Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
I will buy one, maybe two of them, but I do not plan to buy more than that. I am disappointed in the scale of the ship, but I blame the producer in wanting the ship so big that is impractical for Round 2 to make other ships in scale with it. If he had made the ship comperable in scale with A then I would consider buying more than one or two.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the scale is a little confusing. they say 1/2500 will be about 11 1/2" long.
Is the new enterprise that big?

I'd really love a kit in the 18" range but I'll take what I can get.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I guess that sort of answers the question on that other post about its size.
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=254526

At 1/2500 scale, an 11.5 inch model means its actual length is about 730 meters. Thats Big. The 1701E (Sovereign Class) is 685 meters - based on Jeff Russells starship dimensions (http://www.merzo.net/).

A 1/1000 scale model would be about 28.75 Inches. A 1/1400 Scale model would be about 20.5 inches. A 1/1400 scale would be a good size -- big enough to light -- but not so big you would need to add another room to your house for a same-scale fleet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So, any idea what scale an 18" model of this E would be, 1/1400or 1/2000?
It’s still too early in the development of this kit to talk about the scale,” Lowe said. “Although keeping with our 1:1000-scale line would be nice, our initial release of the ship will probably be 1/2500, which will make the finished kit about 11 ½ inches long.”

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I just did a little calculation concerning the Playmates 2009 Enterprise: it's 14.5 inches long. Figuring for 1/1000 scale that would make the ship 1208.33 feet. I just find this interesting considering the idea that the ship was designed originally to be 1300 feet.

Putting it next to my PL 1/1000 TOS E, the scale actually kinda works better than I expected.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Mr. Scott wouldn't be caught dead in that...'thing' they call the Enterprise! He's pobably turning over in his grave. Or would that be, 'would be' turning over in his grave? Or will be turning over? Hard enough to keep things straight in my own time line.

I'm sure this will raise a few eyebrows, but I think the so called 'New' Enterprise is a blasphemous abomination!

THAT SAID, I'm sure 99.99973 % of you will TOTALY DISAGREE with me judgeing by all the post I've read. But that's cool, becaue I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong for sure you understand. I'm just set in my 'old school' ways is all I suppose. You don't mess with a classic beautiful lady is my mind set. In fact, at first I wasn't sure about the refit! If you can believe that. I must have had some kind of temporary brain disorder, because I don't know how the heck I didn't fall in love at first site there! But I came to my senses in short order thank God.

Read an article in the Dr.'s office about the producer/director said he didn't make the movie for 'Star Trek fans', he made the movie for 'fans of movies'.

Please forward all hate mail to www.we'regonnagetyou.com/deepinthecongo.

HAL9001, beware the eyes of March. I can already feel the daggers in my back. :mad:

IDIC
hal9001-

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Ides of March...

And while it isn't the original Enterprise, how much did the reimagined Galactica look like the original? It looked like it for sure but it's just different enough so that you can say, "yeah, that's the Galactica."

That's how I look at it.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Ides of March...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, should have put 'eyes of March' in quotes. And stated "Eyes of March" ('eyes' were watching them) is a line from an old Bob Hope movie. Dont' recall the exact title, but Lucille Ball (I think it was her) turned and looked at him after he said it with a, huh? look (she didn't know they were being watched). Was hilarious! Anyway bit obscure but I thought some old timers may recall. Had also found some treasure and for some reason I don't recall was in fear of being burned alive. "I want to be rich, but not a rich cinder". He often altered or misspoke common phrases for the humor. Sorry, won't be so vague next time!

He also was listening to a Dr. describe Zombies (different movie) and after he gave several characteristics Hope said, "oh, like______" (politicians). He was a funny man.

hal9001-

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would have to say, the "New" Old Enterprise takes some getting used to.

I have a toy light up version sitting next to my computer as I type, and I finally was able to think of what it reminds me of:

In Star Trek- Enterprise series there was a reoccuring character who was a "Time Agent" from roughly 3,000 A.D. give or take.

In one episode he showed up in a rather disheveled state temporal wise. Parts of him was practically embryonic in age and other parts were gray haired and wrinkly, and everything else in between.

THAT is my first impression of the new/old enterprise.

I do agree with one aspect of the redesign= the vertical hold between the primary and secondary hulls. It's much larger and longer. Thus allowing a connection between the primary hull's impulse engine and the warp core, and still allowing for turbolifts to be able to slide by without too much difficulty.

I cannot get over the way the warp engines look. They seem like a pair of leeks attached bulb end first.

It's difficult to not nitpick. But I have to remember, this isn't the 'original' timeline ST wise. After the Borg went back in time to manipulate the timelines, everything got screwed up. The Sound of Thunder, indeed.

But, the decision to make Star Trek the new star wars, was a good idea in my opinion.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
well, up to the point the Narada entered the non-prime universe, the Kelvin already had a lot of non-prime features.

I really think what did it was the Enterprise-E's travel back through time.

Maybe if the E-E didn't do that, the NX-01 would have been the Daedalus class.

Also, why was the captain of the Kelvin and Kirk wearing blue?

And why are Jim Kirk's eyes now blue instead of brown?

·
Registered
395 Posts
well, up to the point the Narada entered the non-prime universe, the Kelvin already had a lot of non-prime features.

I really think what did it was the Enterprise-E's travel back through time.

Maybe if the E-E didn't do that, the NX-01 would have been the Daedalus class.

Also, why was the captain of the Kelvin and Kirk wearing blue?

And why are Jim Kirk's eyes now blue instead of brown?
Best reasoning I've heard

Takes care of two stones that I don't like

1) NX-01 - alternate universe created by something Picard and Co did while defeating the Borg group back in Cochrane's time. Kelvin was an outgrowth of that design philosophy

2) Nu-Trek - further divergence from Prime caused by Narada and Spock's arrival in the past

Let's me ignore ST:Enterprise and Nu-Trek by logical deduction

Thanks MB

1 - 20 of 34 Posts