Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My computer's a POS. Do yourselves a favor a don't buy an HP.

My CD/DVD drive is down again.

I'm sorry to everyone who's expressed an interest in them. I'm sorry to have disappointed anyone.

Henry (g_xii), I did get to burning your's

I did manage to burn a couple before it befouled the bed. That's as polite as I'm gonna be.

Shame I can't set up some kind of FTP server or something...Maybe a spare photobucket account. Nah, it resizes the images. Any thoughts on that?

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
okay, there's hope. It's not doing the exact same thing. It's just telling me to put in a cd every time I put in a blank one indicating it's not recognizing there's on in there. It does however recognize a DVD in there. I just put in Resident Evil and it started to play.

All is not lost...

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HA!

Mike - 1
Computer - 0

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought by downloading a 2nd party program, I could use it as a workaround.

This is really kicking my butt.

See, this is what I get for trying to do something nice, it always comes back to bite me and then I come across as looking like an a-hole because I'm so overwhelmed by trying to make it right.

That's it, no more freebies for anyone, no more playing Mr. Nice Guy.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Sounds to me like you're having a conflict in your apps. While there are some great 3d party apps out there, many of them won't work if you already have a similar app on your computer. Nero, for instance, has an app in their suite called InCD or something like that. By installing InCD, you're guaranteed that nothing will burn properly on your computer ever again. Seriously. Even apps that do different things will screw up a computer. My favorite computer magazine, Maximum PC loves a desktop search engine called Copernic. I have to admit, it's great. It can find things on my computer I thought long lost. They also love Firefox. Who doesn't? But then I noticed that I couldn't post or edit anything on Hobbytalk. Searching Firefox forums led me to the Firefox tech site's answers: Firefox often won't close properly if you have Copernic or Cool Iris or any number of very cool apps installed on your computer, tho some don't seem to have anything to do with browsing at all.
So check and make sure that you only have HPs burning software or a burning software that you know works and get rid of all the others.
Also, make sure your media is compatible with your HP burner. Some brands may not be. I use Verbatim exclusively. Last month I ran out and resorted to some Fuji disks that someone had given me and my burner produced nothing but coasters. Restocked my Verbatim and it worked perfectly again. You'd think that brands with names like Fuji and Memorex would be serious media but on any burning forum you'll find they're considered utter crap. The brands that you've never heard of, they're the Cds and DVDs that (if they do burn) have a life expectancy of as little as 2 years before they dissolve, along with all your info.
So check for program conflicts.
Check your media. Use a Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden (if you can find them). Nothing else.
And make sure you've uninstalled all your previous versions of all your versions of burning software before you install (or reinstall) your new burning software.
Good luck. Hope you get this sorted out so you can get back to the important things in life: like modeling.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
even third party apps are freezing when I try to use them.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I

AM

TRIUMPHANT

It was iTunes. They forcibly installed an update which caused conflicts. Booya! Oh yeah, and crappy disks. Lightscribe for everyone!

Everyone does have a DVD ROM drive to read these, right? Do you need a DVD drive to read jpgs on a DVD disk?

·
Registered
983 Posts
I

AM

TRIUMPHANT

It was iTunes. They forcibly installed an update which caused conflicts. Booya! Oh yeah, and crappy disks. Lightscribe for everyone!

Everyone does have a DVD ROM drive to read these, right? Do you need a DVD drive to read jpgs on a DVD disk?
Apologies to HP? I own three and have never had any problems (that I did not induce) with them.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I

AM

TRIUMPHANT

It has to be an optical drive capable of reading DVD format disks. Most modern optical drives these days can read/write either DVD or CD format.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I suppose. Yeah, that's in order. They didn't hear me though.

'cides, I was writing in anger and fighting sleepiness.

I'm also embarrassed to say that I had DVD+R's. I needed DVD-R's

·
Registered
286 Posts
I suppose. Yeah, that's in order. They didn't hear me though.

'cides, I was writing in anger and fighting sleepiness.

I'm also embarrassed to say that I had DVD+R's. I needed DVD-R's
It should be able to burn either. DVD-R is just an older format. Many people prefer the + format for technical reasons. Unless the manual that came with your PC says otherwise, you should be able to use +R's.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
everything ships tomorrow

(I get the car on Tuesdays)

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
all sent. Strangely, some weighed more than others while using the same exact envelope, jewel case and CD.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Must be all that info that you are providing.;)
Thanks in advance!
-Jim

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just fear that it's nothing you all haven't seen before. The organization is good though.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
anyone get theirs?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts