Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And dealing with the fact that I will have to just collect the classics and 100% cars and black box series. What a Loss of such good work. If I was Tom I would be Totally Pi$$ed at RC2 for ruining what he worked so hard to do.I know I am agervated about it all.I don't know about the rest of you but I enjoy my cars and so do my kids.I would hate to see them just disapear in the mist of things.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
I wouldn't stress out right now. Nothing is for certain

·
Registered
40 Posts
go to matchbox...they are much better than ColdWheels. i don't think JL is going away. those cars are carrying the RC2 if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
When I joined the HobbyTalk community in July 2001, there was plenty of talk about all the things Tom Lowe was doing wrong. There was speculation for years about Playing Mantis going broke, and the demise of Johnny Lightning was always just around the corner. During all this time, I seen the quality improve and my collection continued to grow. I somehow managed to enjoy the hobby, although many others always seemed so upset about various matters. Even after Tom sold PM to RC2, I retained my interest and enthusiasm about JL's. And despite all of the recent criticism of RC2, I still find pleasure in each new addition to my JL collection. I think many of the cars released since the re-launch are some of the best produced so far. I hope things continue as they have the last few months. I buy JL's simply because I like them and appreciate the details.

I have no idea about what the future holds for Johnny Lightning. But I can assure you this, I will continue to enjoy the hobby either way.

I apologize for the duplicate post, I found this thread after posting the above in another and thought my thoughts were appropriate for this thread too

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
I'm on Bobby's side, I still enjoy each car I add to my collection. If it's JL or GL or HWs, I like them all. I would hate to see JLs go under, but it will not curb my collecting habits.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I'm not really sure what I would do. I don't see me just switching to another brand, I didn't get into this just to collect "things". It was the oddball cars that JL came out with, that nobody else seemed to be thinking of making, that got me hooked. I would still pick up a stray car now and then, whenever something appealed to me. but I wouldn't be out on a mission.
Honestly, I've been wondering about this quite a bit lately. As nice as the new Lightnings are, there hasn't been as much new and unusual stuff as there used to be, so I haven't been buying as much. I'm thinking I should dedicate more of my time and money back towards my trains, and get cracking on that dream layout I've always wanted. Besides, there's all sorts of 1/87 cars that I don't have yet. :D

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
As allways the thing that will most affect my collecting habits will be my income and space for the collection.

·
2011 VW NB Final Edition
2,031 Posts
GeraldE61 said:
I'm on Bobby's side, I still enjoy each car I add to my collection. If it's JL or GL or HWs, I like them all. I would hate to see JLs go under, but it will not curb my collecting habits.

You are correct. Since there has been a distribution problem with JL I have started to look back at the HW's and MB's. I buy what I like. I buy what I can find. The OLD's are always there.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I'm still hoping for the best. Still plenty of older releases to keep me going for a long time. And Greenlight is stepping up to the plate, and doing a nice job I should add!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I'll still buy what I like. This just means I'll be buying less in volume of JL than before. Besides, with Matchbox raising their standards in the last two years, I can now buy more of those than before. You have to remember that Johnny Lightning collectors have some of the most various tastes in collecting diecast. We don't all collect JL exclusivley, but also GL, HW, MB, yatming, Tomica, Motormax ect. That is one reason why I am proud to be a member of this board as of a result of this diversity.

My two cents on the subject

Zach

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never said I would quit buying JLs, I just said That I would go back to collecting Hot Wheels with all the nice cars they are making in the classics and the others that cost about the same as JLs. I will always collect what I like. I'm with you on this Bobby and Gerald. I just think its a shame for such a great diecast car company to be going thru all this red tape crap. Tom did a good job with Praying Mantis and when I heard that they were bought out By RC2 I didn't fret none I continued to buy them.I just hope all this is just a hoaks and RC2 pulls thru. If Not then I would like to see Praying Mantis and Tom Lowe take it back over. Either way I will continue to collect both Jls and Hot Wheels, and I do buy MBs every so often.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
montegogt said:
As allways the thing that will most affect my collecting habits will be my income and space for the collection.
Couldnt agree more! of course, I wish the space wasnt so much a factor!!

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I think the line will continue, if not from one company, then another. They are just too nice not to.

The way my collecting has taken a dip over recent years, there's a lot out there in older JL's for me to catch up on. If I had to buy something else, I see a lot of nice cars out there...not quite JL's, but I would continue to buy the ones that caught my eye.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I supported Racing Champions by buying their products since they began. I thought all would be well even after the NASCAR line was dropped. RC2 now owned Playing Mantis so I expected very cool things to follow. Now there's talk of this! I've also been collecting HWs for quite a while so I guess If they discontinue JLs I'll concentrate on the TH variations I still need and get over it. Been a great ride - Hope it isn't over! If it is - Thanks for the good times!!!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I talked to a couple of good friends of mine at two different TRU and they both said NO MORE JL are coming in after March. Got about two more months RIP JL......

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
hopefully they don`t go down but I`ll continue to collect my castings as they produce them.If they go under I`ll start getting older ones and repainting them.There`s always buying MB which has very good castings and putting nicer wheels on them.My collection will continue to slowly grow with or w/o JL. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
898 Posts
i would hate to see jl go away but if i could find some more greenlights it wouldn't be a total loss for me.still dont have a jl bwf mustang yet. where the heck was i when they came out?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts