Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys dont know if you have heard yet, but there is a !/4 scale race planned for jan 22nd and 23rd in Des Moines, Ia. at Vets Auditorium. this is a 1st year race and i would love to see a big showing. They will be running grand nationals and sprint cars on coke syrup. should be interesting performing in front of a large crowd. they will be running 4 wheelers, go-carts as well. This would be great exposure for our 1/4 scale class. hope to see some people make the trip. if any questions i will try to get the answers for you.

·
Registered
325 Posts
theres goin to be a few sportsman headin down there also will there be a class for us? also are we goin o run both days or just one of them? thanks

·
Registered
898 Posts
According to the original post there was going to be Sportsmen and Sprints, so which is it now? Sportsmen or GN?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1/4 scale race

1st off i need to apologize for the mis imformation i gave. the classes will be sportsman and sprintcar. from what i have been told the track will be about 400 ft , i would wager maybe a bit bigger considering the size of the building and the larger vehicles that will be racing as well. but for now that is the best i can do. the track will be flat and they will be using coke syrup to increase traction. from what i have been told if there is a good showing this may become an annual event, no guarantees though. hope this helps.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I dug up a old link that was posted previously. www.battleatthebarn.com

Hopefully this will be a good PR event for us. I don't suspect it will be anything like was are accustomed to as the track time may be very limited. The upside is that it will give us plenty of time to talk with people about our hobby.

Kevin

·
Registered
261 Posts
I emailed the promotor and asked him about the track size. This is what he responded with.....

"The straights are app 120 feet long and the the total width of the track is 100 feet which makes for 30 foot wide corners."

·
Registered
35 Posts
Start Times

When Will You Be Running? The Friday Show Is Usually Practice Only At Night. The Saturday Show Runs From Early Morning Till 10:00- 11:00 P.m. I Guess I'm Asking What Is The Program Format And Run Times. If You Haven't Seen This Show, It's Really Impressive. They Run Two Sets Of Heats For All Classes During The Morning Rounds, Take A Short Lunch Break, Then Start The Features Around 5:30-6:00. Last Years Show Had A Good Crowd In The Stands As Well As The All Day People In The Pit Area. If You've Never Been To A Show That Toby Puts On, You'll Be Impressed. This Years Event Appears To Be Even Better And I'm Sure It Will Be. If You've Been Around Long Enough, You Might Have Seen The 1/4 Scale Sprints Run At Vet's On Coke Syrup In The Early 80's. Hope This Brings More People To 1/4 Scale.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I helped officiate at Vets for a few years in the mid eighties, got sicker then a dog off the fumes and couldn't hear for a week after, but it was fun

·
Registered
325 Posts
i talked to JP the other night and it soiunds like if you miss friday you can run on saturday. sounds like its just practice on friday and racing begins at 9am on saturday.

·
Registered
325 Posts
i talked to one of the guys that works for the promoter sounds like there might be about 40 quarter scalers gonna be there. That is so freakin sweet!!!
Also there is gonna be some races in Waterloo Ia. also. Its Iowa and were gonna run all year lol!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I talked to the guy workn for the promoter and there will be some practice on sat. before we race. I think doors open at 8. works better for me i can just go down on saturday do a little practice and race an go home without gettin a hotel room. from what im told the drivers stand will be some sort of scaffolding and it will be a little chilly in there cause the exhaust fans will be running.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
342 Posts
This race is just about 2 weeks away. Just who is planning to attend? I had shoulder surgery in mid- December and WILL TRY to be there....but I'm not going to fight snow and ice to get there. Staying at the Altoona Motel 6...Bob & Jackie Elliott are staying there also...anyone else?

Larry

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Larry
DC and myself are coming up from Dallas,should be there thursday sometime, staying with his inlaws. Last time i talked to Jeff, he was coming also!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Zach and me plan on coming over Saturday morning, I have to work Friday night and Zach has a bowling meeting.

Are we going to setup a booth or something.... I know that was talked about earlier.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Zach and me plan on coming over Saturday morning, I have to work Friday night and Zach has a bowling meeting.

Are we going to setup a booth or something.... I know that was talked about earlier.
Jeff says he has talked to the guy and yes we will have a booth/display set up!!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts