Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For some laughs and giggles, I've been working on this fun little project. It's a Refit Destroyer from the AMT kit. While I looked to have a simple little project, it quickly grew. I couldn't leave well enough alone, noooo. I had to make improvements. So, going through my stash of assorted parts, I came up w/the following bits to go with it....

DLM B/C deck and accurate impulse engines. Saucer shuttlebay and saucer mounted Photon Pod by VA Miniatures. I grabbed an unused, slightly modified Bridge from a scrapped build (lowered the sensor dome to the more accurate profile), a pair of "sensor strips" replacing the 2 forward saucer rim window inserts, a resin lower sensor array and a more detailed bussard collector with the "fin" in the middle. (uh, forgot the name of the ship with that feature). I had just this single one in the parts bin so it was a good place to use it. The dorsal is unchanged from the kit. Warp engine outer halves, of course.. Finally, a pair of VA Miniature meg.aphaser cannons that will be mounted to the old Enterprise pylon mount which I didn't plan to remove anyway.

I've honestly forgotten where I got the resin bussard collector and lower sensor array from, though. These pics show where I've gotten as of just a day or so ago. I had to pop out and reset the saucer shuttlebay as I had problems in getting it lie in flush to the saucer but I got that accomplished tonight this date.

As of yet, she has no name or number, other than I will use something from the Tech Manual numbering for Destroyers. Obviously, she's not far enough for painting or decalling. I will be using something from the various aftermarket sheets I have.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,335 Posts
Lookin' good, Barry! Looks like a Heavy Destroyer in the works. :thumbsup:

BTW, you got the Bussard "fin" and lower sensor array from me. There should've been two of the "fins", tho. The sensor array was from the old Lunar Models Refit Accurizing Kit #1. Also, those two forward sensor strips were originally labled as "Saucer Rim Deflectors" when Thomas Models originally released them, so if you want to continue to call them that you'd be set for a nav deflector. :)

I need to respond to your email and PM. Give me another day or so...?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff! HI!

Ah, thanks for the clarification!! I really had forgotten where those came from! While the bussard I suspected I had gotten from you; the resin lower sensor was a little more problematic. Where my confusion came in is that I got a small batch of parts from another friend when he 'gave up' on several Refit projects quite a few years ago. They came with a number of resin pieces, which I put all into one bag. I was unable to find the matching bussard when I was recently going through the parts bag deciding on what to add for this project. Chances are it slipped to somewhere else and if so, no biggie. I've got another Refit single engined ship planned; probably a "true" scout And the Saucer Rim Deflectors... I was hoping that's what they were! When I was looking at these (unbagged and loose, of course!) I had the feeling these were deflectors. That's really the only the only thing about any Tech Manual variant Refit based ships; they lose their deflectors!

Next up on this build is to trim the rear of the saucer to get the DLM accurate impulse engine installed to the saucer top before I can get to close up the saucer.

The dorsal weapons pod isn't really meant to be an active pod. I'm considering either blanking over the front or just leave the original kit part (and it's cruddy torpedo tube depiction) just as it is and painting the front appropriately. This project is close to being fully assembled, though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Made some good progress yesterday. I got the impulse engine to fit properly into place after cutting and filing the saucer as almost per instructions. :)

I got the engine attached to the dorsal and the megaphasers attached to the original engine pylon housing as well! Really, the only thing left to attach is the is the saucer top and Bridge module. But this is only will bring me to the next step: filling in the gaps that a modification like this brings. This includes the gaps on the dorsal pod underside where it joins the engine and the new impulse engine doesn't fit the space that the old stock engine left. I'm not sure why; this is the second such replacement I've done and the first one was better fitting than that! I guess I got a bit too enthusiastic in cleaning up the hole, I guess. It's not too bad, though. One of the mega phasers needs to be reset as it is sitting at a different angle than the other. Oops. Several new pics included here!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,680 Posts
Looking good. I like the torpedo pod and the pods under the engine.

Somewhere down in my basement I've got one half completed from one of my old AMT smoothies. You've inspired me to get back to work on it ... after the 87 kajillion other unifinished/unstarted kits I've got. :freak:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'm glad I inspired you to at least think about getting back to your version!! (I sure miss the Smoothy!)

I had a minor setback today. I successfully de-bonded the one mis-set megaphaser, but the engine snapped off while I was getting ready to work in some epoxy putty to strengthen the bond. Double oops! I will have to reset the engine again but this time secure the saucer down before attempting too much handling, which is what undid my efforts from yesterday. Just not enough glue area to hold the engine on securely enough.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top