Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building the Invisible Man and using Dan Jorgensen's article in Kitbuilders. To do the wood simulation on the table, shelves, and floor he used Minwax brushed on over sealed acrylic and then a predry brushing to simulate the wood grain. I did that on yesterday and on Sunday afternoon and it does look very good although I might have been better off with a lighter color than dark walnut. But what I have discovered is that the finish is taking forever to dry/cure. The Sunday applications were still quite tacky this morning. Has anyone ever used Minwax in a similar application and how long can I expect to wait to continue? I have used it for staining wood before and that is a totally different application, the one it is actually intended for.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
There are aparently different formulas of Minwax... I know some people that have used it on figures although I have not. Are some solvent based (dry very very slowly) and some water based? I have only used that stuff on wood...

Im never sure what possible advantage any of this stuff is over hobby products that give guaranteed results.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hadn't spent much effort looking for something else since Dan seems to love the stuff and his models I have seen look great. I will say though that by first painting the piece with Freestyle rich brown and then sealing once I applied the Minwax it looked good. Then as it tacked up I used the brush, as his article suggested, to stroke "wood grains" into the finish. It works quite well and does an excellent job of producing a simulated walnut wood finish. But if I have to wait days for it to cure I'm not going to be too happy. If it never cures I am going to be upset!

I was wondering about the water based question. I don't know but will go to their website and investigate. The problem with water based stains is on wood they tend to make the wood grain expand which is not a good effect for wood working. But possibly they do have a water based and that could explain my problem. However the way Dan wrote the article it sounds like I am using the same stuff by the way he described using a hair dryer to get it tacky before "painting" in the wood grain effect.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I've used MinWax many times, and I've found drying times vary according to temperature and humidity. Dries quicker outside on a sunny dry day.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used MinWax many times, and I've found drying times vary according to temperature and humidity. Dries quicker outside on a sunny dry day.
I have a heat lamp from years ago and might give that a try if it still sticky when tonight. I just have to be careful and not melt my plastic. That would force me to buy another kit but Moebius would be happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts