Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I would be so all over alot of Johns' choices. If only...

·
Starship Class
11,925 Posts
Don't bother! I've tried ordering those models from John and so far a big, fat NADA! :(

·
Oxidation Genius
31,276 Posts
Steve244 said:
John Steed only gets one and Mrs. Peel five?!
Betcherass!

Only five? I gotta watch the series again and pick some more outfuits.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Wow! John Payne needs to win the lottery or ingratiate himself with an an immensely wealthy geriatric uncle right away.

I NEED --- errrrr, the world needs these models! (Especially the classic trek and 2001 subjects.)

M.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Many the aircraft subjects on John's list ARE available -- in resin -- from companies like Anigrand, Unicraft and Planet. You just need to know where to look...

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
After looking at the parts of my Trumpeter/HobbyCraft F4U-1D Corsair, I'm impressed...they do some amazing work.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hate to pee on everyones parade, but even if some company were to produce all these great kits. Where would they sell them? The retail scene has radically changed from the 60's,70's,80's,even the 90's. Very few retailers even stock any kind of kits anymore.
For Example:
Wal-Mart-They have about 1/6(if that) of an aisle w/ kits. A handful of cars, a couple of planes and the occasional oddball kit. That's it, and they're supposed to be the largest toy retailer!
Target: Zero,Zip, Nada! They briefly carried a few PL Kits, if you blinked you missed em.
K-Mart-They barely carry regular merchandise, much less any kits, next.
Toys R Us-Ugh, See Wal-Mart above. store is a joke.
Kb Toys-Zero, an occasional closeout kit might pop up from time to time.
Hobby Lobby/ Michaels- HL have a decent selection of kits, though it can be pretty hit or miss. Michaels has a small selection, mostly cars.
And thanks to Wal-Mart and other so-called SuperStores, Discount stores like Woolworths,Newberry's,Kresge's,Winn's, Ben Franklin, Fedmart,Grant's,TG&Y, WoolCo, Etc. are history. All these stores were a great place to pick up all kinds of kits.
The Local Hobby Shop- How many of you even still have a Hobby Shop nearby?
Here we have a grand total of 1, and it's mostly an RC shop. If you're not an RC Customer, they want nothing to do w/ you.
The one possible bright spot may be selling online, the downside may be the high shipping rates.
And while ordering online is ok, nothing beats finding that kit you've been looking for on the shelf.
Oh yeah, and add a Large Scale Galaxy Quest Protector to the list!
PS. If I won the lottery, the heck w/ kits. I'd attend the next Christies auction and buy the Actual Enterprise model(s).

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Seeing these that Rob/kylwell did above, I'm reminded of some of those that Thomas Sasser has done in the past. Great stuff. :)

fernieo said:
Hate to pee on everyones parade, but even if some company were to produce all these great kits. Where would they sell them?
>SNIPPAGE!<
The same places that a lot of similar kits are sold now - in some few hobby shops as well as online. Places such as Hobby Link Japan, Starship Modeler and others seem to be fairly booming w/the kits that they retail. PL seems to have done well enough w/their Trek kits that it wasn't a loss for RC2 when they purchased Praying Mantis to decide to stop the PL Trek line.

·
Registered
325 Posts
fernieo said:
Hate to pee on everyones parade, but even if some company were to produce all these great kits. Where would they sell them? The retail scene has radically changed from the 60's,70's,80's,even the 90's. Very few retailers even stock any kind of kits anymore.
For Example:
Wal-Mart-They have about 1/6(if that) of an aisle w/ kits. A handful of cars, a couple of planes and the occasional oddball kit. That's it, and they're supposed to be the largest toy retailer!
Target: Zero,Zip, Nada! They briefly carried a few PL Kits, if you blinked you missed em.
K-Mart-They barely carry regular merchandise, much less any kits, next.
Toys R Us-Ugh, See Wal-Mart above. store is a joke.
Kb Toys-Zero, an occasional closeout kit might pop up from time to time.
Hobby Lobby/ Michaels- HL have a decent selection of kits, though it can be pretty hit or miss. Michaels has a small selection, mostly cars.
And thanks to Wal-Mart and other so-called SuperStores, Discount stores like Woolworths,Newberry's,Kresge's,Winn's, Ben Franklin, Fedmart,Grant's,TG&Y, WoolCo, Etc. are history. All these stores were a great place to pick up all kinds of kits.
The Local Hobby Shop- How many of you even still have a Hobby Shop nearby?
Here we have a grand total of 1, and it's mostly an RC shop. If you're not an RC Customer, they want nothing to do w/ you.
The one possible bright spot may be selling online, the downside may be the high shipping rates.
And while ordering online is ok, nothing beats finding that kit you've been looking for on the shelf.
Oh yeah, and add a Large Scale Galaxy Quest Protector to the list!
PS. If I won the lottery, the heck w/ kits. I'd attend the next Christies auction and buy the Actual Enterprise model(s).
Where? Any decent hobby store that's kept up with thier client wants and demands.

I've got 4.

99% of business fail due to simple bad business practices. Even big businesses can fail, the only thing that keeps them moving is momentum (like Toys'r'us).

Nobody likes to be told the reason thier LHS closed was becuase the owners were bad at business but in truth it's more common than being ran out of business by a big box.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,276 Posts
abu625 said:
Many the aircraft subjects on John's list ARE available -- in resin -- from companies like Anigrand, Unicraft and Planet. You just need to know where to look...
Which is why, no offense, I want them as inexpensive styrene kits. I'm currently building Collect-Aire's 1/48 McDonnel XP-67. It was $150 three years ago when I got it. Detail is sparse, molding rough and bubbly, parts fit variable. I've spent almost two weeks sanding it so the blended wing/fuselage parts actually blend. I have THIRTEEN .45 slugs in it weighing the nosewheel down, and I had to rebuild one of the engine nacelles that shattered while I was drilling it out for said weights. I haven't gotten to the dreaded vacuform canopy yet, but i sure hope it fits better than the last Collect-Aire kit's I did.

Had it been a nice styrene kit from Hasegawa, I'd be done and on to the next project by now. There's a point where "fun" morphs into "challenge" and "challenge" morphs into "pain in the butt."

1 - 20 of 29 Posts