Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were to start an entirely new diecast collection all over again, from scratch, no models whatsoever, what would you do differently from what you are now doing with your current collection?

For instance:
Would you concentrate on just one scale solely?

Would you specialize in collecting just one brand of diecast only?

Would you collect one single make of automobile? Fords, GMs, or MoPars only? Europeans? Asians? Others?

Would you change your collection objectives radically? Just for fun? Just for profit? Just for quality? Just for quantity?

Thanks for sharing!

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
I wouldn't change anything. I collect what I like, no matter who makes it or what someone says it is worth :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
About the only thing I would change is collecting only what I like instead of trying to collect a whole series or ugly chase cars !!!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Kind of hard to say...Yeah, I was one of those that had to collect every car in each series of Johnny Lightnings, and now I have tubs of cars laying around. However, I had so much fun tracking them down back then, I can't really say I'd do things differently there. I also know I paid too much for my Matchbox Collectibles 1/43 cars, but they are still among my favorites, and I never tire of looking at them. I'm sure there are a few cars that I could probably do without, but all in all, I'd probably do things the same way all over again. I like my stuff.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wouldn't change anything either. Like already said, I collect what I like, from any vendor. I open it all. My only regret was getting wrapped up in Hotwheels in the mid-90s. I am cured now. I almost never buy their stuff. I am also a 9 year recovered E-Bay-aholic. If I find it, then it was meant to be. No more hunting and driving myself insane. I enjoy the diecast cars now as I did when I was a child.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Im with you namdor91, i regret buying hotwheels. Ive sold or given away every one i ever had. Now my collection doesnt have a single HW in it. Its mostly greenlight with a few select JL and M2 peices

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Good ques:

I think I would of focused more on getting the 1/18 over the 1/64
as yes the 1/64 Cars you get more for your buck but you have to
find more space for them to store over the 1/18 or even the 1/24
Cars....+....The BIGGER they are the better details you get.

Oh and can't forget them HW Redlines ....Wish I bought them in 2's

1 Open and played with
1 Sealed for a early Retirement ..lol

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
I only wish that i had focused on 1/43 and 1/64 brfore accumulating so many 1/24's. The 1/24's are pretty much all packed away in the attic now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I pretty much did that. I only collect the Chevy Vega, all scales,
all manufacturers, even slotcars.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I wish I would have focused more on redlines than mainlines back in the mid-90s. I might have gotten them cheaper but with todays economy I have found many bargains.

If I had to start over today... No Nascar but concentrate on older stuff with redlines & Matchbox. Go with todays GL, JL, M2. The newer HW's seem like kiddie cars lately. :(

·
Registered
673 Posts
I don't think I'd change anything. I wish I had more space, but that only changes what I have displayed at any particular moment - not what I have collected.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
about the only thing I would change in my entire collection,
would be to pass on all the 1/18 stuff I have collected over the years.
while they are pretty cool, and I enjoy them, the space it takes to store all of them could be put to better use.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Like CJ , I would probably eliminate most of the 1/18 . They are cool , but take up lots of room .. Also would of stayed away from the Racing Champions stuff from 10 years ago - except for select Mint Edition cars ..

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Like CJ , I would probably eliminate most of the 1/18 . They are cool , but take up lots of room .. Also would of stayed away from the Racing Champions stuff from 10 years ago - except for select Mint Edition cars ..
I still like the Racing Champs "Stock Rods" & "Hot Rod Magazine" cars. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
For me I think I would have started an Inventory List right after the 1st 20 cars and kept it up. Since I have not done so, It does make it difficult to find that specific car or to know if I even have it.
Richard

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Like others have said, I would have been more focused. My collection strategy was much too broad when I started. That, and buying MIP Redlines when they were cheap would have been another good idea...

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
Hard to say what I would do different as my collection is ever evolving
Luckily I have always stayed in 1/64 scale but these are changes I have done so far in my collection
1. Only Fords
2. Added other make JL and Ertl, 100% HW to collection
3. Added HW and MB mainlines
4. Added Jada and Maisto
5. Collected all releases of above available cars
6. Started collecting castings from other countries
7. Looked one day at 10 different 69 JL Dodge Darts and wondered why
8. Thinned out collection so that I had only one sample of each casting dependent on features (ie. different hoods striping, etc.)
9. Added all other brands to collection even if detail was off (ie. Muky, Buby)
10. Eliminated different years of cars if they look exactly the same( ie. JL C6 Corvettes with different years listed).
11. Eliminated Trucks from collection
12. Eliminated police cars from collection
13. Eliminated spoilers and BWF cars from collection

So my collection continues to this day to be in a state of flux. I am not sure where I will go next.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts