much!
Best regards,
Eugene.
I can't believe nobody mentioned the most important part...

You MUST make the vroom vroom noises as you roll them around the desk/table/floor/play set. Otherwise you just don't get the full effect.

My wife thinks I'm weird. :p:jest:

--rick

1 - 20 of 29 Posts