Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks!

My first post here. I just got into collecting Hot Wheels about a month ago right after my son was born and it's bringing back memories of my childhood (Matchbox only). I was shocked to find out that there is such a fervent following for these little cars and it's stoked the fire for me to pick up cars I like and hopefully inspire Baby X to be a bit of the gearhead his papa is.

I've only got a few cars right now but I've managed to find 5 $upers thus far (3 Mavericks & 2 599XXs - all traded / sold save 1 599XX) and a few variants / errors (what's the diff?) that I like. I have to admit that the hunt and find is almost more fun than the acquisition of the car itself!

I'm a huge fan of the 599XX so here's a pic of my favorite Hot Wheel to date:

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
variants / errors (what's the diff?)
Two cars that are identical but for the wheels, or a color change to the tampo, would constitute a variation. An error, on the other hand, is something like two different types of wheels on the same car, or a car that was assembled without glass. Variations usually occur in larger quantities than errors.

Welcome aboard, and happy collecting!

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
Welcome to Hobby Talk.
As Alter-Autos mentioned there is a difference between errors and variations. Once you've been collecting for a bit you'll spot them.
Congrats on finding all those $upers in such a short time period.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
As Alter-Autos mentioned there is a difference between errors and variations. Once you've been collecting for a bit you'll spot them.
I'd also like to add that, if you're unsure as to whether you've found a variation or an error, leave the car in the package and check the South Texas Diecast Hot Wheels guide. I recently found what I initially thought was an error...until I found some others that had the same "error." A quick check of the South Texas guide confirmed that the car was intended to have two different-colored wheels.

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
I'd also like to add that, if you're unsure as to whether you've found a variation or an error, leave the car in the package and check the South Texas Diecast Hot Wheels guide. I recently found what I initially thought was an error...until I found some others that had the same "error." A quick check of the South Texas guide confirmed that the car was intended to have two different-colored wheels.
They have done that from time to time, and I am not a big fan of that myself.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips and the warm welcome! Now that I understand the difference, then this is my favorite variation of the 599XX with OH5 wheels instead of the MC5s. I wish I could find more as I can't bring myself to open this one yet.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
XOs, did you save the version of the Ferrari pictured here? That's the Super Treasure Hunt version. Also, South Texas didn't (as of this posting) list anything other than "?" for the 599XX Super TH. Sometimes it can take a while for them to update.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alter-Autos -

Yep, I had 2 $uper 599XXs and I sold one on eBay and kept the other. I just snapped a shot of my 599XX collection (sans the other ZAMAC that I opened and a mainline):

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great find on the MC5 wheel varie. I've looked at a lot of those and haven't been able to find one.
Thanks! I was inspecting 3 XXs for the most perfect tampos, base-to-body alignments, etc. when I noticed the different wheels. The difference (to my untrained eye) was so subtle I almost missed it. I wish they all came with OH5s as they look much better on the XX IMHO.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Welcome to HobbyTalk.com Congrats.:wave::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I was inspecting 3 XXs for the most perfect tampos, base-to-body alignments, etc. when I noticed the different wheels.
And here I thought I was the only one who did that!

On snap... Left probably 30 of them in the Valley yesterday.... The dreadful Fresno / Visailia / Hanford area I visited yesterday 110 temp heat wave...uggghhh
What stores did you hit in my neck of the woods? The Wal-Mart nearest me (in Clovis) didn't have much of anything when I was last there, though I'll need to go back for the white BMW 2002. And yes, our 110-degree heat is horrid.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts