Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My regret over being unable to attend Wonderfest is mitigated by the fact that this year's big IPMS con will be held right here in Southern California.

Additional info can be found at the official site:

http://www.ipmsusa2007.org/

I've never attended the Nationals before, and I hope to see some of you there.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Mr. Dyle (or Cruickshank or whatever),

The International Plastic Modelers Society's National Convention (or, for the typographically challenged like me, the "Nats") is a great venue for any modeler. You'll find excellence in every category of modeling, plus that HUGE vendors room. I can't make it this year, but would, even if I had to choose it over WonderFest.

Why? At WF, we're pretty much preaching to the choir. But as the membership of the IPMS reflects the modeling community at large, you will find many more show categories dedicated to the "three As" - Aircraft, Armor, and Automotive subjects - than you will to Sci-Fi/Fantasy. That's a fact of life, that modelers of those subjects are in the minority.

Griping about the situation, like a PLBBer I met at the 2001 Nats in Chicago, who complained because there was no Movie Monster category in the Figures class, does no good; nor does boycotting the IPMS because it doesn't pay more attention to the non-mainstream builders. If we're not members of the chapters and at the contests, why should IPMS give a hoot about the kinds of models we build?

I told that griper in Chicago that if there had been as many movie monster models entered in Figures as there were in 1/48 scale single-engine aircraft, it would have been a safe bet that there were most certainly have been a Movie Monster category, probably with several splits. Just imagine...your Frankenstein winning First Place in "Movie Monsters, Split: Universal, Aurora, 1/8 Scale and Larger". But that won't happen until we sign up and show off!

Okay, can somebody help me down from this apple crate? Thanks, I - :eek: DON'T KICK IT!! *Thud!* YAAAaaaaaCRUNCH!

Mark McGee, that sure scratched the paint...

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Preachin' to the choir, Mark.

Although I've never attended the "Nats," I have entered several local IPMS contests over the years. On occasion I've even taken home an award or two, but the real fun comes from meeting one's fellow modelers and seeing, in some cases, the jaw-dropingly amazing work they do. It can be a little intimidating, but for the most part I find it inspiring (not to mention educational).

Now if I can just get that Tesky/ Merriman Flying Sub miniature finished by August...

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Shoulda gone to the Regional, John. I bet Herman Munster would've snagged you the "Best Movie Subject" and/or "Best Bust", neither of which came my way. I did get to meet cujo and his sons, though - nice guys all. Looks like maybe we'll see 'em at future shows.

Mark McG.

·
Registered
137 Posts
We had a great time at the regional show Mark! My boys and I enjoyed meeting you, seeing your entries (top notch!). Speaking hobby stuff in general with someone who really knows his craft is always fun. All that talented work in one room was inspiring.

The vendor room was really somthing to see. Chris and Nate were impressed and pleased to score a few PL kits. I grabbed the Aurora History Guide and the latest copy of Amazing Figure Modeler.

The IPMS show rekindled our mutual love of model building and you were a big part of that, thanks!

On the way out,in the parking lot, Nathan said " that Mark guy was pretty cool",
Chris and I both agreed...... I'm sure we'll see you again.
Cujo/Chris.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Thanks, cujo. When a teenager calls you "cool", you know you've made it (sure wasn't what the called me when I was a teen...but I digress). Please try to remember the good time we had twenty years from now, when the boys have to move back in with you and Mrs. Cujo because they've spent themselves into bankruptcy on kits and supplies and old Mark McG "...was a big part of that".

Meantime yinz (as I believe it is rendered in Pennsylvanese) have a great weekend!

Mark McG.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
UH, actually Mark, "yinz" is "Pittsburghese", ( Moto: "How 'bout them Stillers ? )
those wierdos in other parts of the state talk funny !
Speaking of the regional IPMS, isn't anyone going to post a report with pix of the festivities?
"Dahntahn" Dabbler

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The last time I went to an IPMS national event, they seemed more open to fiction figure modelling than in the past. But, IPMS is not for everyone, and not just because of the dominant military content. I know alot of military tank and aircraft model builders that choose not participate with the IPMS. IPMS just gets too serious for them. For example, if your airplane doesn't have the exact correct shade of grey (per the federal standard color), the IPMS judges will hold that against you.

Attending an IPMS National Event is cool, but I would never choose attending an IPMS event over Wonderfest. Wonderfest is alot more applicable to what we do and alot more fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts