Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, It's getting hot in this place. These are just toy cars people. If you don't like em' you don't have to buy em'. I'm just happy we got new HO cars to buy. A few years back I was worried about not having any source for new HO cars. I'm not knocking 1/24 and 1/32. I've done both and returned to HO. They are all fun. I wish we could keep this hobbie as light hearted as it should be. I have cars that I spent lots of money on for specific races and I still don't get that serious about it, cause there's always the next race. We slotcar guys need to stick together. Eachother is all we have in a hobbie that probably won't survive the next generation in the video game age. Most of the guys I race with are guys who had them as a kid. Kids now days would rather play video games than race a slotcar and they're too eager to hand the car off to an adult for repairs when they break. Ok enough rambling. Just remember to enjoy your cars and if you lose a race there's always next time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Stick together huh? yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!!. just keep letting them lead you on & promising you the moon...Hope your happy with another green charger.........Tom O.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Lets look at this a little different. The Golden Age of Slot Cars was suppose to be the mid to late 60s.

I say for HO it is now. Look at the wide range of products that are available. Juts the variety of cars for all the resin casters plus the great stuff coming from Dash and Autoworld. Look at the aftermarket parts and if it ain't made all you have to do is ask and JW or RTHO will make it for you. There is something for everyone from the Modeler to the Racer to the Collector times are great. I know I am a little older and wise but I also have a little more money to blow. Also this here Internet is a blast we all have met so many great people in our hobby. As for first class racing there is major racing going on all over the Country some have it better than others but there are major TJET races in CA, WA , the Midwest, the North East and a spattering throughout the south. The parts to build any of the different TJET classes are too numerous to mention. Modeling couldn't be better as new resources are popping up all the time for decals and with MEV's wheels and his carrying the Vincent line plus RRR wheels things are looking great. As for bodies on the TJET front if it was a real car someone can make a TJET version. On the AFX side look at the great stuff coming out of Slot Car Innovations and of course the new AW bodies in the pipeline and Dash has some cool stuff slated for the AFX crowd too. As for the Collectors there is plenty to keep them happy any way you look. The only area that need improvement is the track scenery selection as there is not mush new here. But I have hope that this will improve also. Just take a hard look at what you can do in our Hobby Today and compare it to the 80 - 90s. For Pancake lovers it was kind of barren.

All I can say is thank you to

AutoWorld
Dash MotorSports
BRP
MEV
RRR
Thunder Oil
JW
RTHO
Rocket Science
ThunderSlicks
ThunderBrushes
SlotPro
C and R Racing
Scale AUto

and the list goes on and on and on

Thank you to evryone who spends his time energy and money making our Hobby that much better and Hobby Talk for giving us a place to hang out and make to work day a lot less dreary

Having a blast with what we have available Today

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
I just recently got back into slot cars (after a leave of about 40 years). Thunderjet 500s are the ones I run. I had my first track set when I was about 8-10 y/o. I am amazed (and a little lost) with all the product available now. If this kind of stuff was around years ago I might have never left the hobby. I still like the Aurora lock and joiner track (which I have just bought probably at least 100 feet plus of various size track pieces). I wish I had more room to set it up (well maybe some day). I had fun with this stuff as a kid :) and I am having a ball now. So when I see all the negativity on here about this and that I can't believe it :confused: . This hobby has and always will be FUN for me. There is always going to be an after-market and always a better deal than the one you got. That's just the way it goes. So just try to relax and enjoy the hobby.

Peace and race-on,
Jerry

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
ogarfield said:
Stick together huh? yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!!. just keep letting them lead you on & promising you the moon...Hope your happy with another green charger.........Tom O.
Nobody promised ME the moon. Someone suggested I might have some new slot cars to play with soon, but nothing like the moon. Nothing that affects me being able to feed my family or play with the toys I have now either. Actually, nobody's leading me anywhere, either. I have no idea why some folks are so worked up about little toy cars and when they come out, unless there's a personal axe to grind somewhere. It's like trying to make TL the Preston Tucker of slot cars.

man, this is getting a little freaky... soon people are gonna be swearing there were two Mopar repaints on the grassy knoll...

but I'm still having fun playing with little cars. Right, Roger? :wave:

--rick

·
Registered
618 Posts
mtyoder said:
...Eachother is all we have in a hobbie that probably won't survive the next generation in the video game age. Most of the guys I race with are guys who had them as a kid. Kids now days would rather play video games than race a slotcar ...
Not sure.... Kids of today don't even understand why and how I can still play on obsolete Atari 2600 or Odyssey video games from the 80's, which is not of their generation at all...But that's already videogames...
And when some of these mongrels come at home, guess what they wanna play?? Good ol' Pacman on the Atari or doing a bunch of laps with some cars?

They always choose slot cars as you may have guessed :hat:

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
ogarfield said:

this post seems a bit hostile.

My take: Outside of waiting for months PAST the announced due date on preorders.. I have no problem with companies putting out HO cars. Sure, I wish the variety was bigger... and sure, I don't need or desire 20 color varitations on the same body styles... but at least there are good people out there dedicated to the hobby and backing that dedication up with MONEY of their OWN, and producing new products.

I will say that some of the owners of said companies do need a coarse in customer relations though. :tongue:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Gripe about me all you want! I hope all you are going to like the new PRICE that AW/RC2 has laid out for his distributors. I'll bet everyone here pre-orders DASH Motorsports bodies because they know a good thing when they find it. Since my opinion means nothing here , I 'll refrain from anymore comments about truth & honesty in buisness. Enjoy your wait !................Tom O.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have plenty of cars in my collection to keep myself occupied with until the new cars from AW come out.........

I have enough for a lifetime!

Heck I got enough for my grand children's grand children's lifetimes!!!!!

I always have the alternative which is to buy original cars from the slot shows.

I don't have to wait for anything........

These people need me as a customer to stay in business, I don't need them........

If they choose to raise prices on the people who support them in this hobby then they may be out of business rather quickly then won't they!

"Don't bite the hand that pays for your product so to speak!"

Let them raise the prices of the new cars from AW.....

People will go back to just buying the originals while the manufacturers shoot themselves in the foot while raising the prices of the new releases that no one will buy from them.

I'm the consumer with $$$$.

These companies need to find away to appeal to me so I spend that $$$ buying their products....

If I don't feel the price justifies the product purchase then they will not get any of my money!!!!

Its my money to spend!

They need to make it worth my while to do so!!!!

Wayne :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I agree Wayne.. I don't NEED any of it, my collection has over 1,200 cars... 99% of them are MINT.

If AW prices get too high, I simply won't buy them anymore. It's that's simple.

AS for the promises some companies make... that's buisness, they all do it.
If they don't deliver, they don't get the cash.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
One thing to remember about price. We here in virtual land are only a small percentage of the total slot car picture there are probably 10-15 hobbiest to every one here out in the real world. The vendors I know that do the show circuit will tell you there are lots more customers not online than on line. And these customers are gobbling up the $40 - $50 cars like we gobble up the $9.00 - $10.00 JLs or AWs.

Just some food for thought

·
Registered
267 Posts
You know thats really odd since I see hobby shops and hobby related specialty stores all but gone from malls and towns.

Even Hobby Lobby dropped the sales of slot cars. We have one hobby shop around here that gets a case or two of slotcars and they sit for a long time before they are replaced. All the neat ones sell quick and the 3 year old common ones just sit. Oh, and they sell white lightnings for regular price.

Almost every one I see leaving a slot car show is leaving with nothing in their hands. I think more sales go on between dealers BEFORE the show is open to the public rather than after.

·
Registered
405 Posts
No local hobby shops near me either. I buy all my cars on line. My local Toys r Us stopped selling individual cars five or six years ago.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ogarfield said:
We did get the MOON eyes Willy's, that's close isn't it. You guys put entirely to time into thinking about these little cars. Do any of you ever get laid? Maybe I can start a fight too! Yeah, many of you have been at this hobbie longer than I have. Sometimes it's ok to go outside and get some fresh air. I think I'll go hack at some tjets with an xacto while you guys spend 3 hours trying to figure out how to rip me a new one. :cry:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts