Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen discussions in forums about about saving model boxes.

On a similar note do any of you save instruction sheets and/or try to preserve them in as pristine a condition as possible?

While I do not go out of my way to deface them I also do not go out of my way to preserve them.

I leave mine in the boxes, which I also save. At this point I still have room for them (boxes).

Some of my instruction sheets end up with glue, paint, tape, coffee spills, etc on them. I've used portions of them for notes, masking, and as a paint pallette!

Depending on the complexity of the kit I may not even refer to them except as a cusory read through. Like those that might have a short blurb about the subject of the kit.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I don't necessarily save them unless there's something interesting about them.
Mine end up stained too and quite often I might tick off the parts as I go on more complex builds.
I rarely even follow them with figure kits as I just like to get the main parts together.
I also might annotate each stage with colour callouts if the numbers they use are unfamiliar

·
Registered
461 Posts
I keep mine in a folder,just in case I have to restore something,not so often now that my kids are in their 20's-30's........Grand kids are more respectful of Papa's models...lol
cheers,Gordon M

·
Registered
90 Posts
I do keep the instructions after the build if there's some complex assembly that might have to be redone due to breakage, or if I'm keeping the box because it's a vintage kit.

Al

·
Oxidation Genius
31,235 Posts
I throw all my instruction sheets in a drawer. I figure I might at least like to have the profile views on the painting instructions some day. I used to save the boxtops too, if the art was nice. But I recently cleaned out the drawers and tossed the boxtops.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I've still got the instruction for the Revell Enterprise kit from 50 years ago in storage some where!! And I've also got them for the AMT smoothy Enterprise from STTMP.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I usually scan them into the computer and save them in a folder with all the pictures and anything relevant to the model. Then they go into the trash or maybe I use them to help mask large areas of the model. For boxes I take a couple of digital pics and file them in the relevant model folder as well and then I chuck the box. I simply don't have room for all this stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
I've been saving the top panels of model boxes for the Final Workshop I hope to build someday. I'm thinking I'll use them in a collage on the ceiling or something. I've saved some instructions that I pencilled extensive notes on (King Kong, for example - the precise location of plants that still come with the kit and those that have been omitted, scale computation based on Fay Wray's height, etc.) Other instrux end up in the recycle bin.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Yes, I keep the instructions, and the boxes too, even if the box came in poor condition, though I have scrapped one or two really terrible boxes; otherwise, I keep everything, even the empty sprues as a rule.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts