Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here used the new Integy Auto-lathe? If so, what are your thoughts? Doesn't seem like a bad price on it, but wanted to get some opinions from people that have used it.

Thanks

RC

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Get the best you can afford..
This is something you will never need to get rid of. There is someone selling a nearly new one for $175 in the swap and sell section.
one advantage is the power feed give you a very consistant surface finish. The surface of the V blocks is Carbide...VERY Hard and will last a LONG time and maintain their accuracy.
It also has stops to adjust the position of the com.. very nice feature. You do need a 12V power supply to run it.

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
241 Posts
Almost everyone I race with has a Team Cobra lathe. It's a steal at 169 w/ a diamond bit(cost 80 by it's self). The blocks don't wear down and the adjustments are extremely smooth. I've seen Trinity's and Hudy's and they are just as good, but cost more and are more maintaince.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I bought a Team Orion and like it ok, but I wish I'd bought the Hudy. I've 'heard' the cobra lathes are good lathes, but not exceptional. All good lathes have adjustable gibbs, so make sure whatever you buy has them. The Orion and hudy also have adjustable stops so you can't accidentally cut too far towards the turns and ruin your bit. The only thing I can say about Hudy, is they have uncompromising quality, in everything they produce.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have a cobra lathe, and I can't really think of anything wrong with it, and for $100 on stormerhobbies.com you can't really go wrong (unless you want a diamond bit, which somebody else has mentioned, the whole thing goes for 169, but at the time I can't justify spending that much money on a bit. I don't know if its true, but I've heard that diamond bits dont actually make a better quality cut, they just last longer, and for the amount of carbide bits I could get for $70, I'm not too worried about that). I have the manual version, and I can see how an automated lathe might make more consistent cuts, but I dont think that would be enough of a difference to justify the extra cash. Besides, I prefer the manual version cause I feel like I'm in more control. Just my $.02

·
Registered
241 Posts
JB_The_Evader said:
I have a cobra lathe, and I can't really think of anything wrong with it, and for $100 on stormerhobbies.com you can't really go wrong (unless you want a diamond bit, which somebody else has mentioned, the whole thing goes for 169, but at the time I can't justify spending that much money on a bit. I don't know if its true, but I've heard that diamond bits dont actually make a better quality cut, they just last longer, and for the amount of carbide bits I could get for $70, I'm not too worried about that). I have the manual version, and I can see how an automated lathe might make more consistent cuts, but I dont think that would be enough of a difference to justify the extra cash. Besides, I prefer the manual version cause I feel like I'm in more control. Just my $.02
Diamond bits do last longer, unless you act careless and chip it. If you don't, you will get equally great cuts from the first pass to your 1000th pass. And yes, they can go for a thousand cuts.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Yeah I've heard about them lasting upwards of 4 years, and I'll probably pick one up sooner or later. Man this hobby is a money pit lol. $80 bit for a $100 lathe (or more) to save your $40-50 motors. Oh well, its fun :thumbsup:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Twitch, Some people feel this is a HOBBY and prefer it that way. Spending money and never having to do maintenance on a motor, I feel, is taking some of the enjoyment out of the hobby. Fine for some, but not for me.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I know sometimes motor building is a pain, but when you really work a motor and figure out what makes it tick, then it dyno's good and runs awesome on the track, it's something to be proud of.

When I think of brushless in RC this anology comes to mind, it would be like Nascar running electic motors. What fun is that, no more Yates Horsepower to worry about, LOL

I mean I think Brushless has it's place. Maybe a class devoted to it on a local level and I think it would make a great spec class. But I dont think you will see it catch on in most National Events.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
erock1331. You said it all.Tinkering on that motor trying everything possibly to weasel out every drop off power is half the fun. So get you the best Lathe and turn those comm's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts