Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Haven't seen a lot of Iron Man suits here lately...

Seams, seams, seams!! Moe's Mk II kit. Out of box, minimal sprue trimming, no putty, no sanding, just snapped together as a father-son birthday present project. Was allowed by junior to paint and decal it though.

As covered in, http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=274192 , sometimes "good enough" and "it's better to finish a kit than to be perfect" really applies.

But being who we are, I'm going to sneak a wash in there this weekend and spray some Tamiya clear blue highlights on it before sealing it up for good ;)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It's looking a bit "Hot Toy'ish" (Japanese action figure manufacturer). But I'll take it. One thing though, it's motivated me to start my Mk III project, just debating whether I want to spend the $30 to get the VFx lighting kit.

An unintentional benefit from this quick build is now I have a real life template for where all the trouble spots are going to be; regarding seams and filling. What do they say? Build a prototype first before you go to print/spec?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Really quite nice! I still haven't even opened my IM kit yet....dying to get into it but everything else seems to be out to stop me.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Finished

For scale.

Looking at the pics now, I'm wishing I could have "snuck in" some putty and sanding! Alas! Mini-me wanted quick. Eye decals don't go the full width of the opening either...

I have to say that the finished kit is better than the box art/photos suggest. The pose looks a bit static and stiff on the box, but in person it's not bad. Though I'm thinking about reposing the Mk III in flight mode as someone else here has done, http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=259142. We'll let you know...

I wish the box art looked some thing more like this, I might could have bought it quicker without reservations.

·
Registered
191 Posts
NICE! I'm going to buy one just because of this thread and build with my kid.
No kidding,, hope it fits in a stocking :lol:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again everyone. I was hoping to finish it more screenlike, but after trimming sprue marks, you have no choice but to touch up with silver paint or metallizer. I chose the metalizer route and ended up with more of an action figure finish. So be it.

I got mine at CultTVman's shop under the scratch 'n dent section. Saved me about $10.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

Haven't seen a lot of Iron Man suits here lately...

Seams, seams, seams!! Moe's Mk II kit. Out of box, minimal sprue trimming, no putty, no sanding, just snapped together as a father-son birthday present project. Was allowed by junior to paint and decal it though.

As covered in, http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=274192 , sometimes "good enough" and "it's better to finish a kit than to be perfect" really applies.

But being who we are, I'm going to sneak a wash in there this weekend and spray some Tamiya clear blue highlights on it before sealing it up for good ;)
Great job!!Got a love Father son projects.Great experience for a kid & keeps them out of trouble..........the father I mean!!:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts