Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Are either series available in the international markets? I have never seen an international card for special or adult collectible series.

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
If they are out there, the only thing I could offer to base it on is history...

Used to be the International Treasure Hunts and First editions were always worth less...everyone wanted the U.S. versions, and no one wanted to trade for an International version

One First Edition example is the 96 FE VW DRag Bus... the international acrded one is still worth, and people are paying..less than for the U.S. carded one

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess where I'm going with this post is that it's really hard for anyone outside of the US to get a trade. If it's not the Classic series 5 Convoy chase or a Larry Garage signature or initial car, no one will really answer your post. Why would I even collect these on international card if I can't find any chase on the same card. Thanks for replying back Pablo Dragon, stating that even if these cars were chase on inter. card they wouldn't do as well for trade or sale. Very true point. In fact, the same goes for Treasure Hunts. This site isn't bad for trades because most collectors here seem to collect both HW, JL and others. But,at the HWC site, I don't waste my time anymore over there because everything I have isn't top chase on US card.
My conclusion is this. What I really mean to say guys ...is that it makes a guy feel like just shutting down when you can't find nothing to get in the game or most of your trade is second rate.

·
Registered
674 Posts
My conclusion is this. What I really mean to say guys ...is that it makes a guy feel like just shutting down when you can't find nothing to get in the game or most of your trade is second rate.
Don't feel alone, you don't have to live outside the states.

Collect what you like. I know it sounds corny, but if you even try to keep up with the fashion you'll beat yourself to death mentally and physically. It's not worth it for a toy.

I have watched prices on pieces fall over the last couple years...used to be you couldn't touch a '96 US long card VW Drag Bus for any less than $75. I'm starting to see them in the $30 range, and that is *not* the anniversary edition that came out a couple years later. All of the early VW Busses, with a few exceptions, are coming down to much more reasonable prices, and I have seen small lots of 5 or 6 different ones go for around $10 each, unheard of just a couple years ago.

Treasure Hunts have taken a nose dive with the new format...everybody wants the Supers, so the *regulars* sell for $3, sometimes less. Stuff I saw sell for $20 two years ago can be had for between 2 and 5 dollars now. Somebody is taking a bath, but now is a buyer's market.

And that is just focusing on the chase car fad. It seems not too many folks are interested in the fundamentals of collecting diecast. One reason is that it takes a great deal of space once a person gets into it with seriousness, or it takes a lot of storage boxes. There is a reasonable argument that if a car is bought just to stick in a box, what fun is that? I've stashed thousands, and I've parted with thousands, I've lost money on thousands...and still I keep buying, selling and trading because I enjoy the hobby.

You don't have to trade chase cars. I've made several successful trades here and on other boards that had little or nothing to do with chase cars.

What is it you are looking for?

What do you have that is interesting or unique or different to offer in trade?

Presuming I can help with any of your wants (I don't have many chase pieces, that is an illness I have chosen to avoid unless I happen to find one on a peg somewhere or happen to pick up in a trade), some of the pieces I like are things that are not generally available in the states. Canada issues, Europe only issues, maybe promo pieces for companies that are not in the states.

I know a lot of people don't like or care for "foreign" cards...but for that very reason I think that ten years from now when the dust settles and everyone takes stock of what is and what is not, because the foreign cards are ignored and dismissed now they will be comparatively rare then. I like foreign cards for that reason. I have foreign cards in my collection that date into the mid-'80's, and they are some of my better carded pieces.

I think the short card int'l stuff now is dismissed because most Americans associate them with the checkout counter point-of-sale impulse buy kid's eye grabbers at WallyMart and they don't fit in with what they expect. Ten years from now those dismissed cards will be the rare ones, and the ones everyone is fighting over now will be selling for half, a third, a quarter or less of what everybody is paying now. There's nothing new under the sun.

Patience is the crowning jewel of this hobby, *if* you are in the hobby because of the hobby and not to fleece whoever you can fleece. That's not to say it is wrong to make a little scratch for your effort...there is nothing wrong with making a profit. But if you get to where you think you can get $20 for a $1 car every time, you are in the hobby for the wrong reasons.

Tell me what you are looking for, and I'll see what I can dig up. Maybe I can help, maybe not. There are plenty of people on this board, and other boards, that are good stand up decent people to deal with. There's a few who aren't, but that goes with life. Just because there is a faddish insanity going on over chase cars this and convention cars that and what's hot today and blah blah blah...doesn't mean you have to be part of that insanity to enjoy the hobby. I've been at this hobby for the better part of 20 years even though I am a newbie here. I collect because I like cars, and I can't afford the real ones.

At least in 1/64, I don't have to change oil, pay insurance or tag fees, or buy gasoline. All I have to worry about is parking space. ;)

·
Registered
674 Posts
The short answer to your OP question is: no, I have not seen LG or Classics on Int'l cards. I am not certain any are made, but it would not surprise me if they are made either.

