Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Note: This review was written a number of years ago but may still be interesting to some.

Two of the most common tools used in our pit box are Allen Hex Wrenches and Nut Drivers. I bet I've owned a dozens of sets over the years and have found that they either don't hold up well and break or just aren't suited for the job we want them to do. In my search for the perfect set of tools I ran across Integy's Hex Wrenches and Nut Drivers. They are a little pricey but I was desperate to find a set of tools that would hold up to the abuse I put them through and really do the job at the same time. Most important for me was the durability of the hex wrenches for pinion set screws and finding a nut driver that would fix the spring post on motors.

Both sets of tools include machined and anodized aluminum handles that while not too big, are big enough to let you get enough grip to loosen those tough screws and nuts.

The Hex Wrenches have 3" long shanks to let you get into those hard to reach places. The machining quality of the wrenches are excellent with all sharp edges radiused to relieve stress and reduce breakage. They are Ti-Nitride coated to prevent corrosion and increase durability. The complete set includes 0.050", 1/16", 3/32", 5/64", 2.5mm and 1.5mm sizes. All of the hex wrenches have color coded handles to make it easier to find the wrench you are looking for.

Having used these wrenches for close to 6 months I can say they have been the best set of hex wrenches that I have used so far. They have held up to the abuse I've dished out and even the .050" and 1/16" sized wrenches look and grip like new. If you do happen to break a tip, you can purchase replacement shafts.

The Nut Drivers are really trick. They have a thin wall design to let you get into those tight places and the deep well socket lets you use it on those nuts that are on long screws. It is almost impossible to find a nut driver that works well on motor spring posts, but the Integy motor post nut driver works perfectly and doesn't slip.

There is a chrome finish on the nut driver along with the anodized aluminum color coded handles to make sure they will keep their like-new look. I've gotten the most use out of the 7.0mm size for wheel nuts and the 4.5mm size for motor spring posts. These two are included in Integy's Team Metric Hex Socket set that also includes a 5.0mm and 5.5mm sized wrenches.

Integy also has a Team Standard Hex Socket set that includes 3/16", 1/4" and 11/32" sizes. Although I haven't used the standard sized hex wrenches I will assume they are of the same high quality as the metric wrenches.

If you are looking for a set of wrenches that will do the job, hold up well and look good to boot, then you should seriously consider Integy's Hex Wrenches and Hex Drivers. If your local hobby shop doesn't carry them you can purchased them on-line direct from Integy at http://www.integy.com

C22303 - Team Standard Hex Socket Set 3pcs - $25.99
C22302 - Team Metric Hex Socket Set 4pcs - $35.99
C22301 - Wrench Set Ti-Nitride Hex 6pcs - $29.95

Hank

1 - 1 of 1 Posts