Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked this up today...

Wasn't MINRA a racing organization from like the '60s?

Original Tuffy chassis, as far as I can tell... seems the previous owner put the skinnies on to fit OUTSIDE the body...

i'm thinking that though the MINRA decal has to be old, the number decals look newer? and is Jimmy Spencer a real driver?

--rick

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
looks good.

If I may make a suggestion. Try using the front rims from a Tuff ones chassis on all four wheels. They really look better that way, more like the original Marx Willard, plus... fatter tires work better.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
MINRA, (Miniature International Racing Association) was an organization from the 1960's. (1963 to 1967) It was backed by Aurora. Secretly. Aurora put up $20,000.00 to launch the organization but left operations to the consultants. It was an attempt to set guidelines and standards for the new sport of slot car racing in all scales. There were numerous other organizations with different rules and the hope was to unify everything under one organization.

There was a news letter called "In The Groove" published. It covered all scales and manufactures and was fair in doing so. Even though it was secretly back by Aurora.

But the attempt failed in the end. I think the racers out there get with an organization or group and like the way it is. Just like in the 60's. MINRA did run for 4 years and people were members.

Randy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the Groove

MINRA, (Miniature International Racing Association) was an organization from the 1960's. (1963 to 1967) It was backed by Aurora. Secretly. Aurora put up $20,000.00 to launch the organization but left operations to the consultants. It was an attempt to set guidelines and standards for the new sport of slot car racing in all scales. There were numerous other organizations with different rules and the hope was to unify everything under one organization.

There was a news letter called "In The Groove" published. It covered all scales and manufactures and was fair in doing so. Even though it was secretly back by Aurora.

But the attempt failed in the end. I think the racers out there get with an organization or group and like the way it is. Just like in the 60's. MINRA did run for 4 years and people were members.

Randy.
Randy, Im not entirely sure "In the Groove" was backed by Aurora. My father was the publisher and editor and I remember him almost going broke keeping it afloat! I could be wrong as I was only 8 or 9 years old at the time. Did you know Homer?

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Rick, very cool car you found there :thumbsup: ....any that original MINRA decal is awesome, just wondered why they attached it upside down ? And OMG, you didn't know who Jimmy Spencer is ?! Not only is/was he a Nascar driver(up until fairly recently), but he used to run the local Pa. Dirttracks back in the late 70's and early 1980's !

·
Registered
602 Posts
Ahh... Jimmy Spencer.

Good ol' boy.

Busch Whacker.
Mr. Excitement.
He did not care who he wrecked to get to the front. He's also the reason the NASCARS are weighed with the driver in them. He was .....um....Plump.

He's still on Speed, as an analist and commentator, he's the guy with the cigar.(and the big mouth)

·
Villain
4,632 Posts
He's also from Pa. I remember him racing Nascar in the early 90's. Neat hearing a nascar guy talk without that southern hick accent.

·
Registered
264 Posts
That looks lke an American Line Kit that was availabile from REH in the late 90's. It came with a repro Marx body ( Willard, Harvey, Tbird, Corvette, Rolls) and an Aurora Tuff Ones chassis with skinny Tjet wheels and tires.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Cool !

That looks lke an American Line Kit that was availabile from REH in the late 90's. It came with a repro Marx body ( Willard, Harvey, Tbird, Corvette, Rolls) and an Aurora Tuff Ones chassis with skinny Tjet wheels and tires.
Wow- that's very interesting, thanks for sharing that info :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Yeah- MR. EXCITEMENT !

He's also from Pa. I remember him racing Nascar in the early 90's. Neat hearing a nascar guy talk without that southern hick accent.
Yeah, he's originally from Berwick Pa, and I met him many times back in his dirt track racing days....he actually won his first feature race(in '76) at Port Royal Speedway, which is my local track. But the man Was(and still is) an ASSHAT !
If he wasn't slammin cars on the track, he was Slammin Drivers in the Pits !

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately for him, the Kurt Busch thing is about all he did in Cup that's half worth remembering.

I see that turkey, I change the channel. I can handle DW. Spencer....not so much.

I don't know who's back he scratched to get on TV.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Randy, Im not entirely sure "In the Groove" was backed by Aurora. My father was the publisher and editor and I remember him almost going broke keeping it afloat! I could be wrong as I was only 8 or 9 years old at the time. Did you know Homer?
No I didn't know Mr. Hleovas or Leovas as he spelled it for public purposes. My information came from "Greenberg's Guide To Aurora Slot Cars". The book mentions that Homer was named the Executive Director.

Randy.

·
Registered
512 Posts
For the record: Nascar was bigger and better when most of the drivers spoke with that "southern hick accent!"

Jim Norton
Huntsville, AL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts