Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fellow german modeler posted an absolutely incredible and easy way to paint the bussard collectors of the Polar Lights NX-01. Here is a picture - in the lower right corner a screenshot, the huge one is the painted model part! He just painted it clear red from inside, then he drybrushed silver also from inside onto it (behind the red coat):

http://hometown.aol.de/Witch008/NX1.jpg

For me the result is just U N B E L I E V A B L E!!!

Greetings from Germany
Marco

·
Starship Class
12,120 Posts
Very cool! I also like the results of clear red backed up by metallic copper that someone(?) did recently for the 1701 nacelle domes. Very inventive.

·
Registered
298 Posts
This confirms something that I had thought out already. The pics of the CGI model though seem to be red with golden swirlies. Maybe instead of silver use a drybrushed gold.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Looking at the dome, it doesn't look like a drybrushed effect--more like the silver was stippled on, or flakes of glitter were sprinkled in. Either way, it's a very nice result. I'd like to know exactly how it was done before I get around to working on my kit.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
qtan said:
I'd like to know exactly how it was done before I get around to working on my kit.
He took an old, stiff brush, dipped it in silver paint, "cleaned" the brush like you have to do when drybrushing, and then pointed the remaining color to the inner, clear red painted dome surface. I`ve done so also yesterday, and the result is amazing!

Greetings from Germany
Marco

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,044 Posts
Then what?

Marco,

This is a great effect, and I thank you for sharing it. I'm not clear on one point, though. The silver drybrushing goes on the inside of the clear red topcoated dome. The drybrushing obviously wasn't intended to create a uniform appearance; therefore the bright spots we see are, I assume, the silver paint. What about the dark areas, then?

Did you and your friend spray black over the silver (that is, on the inside of the dome) to darken the plastic that was not covered by the drybrushed paint? Or are we seeing the darkness within the closed nacelle halves through the painted clear dome?

Danke!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts