Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's something to ponder over the coming week.

If space and money were no object, you could invest whatever was needed into building a replica of a real world track, it has to be a major track that is currently raced on in a nationally ranked series, which track would you do?

Remember, it has to be an active track in Indy, Formula 1, Sports Cars, NASCAR, V8 Super Cars, anywhere world wide. And I'm talking about a faithful SCALE distance, layout and elevation changes. You have all the space you need and a Lowe's card with no spending limit.

Link to it if you can, I'm just interested in seeing what others like.

My choice, now as always, Mazda Laguna Seca Speedway, current configuration.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Eldora, Knoxville, & Williams Grove. Using REAL dirt from the respective tracks. Using just a routed slot & rails with the dirt filling the space between them, oiled, packed & rolled! THAT's my dream basement.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I like the way you think John. Your never afraid to push the envelope. A track like that would be a killer. very inovative.

Gonzo

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm floored. I never would have thought of something as cool as that.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Gonzo, SOMEDAY I will build one. Maybe not too big the first time, just to see what the bugs are. It's been done for 1/24th scale cars with a modeling clay that doesn't harden & from the pictures that I saw it seems to work pretty good. Using real dirt might be a bit more of a challenge, but the clay from Attica, Limaland, & Eldora is hard as a rock when dry so if you get it smooth & not too wet it should work fine. I would think that the slots would need to be deeper though just to compensate for anything that might get in there. I have some major plans to redo the basement tracks in the next couple years & after that, this is next on the "to do list" :)

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Pete, I was floored when I saw the pictures of your track with the banked turns that you did. I'd like to pick your brain in detail on how you did that, heating the track, etc. It looked perfect. Not too much banking like the normal banked track sections. Just enough.
....but yea, I've wanted to try this thing with the dirt for 20 years or so. It's slowly moving up on the "todo" list. Hope that all is going good with you.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to dig up and repost the rig I used for Sequoia. Heating was with a blow dryer, bending the rails was with a jewelers hammer with a plastic head, but getting it to stay in the position while it cooled was the trick. After I did that I did find an easier way to do it but never got to try it out. Sequoia's turns were banked at 10 degrees, the same as the track is was patterend after. Someday I'll have to tell you about the screen roller I made that when heated makes either cobblestone or brick lines on a plastic track. That was interesting once you got it right.

Dirt sounds good, you'd have to sift it pretty good to get "scale" dirt but I can imagine a Road Race Replica's water truck that holds about 2 ounces of water going around, spraying the track.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
hrm...if space and money were no object....I'd have a 1 to 1 size Mid Ohio in my back yard....(It would be cheaper to move my house there)...

I did do Mid Ohio track in 4 lane Tyco a while back..filled up a 2 1/2 car garage.....it's a good track layout even for HO's...lots of elevation changes...

Walkers Glen reduex is great for a pure racing venue.....but it lacks a realistic real world type of feel...

I would say something along the lines of Portugal in a playroom...

http://www.f1specialties.com/main/racetrack/racetrack.html

But I cant imagine needing 15 people to marshal a two man race...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think that if you guys actually built a true scale raceway that you'd be disappointed. I've raced on some really huge tracks with 30+ ft straights, and I couldn't see the far reaches of the track well enough to hit my braking points. IMO, 6' X 20' is about the max size for an HO track. However, I must admit, I WOULD like to run some laps on a scale Laguna Seca, or Road America. I'd just have to slow down when the car got too far away.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
oops!

My table is 9'x26'. I still wish I had room for a larger table. The biggest problem of a scale track would be, who is going to crawl across to the middle of the table to marshal or put a car back in the slot...:lol:

Seriously, as long as I could landscape in scale also, I would love to do a scale Long Beach, or Montreal. Those are my favs!!!!
4-lane Brad Bowman, of course.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
The big tracks will take a little hot lap session, but you do learn the track just like any other. Back in the 90's Chuck's Race Place had a 28 X 8 layout, running from unlimiteds to magnatractions. You learn where your points are. I raced the 24 hrs in Derby England in '96 8 lanes with an 80 ft straight.......my first hot lap I let off three times before I got to the turn at the end!....but you do learn the track just like any other. Brad (Brad's Tracks) has section by section redone the entire LeMans layout in custom built track, eliminating all of the plastic track. & I'm hoping to get back & run it again one of these years. BUT those big tracks NEED lots of marshals to work.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The biggest HO track I've ever run on was a 30 X 8 at a buddy's house, 4 lane and it was all the old Model Motoring track. It was 2K scale distance per lap, about a mile and a quarter, and very rough. But we raced Cobalt and later Neo cars on it until the guy moved and broke it all up. When I was about 6 or 7 I remember a big 1/24th scale track at a truck stop north of San Antonio, my oldest brother raced a Cox car there a few times and had me marshaling the cars I could reach. That track was huge, maybe 24 X 16, with cut outs in the middle to stick your head up through.

My Laguna Seca wasn't that big at 6 X 6, but there were only 2 of us able to drive clean laps with T-Jets. Everyone hated that track except Yoshi and myself.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I think that if you guys actually built a true scale raceway that you'd be disappointed. I've raced on some really huge tracks with 30+ ft straights, and I couldn't see the far reaches of the track well enough to hit my braking points. IMO, 6' X 20' is about the max size for an HO track. However, I must admit, I WOULD like to run some laps on a scale Laguna Seca, or Road America. I'd just have to slow down when the car got too far away.
One of our club tracks has a 30' back straight...not a problem....even in the dark...

My new table is 5 x 24 and would be longer if I had the room...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Let's see. No $$$ worries, forget about marshalling, etc. I'd pick Nurburgring. Maybe a condensed version with the key elements. Landscaping would be awesome.
Something raceable, I would have to pick Road America, Leguna Seca or LeMans.
Jim

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Watkins Glen, all decked out in fall colors of course with full scenery and to-scale elevation changes. I'm good to about 30 feet so that would be the hard limit on size. I'd probably dump an extraordinary amount into the scenery and race management system.

·
Banned
2,472 Posts
5 lane routed, fully to scale in all directions, fully landscaped HO version of Brands Hatch long track, Circa 1986.

Plus the full grid of cars on Mega-G chassis of course!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts