Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on an a first run frankenstein, doing an retro style is really challenging to give it that vintage Aurora look as seen in the instructions, I am half done on this but I will add photos of this project if anyone like to learn or do this vintage style.Btw I am doing dupes of the Aurora monsters in this style.
Randy

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Randy,

So can you share with us what you can do to identify a first run kit? What info depicts this...markings, plastic color, etc?

Can't wait to see what you come up with...

BTW: I ask because I might have a first run Frankenstein build-up I want to check...

MMM

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Randy,

So can you share with us what you can do to identify a first run kit? What info depicts this...markings, plastic color, etc?

Can't wait to see what you come up with...

BTW: I ask because I might have a first run Frankenstein build-up I want to check...

MMM
A first run means that is from at very early run, for example this kit is from a thin box Frankenstein, so its an early run, a first run Canadian kit is hard box like a usa kit, also the instructions had binder holes patterns to be punched out, the crown plastic knights are first or early runs.
The detail on a first run, is very crisp and flash free, because the molds are new and not worn.
Hope this helps.
Randy

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Randy,

Just found some further info and confirmed what I was looking for....the original issue info states that on the first run Frankenstein, the base incorrectly credits Aurora as owning the Frankenstein copyright reading "Aurora Plastics Corp, 1961" on the bottom of the base. No mention of Universal Pictures....

The second run corrects the copyright and adds Universal Pictures to the copyright...

Looks like I have both....

They are both molded in light grey plastic.

Bob

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Need to have the model to look simple but at the same time have very subtle shading, and some darks to show face and hand features, to give that vintage Frankenstein instruction/retro look.More like painting a kit for a photo shoot, like I did on the sinbad figure, again with a vintage 60's look.

In this first pic, you can see how the paint layering is in progress, the sleeves and shirt needs to be toned down, but still have some subtle 2 tone shading.
The head is comming along nicely, the shading under the eyes will be toned down, the skin will not be shaded, but the dark details under brow,nose nostrils, some face lines are added, that will be sufficient, if lighter and dark skin tones were added with the dark features, it would look too busy and overly done.
To give this model some vintage charactor I left the Grave stone assembly and grave markers unpainted, but filled in the details.
The grass is two tone shaded,no the grass does not look real, but it adds to the vintage look, and a great contrast to the other colors.
I will add more close up pics and give a dissription how I actually did the face details.
Remember the object here is to give it that 60's look, like I said its a challege to make a model to look like a showcase winner without alot of shading.
Denis and Roy you are the only 2 that are really interested, I will continue if you 2 like to see more.
Randy

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Randy,

Just found some further info and confirmed what I was looking for....the original issue info states that on the first run Frankenstein, the base incorrectly credits Aurora as owning the Frankenstein copyright reading "Aurora Plastics Corp, 1961" on the bottom of the base. No mention of Universal Pictures....

The second run corrects the copyright and adds Universal Pictures to the copyright...

Looks like I have both....

They are both molded in light grey plastic.

Bob
Bob that can be misleading , because some frighting lightning kits had only 1961, and some later Canadian soft box kits and the universal logo and some didnt.I think this subject came up recently actually forget where.
i know this is a early run becuase it was from a thin box version, same size box as the knights
Randy

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Randy,

Thanks but it is hard for someone that has a build-up to know if it is "really" a first run or not...unless you have something more definative...like crisp details and maybe markings as well to go by. I don't have a box that mine came in...mine was built already.

Also, my info on the Frightning Lightning for Frankenstein says it was molded in "black" plastic as was the Glow in the Dark Series.

I am interested in what you are doing too so you can count me in as well.

Bob

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i had seen frightning lightning Frankensteins in grey aslo
I know the canada editions were in grey for sure I had 4.
Randy

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
As you can see in this pic, the face needs toning down around the eyes, layering some skin color is needed.I will explain how I did it later on, dont have enough time right now.
Randy

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Yea I have a Frightning Lightning that is gray plastic - have also seen both gray and black plastic in the square Glow boxes. The 1969 Glow was either gray or black - never ran across a later soft sqare box Glow in gray, just black.
Steve

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Hey Buzz just got home from work and YOU BET I'm in for this ride:thumbsup:
Mcdee

·
Curmudgeon
6,598 Posts
I have a nostalgic soft spot for this kit and I've never seen one of your build-ups that I didn't admire, so I'm definitely interested!

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Randy,

Sorry, I didn't mean to sidebar your thread...just asking about first runs while you were talking about it for your build.

Are you planning on also doing some seam work or will you leave the seams alone as it was probably done in the 60's?

Your build is shaping up nicely!:thumbsup:

Bob

1 - 20 of 28 Posts