Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since PM did the Simpsons car, Why don't they come up with cars from popular old computer games , such as Interstate 76, Because some people were on computers then, instead of watching the simpsons

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
rlyoung1 said:
Racing Champions did some cars with Interstate 76 tampos a few years ago.
yea, I saw those...boy, were they terrible!

not only were the castings off, RC casts, but they had the accesories painted on! (like the guns and things...)

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Pablodragon said:
yea, I saw those...boy, were they terrible!

not only were the castings off, RC casts, but they had the accesories painted on! (like the guns and things...)
AAAACK! RC did these and I missed them?!? I don't care how bad they were... i'm a HUUUGE I76 fan...

i thought it was very cool how they mimicked real car names for cars in the game, and the cars were so obviously close in appearance... Courcheval was a French-sounding name like Chevrolet... Cavera sounded like Camaro... Courchelle for Chevelle... A Palomino is a kind of horse, so is a Mustang, likewise Pony for Pinto... Dover Lightning for Dodge Charger, Picard Jackrabbit for Plymouth Roadrunner...

but my favorite had to be the Picard Piranha (Plymouth Barracuda, both vicious fish :D ), in the scene where they pan the camera behind the rear taillight panel of the car and you can see the lettering, it says: 'ranha in the same lettering that the real car says 'cuda...

thanks for bringing up that blast from the past. Wonder if I can get that to run on a newer computer...

--rick

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
ok, another one just came back to me...

Phaedra Findley Rattler Talladega
Ford Shelby Cobra Daytona

:jest:

--rick

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
ParkRNDL said:
AAAACK! RC did these and I missed them?!? I don't care how bad they were... i'm a HUUUGE I76 fan...

i thought it was very cool how they mimicked real car names for cars in the game, and the cars were so obviously close in appearance... Courcheval was a French-sounding name like Chevrolet... Cavera sounded like Camaro... Courchelle for Chevelle... A Palomino is a kind of horse, so is a Mustang, likewise Pony for Pinto... Dover Lightning for Dodge Charger, Picard Jackrabbit for Plymouth Roadrunner...

but my favorite had to be the Picard Piranha (Plymouth Barracuda, both vicious fish :D ), in the scene where they pan the camera behind the rear taillight panel of the car and you can see the lettering, it says: 'ranha in the same lettering that the real car says 'cuda...

thanks for bringing up that blast from the past. Wonder if I can get that to run on a newer computer...

--rick
I have that game and have yet to install it on my new computer (muhahahaha, I think I know what I'm doing this weekend). I know it's also got a fake Gremlin (I forget the name...was it Leprechaun?) among others. It also inspired the Vigilante 8 series (all of two games) for the original Playstation. I wish they would have kept that line of games going.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Palomino = Mustang
Pony SS = Mercury Bobcat
Coupe = '32 Ford
Rattler Taladega ([hey (intentionally?) misspelled Talladega!] = Cobra Daytona
Jackrabbit Banshee = Charger Daytona (without rear spoiler)
Pirana = Cuda
AMZ = AMX
Leprechaun = Gremlin
Strider = Manx?
Cavera = Camaro
Courchelle = Chevelle
Manta = Corvette (with an odd roofline)
Lightning VX = '71 Charger? A cross between a '71 Javelin and a '70 Rebel? Whatever it is appears to be in with the General Motors vehicles.
Stag pickup = Chevy?

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Swifty said:
I have that game and have yet to install it on my new computer (muhahahaha, I think I know what I'm doing this weekend). I know it's also got a fake Gremlin (I forget the name...was it Leprechaun?) among others. It also inspired the Vigilante 8 series (all of two games) for the original Playstation. I wish they would have kept that line of games going.
...hmmm... I look over to my right and see "I-76 Install disk, and I-76 Play disk".
watch out tho, most old games will not run on the newer computers!

updating... just tried to install.. man, you get the intro little movie! even tho the graphics are kinda boxy, it's still kool!..but...
when you get to the screen to play the game, it just locks up...bummer..
all the older games think the new Windows XP is windows NT and it won't run on NT...

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Swifty said:
Lightning VX = '71 Charger? A cross between a '71 Javelin and a '70 Rebel? Whatever it is appears to be in with the General Motors vehicles.
Stag pickup = Chevy?
It's the DOVER Lightning VX... as in Dodge Charger RT. i think it looks like a '71 and later charger.

Also, the pickup is a Dover Stag=Dodge Ram.

And I thought the Jackrabbit Banshee was a Roadrunner Superbird. If you get in the game and see the make of each car, it seems to me that Picard is Plymouth and Dover is Dodge.

And don't forget the Courcheval Royale, which is a Chevrolet Caprice.

:wave:

Can you tell i spent WAAAAY too much time playing this game? Wonder if it'll run on Windows 2000... may have to experiment with that...

--rick

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It will run on windows 2000, Just don't let the game install its oun engine (3dFX) you just have to make sure you have DirectX 9 or newer installed, on your computer, I think?

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
ParkRNDL said:
It's the DOVER Lightning VX... as in Dodge Charger RT. i think it looks like a '71 and later charger.

Also, the pickup is a Dover Stag=Dodge Ram.

And I thought the Jackrabbit Banshee was a Roadrunner Superbird. If you get in the game and see the make of each car, it seems to me that Picard is Plymouth and Dover is Dodge.

And don't forget the Courcheval Royale, which is a Chevrolet Caprice.

Thanks! Glad to see my first guess ('71 Charger) was correct. However, look at the drawing of the Banshee Jackrabbit- that's a Charger Daytona roofline, not a Roadrunner Superbird roofline. Of course, the idea is to disguise the cars, and you've seen their taillights (something I have not).

And the Caprice sounds cool too. What other cars got made?

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
zzmustang said:
It will run on windows 2000, Just don't let the game install its oun engine (3dFX) you just have to make sure you have DirectX 9 or newer installed, on your computer, I think?
ok that's WAY cool... sounds like i gotta go try it sometime this evening between diaper changes... :rolleyes:

thanks for the info

--rick

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
dang. I'm getting an INS0432 error on install, whatever that means. looks like this thing is not gonna cooperate...

Swifty said:
Thanks! Glad to see my first guess ('71 Charger) was correct. However, look at the drawing of the Banshee Jackrabbit- that's a Charger Daytona roofline, not a Roadrunner Superbird roofline. Of course, the idea is to disguise the cars, and you've seen their taillights (something I have not).

And the Caprice sounds cool too. What other cars got made?
Wish I could get back into the program to tell you... just so you know, taillights were not always accurate. I remember specifically that the Cavera, which looked like an alternate-reality '67-'69 Camaro, had what looked like '70-'73 Camaro taillights. I seem to recall the Palomino (Mustang) had one taillight all the way across the back like a circa-'68 Barracuda... the rest is kinda sketchy...

--rick

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JL makes most of the car models in the game, it is hard to say how much the rights to the game would cost these day's, remember, its an old game! maybe the computer company who made the game" Activision" would give licence, just to get their name out there again. If the pegs were hanging with Interstate 76 cars right now, as compared to Clue, I would buy the the interstate 76 cars because this game is cooler...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts