Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Granted

Granted Hudy makes the best, but what else is out there? I see other truers like that but who makes them and where can you purchase them.......:dude:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Thanks

Thanks James, Just some options for a poor working man that don't have $550 extra in the race acct. Have you used any of these?........:dude:

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
I have used the Ofna, Integy, RD Logistics and many other non-automatics. Looks like Integy's automatic truer is discontinued, although there are many around (probably the most of anything here in the US). For many years, the Integy was the best bang for the buck. Integy now offers the 3Racing truer.

I own the Hudy Automatic. In a perfect world, I'd take the Hudy truer with Integy's cutter controller for the <-left and right -> action. Integy's left/right action ranges from slow to very fast with a nice turn dial for speed control. However, I do not like the depth gauge on the Integy. Spins way too easy and can be bumped out of your desired depth without noticing.

The Hudy is the best for power and the the motor shaft has zero slop. The Hudy spins the tire faster and stronger than anything on the market that I've seen. You wouldn't want it any faster or else the tire would balloon out or off the rim. In fact, weak 20 amp power supplies won't even start it because the Hudy motor draws so many amps at the startup! It makes for a better cut because each part of the tire passes the cutter more often. Most other truers spinning speed is slow in comparison, and to do it right, you have to really go slow with the cutter speed. Most of us don't have the patience for it. So the cuts on the other machines are generally rougher than the Hudy. The Hudy gets the job done faster because it takes less passes, plus it has the horsepower to cut deeper passes without slowing down much.

I am surprised by how many people true tires that are "good enough" in their opinion. They are so rough that you can see the difference and they have to do laps to break them in. When I am done truing my tires on the Hudy, you cannot tell the difference between a tire that has been raced for a few times and my freshly trued tires. They look just as smooth. I don't need to to any break-in laps.

Whatever you choose, I recommend this type of carbide cutter bit:

It's no doubt that the above style cuts better than the stock hacksaw blades, and in my opinion they cut even better than the style shown below (probably because the teeth are flat and no bit of foam escapes):

Also in my perfect world, I would like to have the built in rounders like the Kyosho has:

I have done extensive testing with arbors. I've tried just about everything available. (Although to be fair, I have not tried CRC's new arbor) Regardless of the truer you buy, I would recommend Hudy arbors. Yes, I know the stepped ones are convenient, but they do not cut as true. The Hudy arbors (separate front and rear) are a much tighter fit. It actually takes effort to get the tires on and off the arbor. My fingertips will be sore from a tire truing session. No slop, holds tightly, and the cut is perfect. It's worth the effort to swap the front and rear Hudy arbors vs. an all-in-one stepped arbor.

Tire truers don't go outdated as fast as other things. Get a good one.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Thanks again.

Thanks again James, lots of good info, I've been looking to get a new one although my 7 yr old ac cobra truer don't do anything wrong, it's big and noisy.............:dude:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Truer 650, Arbor 52, Bit 50, Shipping 20...Total $772--WOW

Or use trackdog's for just the price of him whining. I will not be buying one this week.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
This cracks me up every time I see it:
[YouTube Video]
I especially love the speed he chose!
I remember doing similar WAY BACK 25 years or so ago when we first tried FOAMS on the Dirt Oval locally - (It SUCKED)

Nobody local knew how to MOUNT Donuts either - (This was on the 3 piece RC10 Buggy Wheels) #gotsuperglue!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Last winter my brother and I split the cost of a new Integy Auto truer w/ a CRC cutting head and sanding bar. (Everything bought at CRC's Hobby Shop in Rome, NY)
I'm new to this (1 year) but it cuts both carpet oval and dirt oval tires with ease. Very happy with it so far.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I have an Ofna and have been pleased with how it works. It was a bit more than the integy, but has a lot more HP than the Integy. After using an Integy, I would not buy one. I would like a hudy, but not ready to spend the $$ yet.
I do have a Hudy slot car tire truer which is pretty cool, it has a rotating carbide drum to flatten the tires. Too bad they dont make a larger size version for RC tires.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have used them all and the hudy out last them from what I have seen. I think this is my seventh year of running carpet and I know two people that still use there same hudy cutting tires and I have bought four others since my last purchase which was a hudy. Keep looking on the for sale forum found one for half price and it looks better then new.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have one for sale in the Swap and Sale section if you are interested. It is the Fully Automatic model. I am selling it because I have 2.

Antonio

1 - 20 of 25 Posts