I think it would be cool to see a Classics card in German or an LG card in Japanese.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Unfortunately, the international market often gets the short end of the stick when it comes to Mattel's special series releases. It can be hard for int'l collectors to trade for Hot Wheels with U.S. collectors. You may have to trade hard to get international die casts to get stateside collectors to take notice. Shipping costs may also play into the situation, as well. I don't do much international shipping, so I'm unaware of the costs.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thank you all for your reply's. I'm trying to tell Mattel why would I an out of US person as a collector , buy your merchandize. If you can't make the playing board even around the world and sell the same chase everywhere, them take a hike. I've collected diecast since 1962 and I've never seen it this bad. Sure there were redlines that were US or from Hong Kong, but still never was it to the point as an old collector so blatantly obvious that we don't give a dam about the inter. collector as it is now. i haven't bought anything from Mattel lately unless I freakishly come across a Super hunt or the Snake, Mongoose Drag strip demons track. Great nostalgic set and possibly the best series that Hotwheels came up with in years. But, even the drag strip demons aren't up here in Canada, and if someone does sell them here, they're about $8.00 to $9.00 dollars. People thought JL was expensive. Everyone lately seems to just go on thinking that Mattel is doing their best to deal with slow times, when why would any international collector ( me ) buy from a company that doesn't care about the sole individual no matter from what part of the world he collects. You don't know how the read on a trade thread that says on long US card or US carded chase only, just make an international collector feel why am I into this hobby.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I hear it a lot across the couple boards I hang out, especially the guys in Canada, feel like they get the short end of the stick. And it's not just Mattel...although to be fair I seem to recall Matchbox being around Canada reasonably well and they get the Euro only stuff the US doesn't get. The trick there would be to find someone in the states that likes the Euro Matchbox that he can't get, and trade him for the stuff you can't get. But the problem goes across the board, I've heard of distribution problems in Canada especially regarding Johnny Lightning as well, and that's a complaint that includes the US. I can't speak for M2, I don't follow them as well as the others, but they seem to me kinda limited in their distribution too.

Just today I got a package I bought from a guy in BC Canada that had about 8 different McD's issue zambonis. I got a White Rose zamboni in the mix too. Granted, zambonis are a regional "hockey" thing, but I never, ever saw any McD's around here give away zambonis in their happy meals. Now, are zambonis as desirable as a TH? Probably not. But, I can brag to my good ol' southern US friends that I have something they do not have...and can't just go to the store and buy. Shoot, I haven't even seen these on fleabay.

Look around. There are HW and MB issues, some are a bit older now, that were not released in the US. Some of them fetch enough that a fair trade would be at least two TH for one of them, especially the two 4-car sets issued back around '97 or so, one was a race set using Corgi castings and another was a classic car set with some now retired castings but the particular series/variation was only in the Euro market. You might keep an eye out for 1/64 scale vintage Corgi, Hubley, Dinky and the like. There's always collectors looking for those.

Don't give up. Just keep your eyes and ears open. And grumble like the rest of us.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
When you look at Hotwheels and how they're selling up here it's pretty easy to tell that it's not going great. Lots of Mattel HW's are sitting on the pegs and shelves. This is as of now and it's Christmas time. The only thing not really selling is the Classics, Larry's & Phils garage and eventually the new delivery series. Why? Because there's no chase and most collectors here have left it alone. But, you can still see reg. boxes on skids cut open for the hunts. Why? Because there's chase in them that are worth something. The only thing we had going here was when JL had the big dumps at Walmart and you could use the WLs for trade. Just wanted to say that I'm glad to here that you've got that going as of lately at one store and can only say enjoy it while you can before the next depression.
It seems that HWs is catering to the collector and these particular chase series helps them in sales. Why, someone would collect hundreds of mainstream cars is beyond me, especially when there are other diecast makers that have a better chase when it comes to numbers made. I feel the drag strip demons are the best thing they've done in years, expensive, but still for the collector it's your best bet. Now, team that up with the Snake and Mongoose drag-strip track which seems comparable to the redline original and doesn't run on batteries. That to me is a home-run. Will it sell. Watched a lot of those sets leave TRU. So, why limit your chase to just one country of aged collectors. Why not open it up to everyone with just one generic card. It's only the HW group of collectors who have a card hang-up with inter. card, not JL, M2 or greenlight collectors ( they'll trade for a certain car no matter what the card). That's why I really quit collecting HWs in the mid nineties....the first 1998 THs didn't even say Treasure hunt.
I would like to say thanks Hobbytalk for letting me say my piece on the state of Hotwheels and never pulling the plug on my rant. It's why this is still the site that remains number 1 to me. Free speech with reason.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts