Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Just wnated to post some pics of the scratch/bash I'm doing. It's a TOS version of the NX from Enterprise, almost a "What if..." the NX looked more like the "old girl".

Two shots to talk about. First is a shot after the struts were secured:
[url="http://planetmyhill.com/Modelmaster/PICS/EarlyNX/StrutsOn.jpg"]http://planetmyhill.com/Modelmaster/PICS/EarlyNX/StrutsOn.jpg[/url]
Heads on, you can see that I used the excitingly average 45 degree angle. Both the struts go through the booms (I cut a groove down the middle) & hold the sensor dish pod, which will have a dish on it. The overall proportions look pretty good, I think. Perhaps the pos is a smidge off. :eek:

[url="http://planetmyhill.com/Modelmaster/PICS/EarlyNX/MostlyDone.jpg"]http://planetmyhill.com/Modelmaster/PICS/EarlyNX/MostlyDone.jpg[/url]
Second shot is where I'm pretty much at right now. Nacelles are on, & you can see the piece I used from a digital camera for the bridge, lens & all! ;) The tube behind the bridge will be the shuttlebay- I just have to figure out a door! :D Since this pic, I also have added some spheres the fore & aft ends of the booms.
The only thing left to do in this pic (I've done most of the construction) is build the impulse engines. You can see the starting of them inside the booms on the aft of the saucer as small triangles. The surfaces are being constructed with grooved sheet.
Also a point of note is the front grill area on the nacelles that I covered with sheet to be more in design with the image I found.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Just what the NX-01 should of looked like. If they had one like yours then I could except the series. Looking good, keep updates, can't wait to see it finished.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys! :roll:
The impulse engines are finished, with the exception of the actual "exhaust", which will use another piece from the digital camera- the diffuser from the flash! It's grooved like regular sheet styrene & is just big enough when cut in half to use for both sides. Then it's on to primer!

Here's the image I'm working from:
http://planetmyhill.com/Modelmaster/PICS/EarlyNX/Render.jpg
The computer at work shows it real dark (where I'm at now), but fine at home. I found it a few years ago on another forum (most likely the TrekBBS) when Enterprise premiered & everyone was complaining about the NX. It was done by one of the members there & I always thought it'd be a neat scratch.
Best part is that the aztecking should be real easy! :lol:

·
Registered
311 Posts
The viewership of Enterprise would double if they would stick a secondary hull pod under the saucer like you are doing. Nice work!

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Call me lazy, or not.
But I still like the grey thermocoat on TOS E, so I guess that is one reason I build TOS ships. Azattacking a ship might look good but a pain. The PL refit will only look right that way so I am stuck.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
phicks said:
The viewership of Enterprise would double if they would stick a secondary hull pod under the saucer like you are doing. Nice work!
Thanks! :wave:

Lloyd Collins said:
Call me lazy, or not.
LAZY!!!! :p
Lloyd Collins said:
But I still like the grey thermocoat on TOS E, so I guess that is one reason I build TOS ships. Azattacking a ship might look good but a pain. The PL refit will only look right that way so I am stuck.
Yea, but that's kinda why I might try the simple large shapes that are on the render. It might give it just enough flair, but we'll see. I plan on painting it the light grey first- if I like it, it'll stay.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
it's not actually lazy. it's trying to stick to a budget. but it definitely is a more believable version as it is more in line with tos enterprise design.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jimmyd30 said:
it's not actually lazy. it's trying to stick to a budget.
I know the feeling, dude. And I was just playing. That's why I had the :p in there.

jimmyd30 said:
it definitely is a more believable version as it is more in line with tos enterprise design.
Thanks! :roll:

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Hey Prince! Awesome work on your model! I liked that you placed the dish below the saucer in a way that makes it look like the TOS E from the front. I'm also glad that the taper on the pylons is not as severe as in the drawing. Those were excellent improvements on the drawing. I toggled your seconf picture with the drawing and it's obvious you nailed it. Great job!

It seems like yesterday we were just talking about this... I'm glad you're putting your vision together. Please keep the pictures coming.

José

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
El Gato said:
Awesome work on your model! I liked that you placed the dish below the saucer in a way that makes it look like the TOS E from the front. I'm also glad that the taper on the pylons is not as severe as in the drawing. Those were excellent improvements on the drawing. I toggled your seconf picture with the drawing and it's obvious you nailed it. Great job!
Wow, thanks for all the great praise, El Gato! I'm sure trying my best! I want to get it done for a contest here in Mass that's on November 7th. Nighteagle & I are heading up there- it's a local IPMS contest & show. I'm also going to bring my USS Alexander & USS Jermaine Ellis. I'll be sure to let everyone know how the day was!

Hmmm... maybe I should get off the net & go build! :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts