Hobbyist Forums banner

Invaders UFO pics

6K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  bert model maker 
#1 · (Edited)
#9 ·
MODELS

hI LISFAN, I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. YOU JUST CAN'T FIND ANY MODELS AT STORES LIKE YOU USED TO. I GUESS THEY THINK TODAYS KIDS WON'T LIKE MODELS, SO THEY DON'T EVEN GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO SEE FOR THEMSELVES. sEEMS LIKE MOST STORE MGR.S AND CORPORATE DECISION MAKERS NEVER TOUCHED A MODEL AS A KID OR AT LEAST THEY ACT LIKE THEY DIDN'T. GO INTO OUR LOCAL WALMART AND ASK IF THEY SELL MODELS AND THEY LOOK AT YOU WITH THAT SMIRK OF " WHY ? THEY TAKE UP TOO MUCH ROOM AND ONE STORE MGR. [WALMART] SAID THAT EVEN AS A KID HE THOUGHT HIS FRIENDS WHO "WASTED TIME" BUILDING PLASTIC TOYS WERE DUMB, AND THAT his STORE POLICY IS NOT TO SELL THEM, AND IF ANY do COME IN, HE JUST STICKS THEM IN THE BACK UNTIL HE CAN FIND TIME TO SEND THEM BACK TO THE WAREHOUSE, now, that is what i call DUMB, and i told him so!

#13 ·
Thanks everyone- Yes I did the interior- no added bells & whistles (or lights for that matter) Just normal build & paint. When I get a chance I'll take some less dramatic shots to share how I wired it- The landing lights & center light operate from separate switches on the base.

G
#14 ·
Fantastic!

Wow is right,what a cool idea. I thought of something similar,but did,nt incorporate the clear tube "beam" effect. Do the lights stay lit all the time,or do they blink,rotate? You did an excellent job!! That tree looks real! I love the boxart from this kit.I'm trying to find some blue LEDs for my domes(5). I dissected a blinking bicycle safety light (clip-on type)from Wal-mart,and am replacing the existing red LEDs with blue ones-hopefully. Nice work man!:thumbsup:

#16 ·
A very nice effect, I have to admit!

However, why did you not clean up the seam around the saucer bottom? Do you need to take the saucer apart to access the wiring for repairs or to get at the power source?

Would it have been possible to include the wiring and power inside the "cabin" area and just not include an interior?

It'd be cool if you could publish a wiring diagram or a photo of the setup for those of us envious of your work to copy!

#17 ·
NTR-- You are exactly right. I must access the wiring by lifting the ship from it's circular underbody. I use windshield sealer (like black, super strong "fun-tak" to keep the seam closed. In prepping the model for the photo, I guess I didn't close the rim as tightly as I can.
As for the wiring, I'm not experienced with much miniature electronics. I used the flat batteries supplied with the pocket lights and connected them in series, letting the wires exit through the landing gear and into the tree, where lead wires were molded into the center of the tree (molded with sculpey) The wires then travel under the base to the switch.

#18 ·
Re: MODELS

model maker said:
hI LISFAN, I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. YOU JUST CAN'T FIND ANY MODELS AT STORES LIKE YOU USED TO. I GUESS THEY THINK TODAYS KIDS WON'T LIKE MODELS, SO THEY DON'T EVEN GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO SEE FOR THEMSELVES. sEEMS LIKE MOST STORE MGR.S AND CORPORATE DECISION MAKERS NEVER TOUCHED A MODEL AS A KID OR AT LEAST THEY ACT LIKE THEY DIDN'T. GO INTO OUR LOCAL WALMART AND ASK IF THEY SELL MODELS AND THEY LOOK AT YOU WITH THAT SMIRK OF " WHY ? THEY TAKE UP TOO MUCH ROOM AND ONE STORE MGR. [WALMART] SAID THAT EVEN AS A KID HE THOUGHT HIS FRIENDS WHO "WASTED TIME" BUILDING PLASTIC TOYS WERE DUMB, AND THAT his STORE POLICY IS NOT TO SELL THEM, AND IF ANY do COME IN, HE JUST STICKS THEM IN THE BACK UNTIL HE CAN FIND TIME TO SEND THEM BACK TO THE WAREHOUSE, now, that is what i call DUMB, and i told him so!
Hi,
The UFO from "The Invaders" is great. It just cries out to be issued as a larger kit although the model that was available is OK. I recall telling someone at a local store chain (now defunct) in the last couple of years that I was shocked they no longer sold model kits at their store. The worker told me it was because of issues with selling the paint and glue to kids. I suspect there are many reasons as to why models are not sold everywhere. But if a company purchases models as merchandise to be sold, and a lower level management person has arbitrarily decided not to sell them, that's wrong. I'd tell the home office if I knew.
Jim

#20 ·
So, those who wasted time building models grew up to be interesting, and creative, and the manager is a manager of the walmart. Who's sorry now?

I have found that retail managers are not very creative, and they spend too much time blaming others for their own lack of knowledge and experience. This is especially true in more remote areas when a corporation wants a new location - and they hire the lumber mill manager for the job. He takes it for more money and the store ends up serving the community poorly.

#22 ·
Re: models

model maker said:
I know what you mean !!!!! these so called store mgr.s never built models as kids, so they have no idea how it develops imagination and SKILLS, and patients. but they would rather sell violent video games to kids. go fiqure ?
Hello!
What you say is true, but sometimes parent might be the reason kids never got into the hobby. I grew up in the 1960s, and grew up building model kits. I was an only child, and models (especially the sci-fi ones) helped me to be creative and pass the time. A kid in class came over to my house (his name I long forgotten, I guess I'm getting old). He loved the models I put together from "Lost In Space," namely the "Robinson family, chariot, monster" and the "Robot" models put out by Aurora. They were finished crude in comparison to the model building skills I have today. I told him they were in such and such store and were cheap. His reply, "my parents don't want us to play with model kits because of the mess." True I suppose, but people can have odd opinions about things. I 'think' he might be the same kid who told me he wasn't allowed to watch "Lost In Space." His mother thought it wasn't good for him and his brothers....PLEASE!
Jim

#23 ·
mgr.s

wow mark, you nailed that one to a tee !!!!! the redding, red bluff walmarts are probably run by former lumber mill mgrs or whatever because in this area, it is a timber industry area big time, AND, a lot of the mills have closed down over the last 10 years because of things like the spotted owl, and just plain MISMANAGMENT !!!!!!

#24 ·
As a kid I always had to go "shopping" with my Mom,sister,Grandmother and aunts. The only thing that kept me from being board was to break away and look to see what model kits the local stores had. I purchased many Revell kits at the local Drug store. Now I have to go to a hobbyshop to even find a Model kit. I am lucky enough to have two Hobbyshops within 3 miles of my Home. :)

#25 ·
your lucky

your lucky there superbird ! the nearest hobby shop that sells an assortment of model kits is a mere 151 miles EACH WAY !! and past that is 250 miles in the san francisco bay area. there was a couple of great hobby shops here in the redding, ca. area about 7 years ago, then walmart drove THEM out of business with there better price on model kits [ and walmart at that time had a pretty good selection] then walmart up and quits selling models, up here [ except for the couple of car models they have .
bert

#26 · (Edited)
Hello guys and gals

Since we are on the subject of the invader's ufo I want to share pictures of my build-up too. Is not perfect like some other models but it was a rush built. I bought a second one to do a better job at it and to light it up. Enjoy.......

http://www.msnusers.com/TheCheeseFamilytwo/pictures

Mike :wave:

P.S. This is my first time posting pictures, hope the link works, if not can anybody please help me post this pictures.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.