Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

The TOUR has been put in a unique position that none of us expected to be in, regarding 1-cell batteries. Therefore we have taken a very bold stand in order to protect the racers to the largest degree possible, while still provide adequate manufacturer involvement and competition. Let me take you through the process:

· The TOUR was willing to accept the guidance of ROAR by adopting the ROAR approved battery list. ROAR had committed to changing its approval process from an “open” approval to a “bi-annual” approval such that Oct 1st and May 1st would represent the 2 dates that revised battery list would be available to the public. This list would not change for 6 months at a time, providing some stability in our industry, along with a degree of fairness to manufacturers allowing them to continue development of technology and put themselves into a better competitive position every 6 months. It was a good compromise, and allowed us (the TOUR) to maintain consistency with ROAR and thus, consistency with the rest of the R/C world.
· On Thursday August 27th, we were notified that ROAR was abandoning this process, 5 days before the submission deadline of September 1st, and returning to an “open” approval process. This will allow manufacturers to submit products for approval at any time throughout the year, until May, when ROAR says they will then begin the “bi-annual” approval process.

The TOUR respects ROAR’s right to make this change due to manufacturing and shipping delays in the over sea’s market, but we as an organization can not tolerate the effect this will have on Oval Racing. The oval racers have asked for stability throughout a given racing season, with regard to batteries. The TOUR has pledged to provide leadership and direction. Though we strive to maintain consistency with ROAR and the rest of the R/C world, this is one area where the TOUR will respectfully differ and set its own standards. Here is what we intend to do:

· The TOUR will compile a list of “TOUR Approved” batteries over the next 2 weeks and post this list as an update to the TOUR rules. This will be the only batteries legal for use, under TOUR rules, until May of 2010.
· We will compile this list by contacting manufacturers directly, reviewing their specifications and listing their products by part number. This will result in a list of current products and/or products within a few weeks of release and effectively lock the battery list for over 6 months.
· This provides complete inclusion of all manufacturers willing to participate and prevents the “November Surprise” or “January Surprise”. Racers can be assured that this battery list will be frozen until May of 2010.
· All batteries on this list will meet ROAR’s design specifications, which the TOUR is in full agreement with.

I would ask that you, as racers, do 2 things. First, get in touch with your sponsors. If they have a battery that they intend to release for this season, please make sure they contact us. We have a very good idea who the major players are and what they have available, but, to be certain, make sure they contact us. Secondly, we realize some folks have questions, concerns, and ideas that they do not want subject to a public discussion forum. Please feel free to contact Allan or I by email. [email protected] or [email protected] .

This has been the most difficult obstacle to date. We, unfortunately, have no control over a large sanctioning body changing the rules of its approval process. We do, however, understand the needs of the oval racing community and intend to serve that cause first and foremost. I’ll try to check in most of the weekend to provide clarification. Let’s keep the discussion peaceful and intelligent. Thanks for all of the support.

Steve

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Siggy,

I gotta hand it to ya......your an equal opportunity butt kicker!! LOL You give me just as many props as you do digs. Thats fair. No one can argue with that. Thanks for the vote of confidence!! Take care.

Steve

·
Registered
901 Posts
That was a good comment for you guys im glad ROAR is out of here and happy to see the new dates for the Battery deal good job to the TOUR!!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
steve, it is great the TOUR is looking out for us. this is exactly what we need in oval.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Sounds good guys, I'm going to adopt your position on batteries for the coming season for the SK class rules that I'm drafting

-Eric Dimmick
Darkside Motorsports
KSKT Racing Products

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Thanks Erik, we just felt like that was one of our strongest points and had recieved so much support because of it. I see ROAR's point, that was how they did the 2 cell, last year. But we did not feel that was the best thing for Oval unity. Thanks Again.

Allan A

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
gotta love roar! bassackwards at all times!

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Your stance on this problem shows good leadership for the Oval community.

Now if you can get someone to hold classes on how to use the new R5 front-end I am working on.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Excellent decision guys! This is exactly what I was suggesting all along and I am glad that you guys made the decision to move on it.

--Cory

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
now thats taking the bull by the horns... or taking a lamb by it's.... well, nevermind.
what i'm trying to say is great job and way to stick it to em!!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks

Guys,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the support on this. Cory........LMAO!!! I've been to the hills of PA so I get the joke!! LOL Priceless!!

Here is my recomendation based on the very limited info I've received so far on batteries. Wait till I have the list done before buying a bunch of anything. That way, there will be no surprises. There will be a few new things on the list, most likely, but the science behind the TP 40C and the SMC 50C represents the max we can get out of the current technology. They both perform very close, and the "C" rating is as much marketing as anything. Also, don't be too quick to discard anything you've already bought. It may be very tough to tell the difference between any of these packs on the track. This is a very stable technology and very equal.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Steve

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
steve is roar just approving the 1 cell lipo packs all year long...or is it all lipo batteries 1 cell and 2 cell?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Katfish,

I don't know. Mike B. got the official notice from ROAR but he was unclear on that issue as well. The justification that ROAR gave me was due to shipping delays from oversea's, specifically with regard to 1-cell packs. But I don't know if they made a blanket rule for all battery approvals. My guess is that they will apply this "open season" to all batteries.

That's why we had to make a move to get things under control. Thanks for the support (and the humor) throughout the process [the "I bumped my toe...I blame the TOUR" post was hilarious]

Steve

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
i had to make up for some of my whining and crying ya know lol. i'll be quiet i swear.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
i had to make up for some of my whining and crying ya know lol. i'll be quiet i swear.
cory, it this reason alone that we need to support the TOUR rules package.
take it or leave it.:hat:
i love COTs'

1 - 20 of 64 Posts