Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I note that the PM Moderator (I'm assuming it is/was Dave Metzner from his avatar) has not posted since September 26 and the last post from the BB Moderator was September 24.

Is anyone from RC2/Playing Mantis/Polar Lights monitoring this board?

If we are posting comments or suggestions, is anyone reading them?

Is anybody out there?

Jim

·
Registered
311 Posts
"We were stoking the fire
And oiling up the machinery
Until the gods found out
We had ideas of our own." - Don Henley

Could we diss RC2 for the complete lack of photographic coverage of not just one, but TWO tradeshows this past month?!

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Dave Metzner said:
I'm still here with my oil can! and my delete key!
Dave :D
Hi Dave.

Miss you chiming in more often. Hope your doing well and I hope you can keep RC2 on the straight and narrow regarding the Trek kits. You started a good thing and I hope the 'inspiration' in the kits so far continues.

·
2,690 Posts
Kinkaide was a background artist on Ralph Bakshi/Frank Frazetta's "Fire and Ice." Anyone else know that? How the mighty have fallen... and gotten freakin rich.
I saw him hacking some paint on an ink-jet canvas print in a Mall one time.
Not impressed... and I notice many of his Mall galleries are no longer in business.
AT

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Personally, I prefer Terry Redlin to Thomas Kincade. That being said, having seen some of Chris White's other work at Wonderfest, Chris has nothing to be wishful for!! Fantastic stuff, for those of you who missed it!! Especially the nature works, and, in particular, the eagle pieces! Truly great stuff!!

Wayne

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Hey, thanks Wayne! You really do rock! I've enjoyed Redlin's work, but he fell into the same trap as Kinkade - repeating a formula that worked ad nauseum. Another guy that does that is Ted Blaylock - but they are both very popular wildlife/hunting/nostalgia artists.

Anthony - Kinkade and Dinotopia artist James Gurney were best buddies in college. After graduation they literally travelled the country drawing and painting, ending up on Bakshi's doorstep to do the backgrounds for Fire and Ice. They wrote a "how to" book about sketching, and their experiences travelling - a really nice book. Personally I always thought Gurney was the better artist. Kinkade mastered his own style, but the repetition wears thin...

Zorro - I must be the Rodney Dangerfield of art - I'm a poor hack and I get no respect!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,341 Posts
Whither Tim Hildebrandt?
I spent an afternoon in his home once, looking through stacks and stacks of Tolkien calendar art (acrylic on masonite). Gorgeous stuff.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
John P said:
Whither Tim Hildebrandt?
I spent an afternoon in his home once, looking through stacks and stacks of Tolkien calendar art (acrylic on masonite). Gorgeous stuff.
John - Gotta thumbs up Hildebrandt! He (and his brother? I'm not sure) did a beautiful set of Marvel character paintings for a tie-in with Franklin Mint that I saw up there one time. I've also seen some "film noir" cheesecake stuff that he (they? Greg?) are doing now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts