Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...how long do you estimate it would take you to build the existing unbuilt kits in your stash to your satisfaction?

My own stash is modest by many other's standards here, yet by my estimate, I'd have my hands full for nearly 3 years.:freak:

How about YOU?

·
Registered
319 Posts
When I get started I estimate it would take about 10 years to finish my collection to the standard I have seen here.

·
Registered
114 Posts
With or without accounting for time spent in gainful employment and family related stuff?

My wife doesn't think it can be done.

:freak:

Mark in Okinawa

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
With?

Well maybe 10-12 years.

If you include my Prop replica's and model rockets add another 5-7 years.

But once I retire (If I make it) things will speed up. Take off maybe 3 years.

But we all know I won't stop adding to my stash! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'd say 8 to 16 years. After I finish my Round 2 18" Enterprise, I have my original 1966 AMT Enterprise, a Polar Lights Jupiter 2 (which I've had for more than 10 years) and the Round 2 1/2500 Enterprise set (1701, 1701-A and 1701-B). Plus I have the start of a 22 inch Enterprise which I had planned on making into a replica of the 11 foot model (I was going to buy another 22 inch kit for the rest of the parts, but I could actually do it using parts from my Constellation test model).

The thing is... I don't build a lot of models, and when I do I take forever on them.

Of course it helps if I'm really inspired (my second two-thirds scale 33 inch Enterprise took about 9 months from start to finish), but the only project that would inspire me to that level is still in the early-early development stages (but I have a lot of hope that it'll come through).

·
Curmudgeon
6,601 Posts
For the sake of argument, let's say I have 500 kits in my stash (I've never counted them, but I'm sure I have more than that). Assuming I'd still be able to build kits until the day I die, and assuming I'll die at the age of 90 (yeah, right), if I were to build one kit a month every month for the rest of my life, I'd build my last kit approximately three years after I'm dead. :D

·
Oxidation Genius
31,237 Posts
I haven't taken inventory lately, but last time I did I had 1200 kits. Say 1500 now. I build roughly one a month*. So I need another 125 years to build them all. I'll be 180 years old when I'm done.

*I'm a little ahead this year - I've built 13 models already, with 4 months to go!

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
I haven't taken inventory lately, but last time I did I had 1200 kits. Say 1500 now. I build roughly one a month*. So I need another 125 years to build them all. I'll be 180 years old when I'm done.

*I'm a little ahead this year - I've built 13 models already, with 4 months to go!
I wish you an ultra long life with keen eye sight and a steady hand!

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
If I managed to keep up with my desired build rate of about 2 kits a month it would be over 12 years to work through my stash! I will bequeath all my unbuilt and built kits to my two sons when I reach the end. Hopefully I can put a serious dent in the stash though if Frank and Round 2 stop putting out so many great products.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts