Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
401 Posts
The Indy Cars are much lighter with a lower center of gravity. The outer curve is what most companies designate as Radius 3 .

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Yeah, those SCX and Scalextric NASCAR's are bricks - they are fun to race, but definitely carry a lot more weight around. That Scalextric F1 car is a ton lighter for sure and always handles better than the NASCARs. Think of it this way, the NASCAR has a higher roll center and center of gravity. The lower to the ground the over all car's weight is, the better it handles.

Have fun with your new purchases!

PD2:thumbsup:

·
Registered
444 Posts
To continue on the explanation they gave, the NASCARs average about 88g and the F1 cars average about 65g, though some are heavier. The NASCAR has a nice bit of clearance under it, but the F1 cars have practically no clearance. Last night the front magnet holder of both my F1 cars popped out on-track, causing the car to stop immediately because it couldn't clear them at all. This means the magnetic force is closer to the track on the F1 cars. They also have wider tires, allowing you to get better traction from them as well.

On our local 70' Scalextric Sport track, the NASCARs average around 4.95s, while the F1 cars average around 4.0s. The fastest a NASCAR has gotten so far was my #97 turning a 4.67s in qualifying, and for F1 cars my Williams shovel-nose turned a 3.806s, though it is capable of going much faster and I'll be pulling it out again soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts