Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, this is kind of a Technical question, so I hope this is ok to post in this section ? Anyway, it's about comm Brush compatibility. Ya see, I have a few old Atlas Chassis in need of new comm brushes, and so far the only source for OEM/NOS brushes seems to come from Mr. Atlas/ aka Mr. Coney ! Well...I'd prefer Not to pay his prices of over $6 for a stinkin pair of 50 year old carbon brushes. So I'm wondering IF I can substitute modern inline brushes instead. I was wondering if all the other modern makers, like Tyco, Tomy, Life-Like, Aurora G+, etc. were all the same diameter ? please enlighten me, thanks :D

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
D'oh !....the Atlas are smaller Dia ! I just measured the diameters, and a Tyco is .064" and the Atlas is .060" ±. So I think the Tyco's will work, unless they are too tight to slide into the Wonky Atlas spring....then I could just roll them on sandpaper until they fit.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Inline Aurora Brushes ?

Can someone tell me the diameter of the old Aurora G+ and/or the Speed Steer comm brushes, as I think I can get those the cheapest ?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
interesting
if the brush fits inside the spring how does spring provide tension?

looks like a work around is a tyco type brush and a cut tyco spring?

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slotking, the Spring pulls the brush toward the comm, it has a wider flange on the comm side to prevent it from sliding all the way into the tube, and then the spring closes up on the end at the outer side. So DON'T Stretch These Springs- as that will Kill them, and they are VERY RARE and Scarce, and appear the only NOS ones have to come from Mr. Atlas- aka Mr. Coney !

·
BANNED
8,262 Posts
small coil

interesting
if the brush fits inside the spring how does spring provide tension?

looks like a work around is a tyco type brush and a cut tyco spring?
check the diagram ....
there is a small coil on one end of the spring that pushes on the end of the brush.
and it appears to be an adjustable brush tube to tune the pressure.

maybe!

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alpink, although some might think the pressure is tunable, it wasn't really meant to be. And on the SlimLine version of this chassis, although the tube/spring setup is almost identical, you cannot tune the pressure by backing out the tube- because the tube has to be Tight against a brass plate to make electrical contact for the pickups.
And Slotking, in the past I have cut down a Tyco spring and used it in conjunction with the oem Atlas spring for added tension. but you cannot lose the Atlas spring altogether, because the tube inside dia is wider, and the normal diameter brush will cant in the bore, and flop around on the comm erratically (ask me how I know) :(

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a pic of the Slimline Atlas chassis, the spring and brush are the same part number, but the brush tube itself is slightly different with a hole in the outer end.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
interesting stuff

but you cannot lose the Atlas spring altogether, because the tube inside dia is wider, and the normal diameter brush will cant in the bore, and flop around on the comm erratically (ask me how I know)
if the tube is that big, maybe a slottech bigfoot brush will fit if cut down??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts