Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally breached the 2000 post mark and to celebrate I figured I would post my latest addition to my collection.

I found this on Amazon and since I have two in the series already felt it calling my name.

F.D.N.Y Rescue 1, 1996 HME/Saulsbury by Code 3 Collectibles

THE FOLLOWING IS FROM THE CODE 3 COLLECTIBLES WEBSITE:

Rescue 1 was organized as the first rescue company in New York City on January 18th, 1915, and after intensive training to handle unusual conditions in firefighting. This elite unit was placed into service sharing the quarters of Engine 33 at 42 Great Jones Street, Manhattan on March 6th, 1915. Today, they are located in the former quarters of Engine 2 at 530 West 43rd Street.

On January 23rd, 1985, one of the most spectacular fires to occur in New York City took place adjacent to Rescue 1's quarters. This fire resulted in the collapse of the fire building into the quarters of Rescue 1. The end result was that their quarters was destroyed. On April 29th, 1989 a new firehouse on the same grounds opened. This firehouse was designed by the members of Rescue 1 and built specifically for a rescue company. The unique front apparatus door was saved and relocated to rear wall of the new firehouse. Anyone touring the neighborhood should make this a stop to see this firehouse.

Rescue 1 is a 1996 HME/Saulsbury and is equipped with a mounted 32ft. telescoping light tower, a 15 KW Electrical generator and a ten ton winch and a A frame hoist. They also carry other specialized rescue and scuba equipment. Each member of Rescue 1 have spent hours of specialized training in Rescue Operations. Rescue 1 along with Rescue's 2 and 5 are the Scuba rescue's. They respond not only to working fires but also to any type of water rescue operation.

There are five rescue companies located one in each borough of New York City and these elite units are trained and professional members of F.D.N.Y.

There is one captain and four Lieutenant's who supervise thirty firefighters that are assigned to Rescue 1.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Along with Rescue 1 I also own Rescue 3 and Rescue 5.

Here are pictures of the three of them together.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
F.D.N.Y. Rescue 3

Rescue 3 was organized on June 1st, 1931 in the Mott Haven section of the Bronx. They are now located in the Tremont section and they are quartered in the former firehouse of Engine 46 and Ladder 27. Rescue 3 is known as 'Big Blue' and 'The Building Collapse Unit.' Rescue 3 is a 1996 HME/Saulsbury and responds on all 10-75's (working fires) in the 12th, 13th, and 16th Battalions of Manhattan and the entire Bronx. However if a major building collapse occurs at any time in New York City Rescue 3 responds with the Collapse Unit which is stored in the next bay of the firehouse.

Rescue 3 is equipped with a mounted 32ft. telescoping light tower, a 15 KW Electrical generator, a ten ton winch and an A frame hoist. They also carry other specialized rescue and collapse equipment. There is also an inflatable boat stored in quarters. Each member of Rescue 3 have spent hours of specialized training in each borough of New York City and these elite units are trained and professional members of F.D.N.Y.

There is one Captain and three Lieutenant's who supervise thirty firefighters that are assigned to Rescue 3.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have F.D.N.Y. Rescue 5 also by Code 3 Collectibles

Rescue 5 was originally organized on May 16th, 1948. They were disbanded on June 1st, 1962 and reorganized on August 20th, 1984. They are located in the Concord section of Staten Island. Their firehouse is located 1850 Clove Road and they share these quarters with Engine 160 and Tactical Support Unit #2. Rescue 5 is known as 'Blue Thunder', operates a 1996 HME/Saulsbury and responds on all 10-75's (working fires) in Staten Island and certain parts of Brooklyn. They are a Scuba trained unit and a backup Hazmat Support Unit. Rescue 5 is equipped with a mounted 32ft telescoping light tower, a 15 KW Electrical generator and a ten ton winch and an A frame hoist. They also carry other specialized Scuba and Hazmat equipment. There is also an inflatable boat stored in quarters. Each member of Rescue 5 have spent hours of specialized training in Rescue Operations. There are five rescue companies located one in each borough of New York City and these elite units are trained and professional members of F.D.N.Y.

There is one Captain and three Lieutenants who supervise thirty firefighters that are assigned to Rescue 5.

As a side note and a little bit of history during certain times the F.D.N.Y. will put a sixth rescue unit on the streets. The last time that I know of was during the last Presidential Election Convention in New York. I will see if I can find a picture of the unit.

All three of these units were destroyed in the Twin Towers attack in 2001.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice trucks Dave! Thanks for the history, always interesting to read.

And Happy 2,001st. post! :thumbsup:

Thank you bro, a bit of interesting information, the one Rescue that I cannot find that Code 3 made is Rescue 2. One of the Lt.'s on the Squad was one of the most Highly decorated firefighters in the Department Lt. Richard Hamilton author of "20,000 Alarms" which is also one of my favorite firefighting books.

·
Premium Member
13,378 Posts
Congrats on 2000+ posts!

·
Registered
10,381 Posts
HoooRah!!!! Mr.2000 in the house!!!

Congrats Dave, or should I say Mr.2000th......Awesome Fire Trucks too!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts