Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I am, working on a typical 6' folding leg table, with my little green 16X20 cutting matt in front of me with tools to the right, glues in front and other needed stuff. When I start for the evening everything is nice and neat, but in about an hour I look around and all I the work space I have in front of me is about 12X12 (or smaller). What happened? All this clutter, like a tornado hit, scattered about in my way. Did my tools grow legs? Gees!

I just wondered if anyone else has this happen? From organization to utter chaos in no time flat! So, I straighten it up AGAIN but to no avail. In no time at all I end up with just a small space to work....on a 6' table!!

Is it just me?

hal9001-

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I don't have ANY room on my table and I'm too lazy to unclutter it. I'm now working on a footstool in front of the TV and I'm running out of room.
The dining table's next....

Chris.:)

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
ex pres Bush has legs....same goes for many tools in politics and who run large corporations.

Ohhh! you mean Hobby and craft TOOLS.

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Yeah Fluke, he was talking about Tools that were Useful...
Denis

·
Oxidation Genius
31,277 Posts
Last week my wife moved everything out of her hobby room, painted the walls, resurfaced her workbench, got new shades and new shelves, put everything back in neat, organized order.... and this week she's back down to a 12" x 12" work area surrounded by unintelligible clutter.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
LOL.....what me silly?

Clutter for me on my bench means the creative process
is in full gear.

Yeah Fluke, he was talking about Tools that were Useful...
Denis

·
Registered
531 Posts
Last week my wife moved everything out of her hobby room, painted the walls, resurfaced her workbench, got new shades and new shelves, put everything back in neat, organized order.... and this week she's back down to a 12" x 12" work area surrounded by unintelligible clutter.
LOL, at least she had that brief shining moment of organization. Hope she took pictures. From the look of her work, quality is not suffering from the mess.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Same thing happens to me. Now I try to take about an hour before calling it quits for the night and put things back where they should be. It's tough when I'm working on, like, six projects at a time, but I'm trying to be more disciplined. I think "trying" is the operative word here. So far I haven't put a Preddy arm on a beach babe, but the day is young. I particularly like the "creative juices flowing" excuse. Also trying to make more space by selling a bunch of kits. Get back to "buy and build" state of mind, ya know.

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
I love clutter, If I organize and clean up. it takes me a couple of days to find everything again. Now I just tend to "neaten" up my work area, just throwing out the things that can be thrown out, leaving the clutter behind.
Drives my room mate crazy he is one of those who likes to have the house looking like a show house with not one thing out of place and no clutter anywhere. Every once in a while I do go through and put everything up, usually when I finish a big project and leave it that way for about a week, but it quickly returns to it's state of organized disorder.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Are there any work benches in real life that aren't cluttered??? If there are they probably aren't being used. I do have some tools that I keep in the same place, hanging from nails over my bench, but the bench is covered with paints, glues, tools, and numerous kits. The biggest problem is every once in a while I can't find a part or a tool that I need and then I have to look in every nook and cranny and between every paint bottle. I have started keeping each kit and all its parts in a project box so I don't lose the parts. Take a look at this mess:

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Actually it is EASY to explain. One set of tools is shard between the same person in BOTH UNIVERSES. When you can't find it, it's being used by the other you in another Universe. Once they have finished with the tool, it shows up on your work bench.

On a similar note, the Kaydee Knuckle springs vanish into the alternate universe when accidentally dropped from tweezers. That's why you don't hear it hit the floor.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
It's not just tools, but model parts as well seem to have legs. Many times I'm sitting working on a project and goe to pick up a particular piece only to discover it's not there!! Latley I've been working on 3 of the old AMT fire truck kits with and several times a piece has gone bye, bye on me.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
When I had a 'work bench' of sorts, actually a deep window ledge providing good light, that I'd sit at, with all my equipment spread out in front of me, spiders and cobwebs took hold beneath the newspaper I'd put down. It got like an Aurora monster kit in all that clutter, cobwebs, insects, spiders...
Now I'm living in a different place, and I set up my model stuff each time in the front room and work at a small table I bring out, and on my knee too, and put it away again afterwards- that prevents clutter building up.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Now I'm living in a different place, and I set up my model stuff each time in the front room and work at a small table I bring out, and on my knee too, and put it away again afterwards- that prevents clutter building up.
But that takes all of the fun out of building models.:tongue:

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
Actually it is EASY to explain. One set of tools is shard between the same person in BOTH UNIVERSES. When you can't find it, it's being used by the other you in another Universe. Once they have finished with the tool, it shows up on your work bench.
That's as reasonable an explanation as any other I've ever heard.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts