Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with this? There is a guy that I race with that has one? He really likes it. It is a bit pricey though. Any thoughts or comments?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I think this is one of the better battery conditioners on the market.

If you go side by side your batteries you get the indvidual readings on each cell and in essesence can make you weed out bad cells in your packs. Done this a few times and ran the cells on my gfx and pretty much got the same numbers.

I have one and may get another. Had the trusty old novak trya and gave that up for the DPD.

The whole package of the display, battery conditioning and runs off 2 batteries makes it easy use and maintain.

mike

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
I really like mine. I don't have a CE charger. So the DPD does what I need to cover that issue.

The DPD is very user friendly. It isn't too big. You don't have to plug it in to anything - it runs on 2 AA's.
The only thing I would change - it would be nice if the user could choose when to change the screen when documenting the results of a discharge cycle. The DPD switches screens faster that I can write down all the info. Not a really big deal though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Trinity DPD

I have one and love it. It numbers are very close to my GFX35 . I use mine when I want to check a pack's cells or removing the storage charge before charging if I have not charged in a while. For discharging on race day I normally use my Battery Doc 8.0. They are cheaper ($45) or so and do 2 packs at a time which is nice when running at your home track on a reg raceday. With the use of both I have noticed my packs last longer and some of my old packs have equlized there cells.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
on another board, there were all these "complaints" about the DPD not being "up to par". was following up that it could be from 'bad' cells, 'bad' solder joints, 'bad' this and that... but who knows.... doesnt seem like anyone here has problems....

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The 1st blue faced unit I got failed after 19 battery's just equalizing after I dumped them on the T-35, not even full cycles. Trinity did promptly send the new updated unit free of charge. One quick phone call and it was out the door that day. I decided to sell the new unit for a couple of reasons.

1- it takes too long to complete a cycle. i'd need 4 units to do what I needed to do in a timely fashion. It takes this long to discharge because they need to pulse the discharge, with pauses in between to prevent the unit from burning up.
2- I definetely dont want to train my packs to take 2 hours to discharge. Even Trinity says its best to cycle them once on a T-35 or something again before the pack is run right in the instructions. I also suspect it would raise the IR's doing this repeatedly.
3-If I wanted to pulse my packs I could do it on the charge cycle on a charger, in a fraction of the time. I suspect the charge cycle is where you really want to pulse, I could be wrong.
It holds heat in the cells, for a long time during discharge. Not the hot ticket for todays NiMh cells I suspect.
It is a great little unit for weeding out bad cells and could act as a low buck matcher if you trusted its numbers, I found a lack of repeatability on cells.
It does a great job at equalizing packs though, which is it main purpose. I ended up dumping to 4.00V on my T-35 then setting the packs in the DPD before I ran them again, but it just took too long when I was in a rush and I thought I noticed a slight drop in performance so I bailed on mine. Not a bad little gadget for the money but I finally bought a charger that did all that stuff in a fraction of the time. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
i guess ill stick with the trusty method of discharging with my t30, and then equalizing on a smart tray... tried and true method... unless i shell out for a better system like the muchmore or something...

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
I also dump my packs on a turbo 35 then take them down some more on an Indi 0-30 and use the DPD only for final equalization. My race regimen is to dump the packs the night before the race, equalize them and put 2-3 minutes of charge in them. The 2-3 minutes keeps them from getting below the critical threshhold for the one day until the race and it takes much less time to discharge/equalize on race day. An added benefit that I don't have to wait for them to cool after being equalized on race day because there isn't enough charge left in them to get them hot.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
tanktruck88 said:
Has anyone had any experience with this? There is a guy that I race with that has one? He really likes it. It is a bit pricey though. Any thoughts or comments?

I Just rec'd mine yesterday and I'm going to go with the old standby ,,,,

IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING GOOD , DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL !!!

Mines going back , keep your money :(

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Mayhem said:
The 1st blue faced unit I got failed after 19 battery's just equalizing after I dumped them on the T-35, not even full cycles. Trinity did promptly send the new updated unit free of charge. One quick phone call and it was out the door that day. I decided to sell the new unit for a couple of reasons.

1- it takes too long to complete a cycle. i'd need 4 units to do what I needed to do in a timely fashion. It takes this long to discharge because they need to pulse the discharge, with pauses in between to prevent the unit from burning up.
2- I definetely dont want to train my packs to take 2 hours to discharge. Even Trinity says its best to cycle them once on a T-35 or something again before the pack is run right in the instructions. I also suspect it would raise the IR's doing this repeatedly.
3-If I wanted to pulse my packs I could do it on the charge cycle on a charger, in a fraction of the time. I suspect the charge cycle is where you really want to pulse, I could be wrong.
It holds heat in the cells, for a long time during discharge. Not the hot ticket for todays NiMh cells I suspect.
It is a great little unit for weeding out bad cells and could act as a low buck matcher if you trusted its numbers, I found a lack of repeatability on cells.
It does a great job at equalizing packs though, which is it main purpose. I ended up dumping to 4.00V on my T-35 then setting the packs in the DPD before I ran them again, but it just took too long when I was in a rush and I thought I noticed a slight drop in performance so I bailed on mine. Not a bad little gadget for the money but I finally bought a charger that did all that stuff in a fraction of the time. Hope this helps.
Sent mine back also ,,,, I personnally think you'll get better equalization with a Battery Doctor or a Novak SE with the Hold function on. :thumbsup:

My DPD stopped discharging when the first cell hit its cut off point,,,,Thats not true equalizing in my mind.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
NCFRC said:
Sent mine back also ,,,, I personnally think you'll get better equalization with a Battery Doctor or a Novak SE with the Hold function on. :thumbsup:

My DPD stopped discharging when the first cell hit its cut off point,,,,Thats not true equalizing in my mind.
Are you sure it stopped discharging? Or it just changed the way it discharged the rest of the cells?

The fact that it switches from the 30A pulse mode to the 5A linear once the first cell reaches cutoff may not be what you expected, but it doesn't mean it isn't equalizing the cells.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
RCMits said:
i guess ill stick with the trusty method of discharging with my t30, and then equalizing on a smart tray... tried and true method... unless i shell out for a better system like the muchmore or something...
I've owned a DPD , Integy 0-30 ,a Novak SE , a Trinity D90 , and a Tekin Battery Doctor, and after using them all , I M O O , use the tekin and take battery out when lights go out and your fine. Our 4200's after a years use still IR @ 5.9 for a 4 cell pack . :thumbsup:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Trinity DPD discharger

It's been about 6 months, how does everyone rate the DPD now?? I have one since about May.. I love mine and has never failed me.. What does everyone think now??

1 - 20 of 37 Posts