Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not brand new to the model industry, but I'm not a pro by any means. I just wanted some help answering these questions (mainly about painting), so bear with me.

Okay, so this is what I know.

2-3 coats of primer. (I have tamiya spray primer)
2-3 coats of paint. (I will be using Vallejo or Humbrol Acrylics, DISCLAMIR: I will be investing in an air brush, but for now I will be hand painting so please don't tell me to airbrush!)
2 coats of clear coat. (I don't know what brand to use)
Apply decals.
1 coat of clear coat. (Again I don't know what brand to use)
Washes and filters. (Don't know what brand to use)
That coat of matte clear stuff?? (Don't know what brand to use)
Pigments. (Don't know what brand to use)

So these are my questions:
Would you recommend priming every piece, and if so, do I use the same brand as the paint?
How long do I wait between coats (primer, paint, etc.)
How do I know how much to thin the paint, and do I use alcohol, water, or name brand thinners?
What is the difference between washes and filters, and how would I apply them on my model?
I was watching weathering techniques and the guy used enamel thinners for applying pigments (on acrylic paint), so do I need to do that, or how would I do that?

Guys I'm sorry for the long rant, but help would be much appreciated. If I'm wrong on my steps please tell me! I'm 16 years old and would like to begin this hobby. I'm interested in modern day armor (MRAPS, Buffalos, Blackhawks, Apaches, Bradleys, Abrams, etc.), not planes. Some WW2 armor/planes, but not much. I enjoy my generations armor, and I love American armor! I very much do appreciate other countries armor/planes (especially Russia and Germany), but I just enjoy American armor, it looks bad ass and performs bad ass. Any help would be great and very much needed. Techniques would also be appreciated. Sorry again, but I'm lost and need to be found!

Thanks, Jared!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts