Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you think they would correct the bed knob-like nacelle ends like they did with the raised grid lines on the 1/650(ish) TOS Enterprise? Oh and maybe throw in a plasma torpedo emitter?

Round 2, you listening? :wave:

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I've never had the kit to build.
I didn't know there was a kit for it until I read about it on HobbyTalk.

So, for me, having Round 2 re-issue the kit at all is good enough!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
After looking at my AMT RBOP and the SFSM one... the AMT one certainly suffers in the comparison. It would have been so much better if it actually matched the original mini more. I don't have the 1/350 one but from what I've seen, it's a beautiful model; very accurate.

Those ball caps can be replaced with plastic domes, I'm sure. I'm more concerned that the hull edge is so slab-sided and lacks the elegant grace of the filming mini. Still, the basic shape is there. it would take a lot of work to fix the kit to make it look better. My own AMT kit has had it's ball shaped caps long gone, it's in pieces (but complete otherwise) and needs a new bird decal. Some day.....

Still, if we can dream... why not?!? It's a kit that hasn't been seen for a LONG time!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
That was a thrilling kit to get as a kid, when we had no idea in advance whether or what new Trek kits were coming out--I'm pretty sure the Bird of Prey and K-7 were the first injection-molded model kits made for a TV show that had gone off the air.

It's an awfully inaccurate kit though. Obviously plans (and the miniature itself) were just not available to AMT for study and they winged it, no pun intended. They did do a nice job of reproducing the bird decal which must have been challenging in itself. At that point sci fi models were more or less toys and real accuracy just wasn't as big a concern--the idea was they were being done for kids.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts