Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, totally new to this, we have a 2 1/2 year old son and have started collecting hot wheels for him, which is great fun (for him AND us). Just picked up a 2006 collectors kit for xmas which includes 20 cars. One which was included in the 2006 series was the 1957 Chevy but the date I've got on it is 1976...

So I'm just confused... Do Mattel send out old cars in these kits or is the one I have a new one but if it's new then why does it say 1976, does this mean it's vintage, or what? How does it all work?

Looking forward to someone helping us work this all out. :)
Happy New Year!!

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Welcome aboard, chicabonita! The date on the bottom is the date the casting was originally produced. The 57 Chevy was originally issued in 1976. There are a few others that have been around since 1969, like the Chevy Nomad casting. Always beware of ads that state "vintage" or from year XXXX. Alot of unscrupulous sellers will try to take advantage of new collectors. Be sure to do your homework if you ever get into buying older cars. :thumbsup:

·
senile old cajun
1,276 Posts
welcome to the boards,if yer collecting ya might want to get ya a tomarts guide to hot wheels it has the prices in it and descriptions of the cars good luck an happy hunting ttfn johnny ps might i sugest ya start inventorying yer collection before it gets away from ya :cool:

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
Hello! Also use Lee's toy review which is readily available at barnes and nobles in the magazine section to keep up with upcoming releases in hotwheels and other collectibles!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent, thanks everyone for all your help, much appreciated. So how does one get a proper sense of when these cars were actually produced? i.e. how can you tell the older ones from the newer ones? I ask because I found an older looking stingray corvette at a garage sale (dated 1969 (from memory) on the bottom).

Cool, thanks again! :)

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
warmans guide to hotwheels has SOME castings, but is full of pictures! check your bookstore of course ebay or just post a pic on hobbytalk! We will be happy to help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts