Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
25,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Founded in 1926, Irwin Toy was mostly an importer of toys to Canada. They also produced some products of their own making.

For example, they produced a line of 1:43 diecast models in plastic (?) and diecast.

A sister company based in Niagra Falls, New York distributed their "Blazin' Key Cars" that were made in China. This was a series of (4) castings - each available in 3 different body colors with a diecast base. The base was designed to accept a key that pushed the car forward when released. A 'burnin' flame also extended from an opening in the rear of the car at the same time. They were packaged in blister shapes that also resembled a key.

In 2003, these were re-issued by Irwin Toys in Canada (?) as a 'Lotte' brand offering called "Flaming Key Cars". The Lotte brand name is found on the base of these offerings.

They also distributed Hartoy, Kidco, and Matchbox products.

Irwin Toys was Canada's oldest independently owned family toy company until 2001.

Known Medal 1:43 Scale Castings

Saloon Car

Known Vinyl 1:43 Scale Castings

Aston Martin
Aston Martin DB
Ford Ranchero
Jaguar XK120
MG MGA
MG TF
Triumph Convertible
Triumph TR3
Volkswagen Beetle

Known Blazin' Key Cars Castings

Corvette C5 Coupe
Ford Mustang GT

Sourced references -

https://www.hobbydb.com/marketplaces/hobbydb/subjects/irwin-toy-brand
Encyclopedia of Small-Scale Diecast Motor Vehicle Manufacturers - Sahakangas, Foster & Weber (2006)

·
Administrator
25,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Currently the Diecast Encyclopedia has Irwin linked to Hartoys which is then linked back to Corgi. Depending on which one or both get their own sub forum(s). Hartoy and Irwin will probably move together later on. (In a hold pattern for now until after the server migration.)

I am also leaning towards Kidco more, but there is not even an inference - they are even related - in the links I have reviewed so far.

Better release/distribution dates for both would help resolve where it should go.

What are your thoughts?

:cheers2:

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Personally I would keep them all separate, with a note attached saying 'Possible Links' to whatever company you suspect they are connected too. (without 'Proof', I don't see the point of listing on 'hearsay'?)
I've got some of those plastic Irwin & Lotte cars, but know of No connection with Corgi.
As always, it's your decision how you want to list things.

·
Administrator
25,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Understand what you are saying and this how they will probably be seperated once a sub forum for Hartoy and Irwin are created seperately. But, other than Irwin is currently in the Corgi subfurom there is no post (written) information linking Irwin to Corgi. It is only there, because it has to go somewhere and it will be easier to find (on my part) later on.

I am also leaving out those hearsey type references where appropriate or noting that no specifics are given to support the implied or written observations expressed. Sometimes they are relevant to diecast myths and misconceptions though. :cheers2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts