Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RCPowerCalc is 3 useful iPhone/iTouch applications in one.

Rollout Calculator:
Of course, you can calculate your rollout given the tire size, pinion and spur. You can just as easily perform the reverse calculations. Given a rollout and tire size, what spur or pinion would you need.

Rollout Finder:
The rollout finder provides a calculator which can estimate a few values. First, given a lap time, track length and loaded (or average) RPM, you can find the necessary rollout to achieve that lap time. You can also perform the reverse calculations and estimate your average RPM or your estimated fastest lap time given a specified rollout.
** NOTICE: The rollout your car can handle depends on a number of factors including chassis efficiency. This tool will provide an estimate based on mathematical calculations. Anytime you change your rollout, you should run for 1 minute and take the motor temperature ensuring that the temperature is within the manufacturers specifications **

Average Amp Draw:
With this tool you can calculate the average amperage draw your motor pulls during a run. This can give an indication of chassis efficiency and motor efficiency. This can also allow you to configure your dyno appropriately.

You can get the application at the iTunes store. Just search for RCPowerCalc.

Please submit any questions, comments or suggestions here as I am eager to hear them.

Thanks,
Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, apparently I uploaded the app with a small bug which truncates the decimal portion of the transmission ratio before calculating the final rollout. Basically, if you have a transmission ratio of 2.4 it will calculate the rollout using 2.0. So, if you have a transmission with a whole number trans ratio (1,2,3,...) then you won't know the difference (i.e. pan cars with a 1.0 trans ratio). The fix was quick, and a new version 1.0.1 has been uploaded. The only problem is that the iTunes store takes a long time to "approve" the application. I'm figuring that the new version will be released next week sometime. Just a side note, but all updates are free.

Thanks to Walter from ORC for noticing.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I installed it ... looks nice. I think it is a good place to look at for a starting gear ratio.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed it ... looks nice. I think it is a good place to look at for a starting gear ratio.
Thanks. I have used the rollout finder with some success at the tracks I have been at. In some cases, it would put me surprisingly in the ball park. I would like to hear other successes/failures at specific tracks, conditions, etc. just to get a feel.

Thanks,
Chuckl

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry all, but the update is _still_ in review with the iTunes store. I'm hoping it breaks out this week.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, looks like the update finally went through the itunes review process.

Please update your software when you have a chance. I have fixed the bug where the gearbox ratio value was being clobbered and was only returning the integer portion of the ratio (e.g. a ratio of 2.4 was being truncated to 2.0).

Chuck

·
Registered
525 Posts
ya i just tryed to put it on ipod and had that issue myself. came up and tryed downloading and then came up no longer avaliable. :-( what other apps are there i heard there are a few

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All,
I had a problem trying to re-register with Apple.as a developer. Trying to figure it out right now.

Thanks for the continued interest.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
App was finally re-instated on the iTunes store. Sorry for the delay if anyone was trying to purchase the app.

I also uploaded an update (version 1.0.2) which is going through Apple's review process right now. Apparently when you tried to calculate the pinion gear given all the other information and a non-1 value for the gearbox, it calculated the pinion incorrectly. That is fixed in 1.0.2. Thanks tq for illuminating that issue.

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, looks like the App made it through Apple lickety-split! Version 1.0.2 is ready.

Thanks,
Chuck

1 - 20 of 107 Posts