Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am new the the forum and collecting Die Cast. I have a question about these Matchbox Convoys that I found at Wal-mart on sale. I understand that they are being( or have been ) Discontinued. Is there a way that I can find out which year these things are from by the packaging? For example, I have the Ford Aeromax with the Conoco tanker in from of me now. I see an M9620 on the front, and M9620-0718 HT as well as Asst. H1236 on the back. I bought six different convoys that I could find.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
If you are talking about the year they were produced by Mattel, the copyright date on the package is usually one year prior to the actual release--in most cases. I could be wrong, but this has been my observation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dude. So, nothing can be told about that M9620 number? I have noticed that serial number all the matchbox stuff. The reason I ask is that I have these 6 convoys, that I believe to be all the 2008 (and final) release. 5 are numbered M9620 to M9624 and the 6th one is different N4503. Like I said, I am new to Matchbox, so I am curious about how their numbering works.

Thanks

·
Registered
754 Posts
The M9620 to M9624 and N4503 annotation are product codes. In most Mattel products product codes will remain the same despite small changes to the product. Even with packaging changes it will remain the same, with a follow-on code such as 0960 changing to 0961. The home website(s) for Matchbox and other collector's pages MAY use the product code identifier, but that is more common in Hot Wheels. Those sites may also have information WRT production timeframe. As Dragonhead has observed, I have found the copyright date on packaging indicative of the year prior to actual release. The only exceptions to that are late-year releases, where casting and packaging designs are completed in the same year the product hits the shelves.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The M9620 to M9624 and N4503 annotation are product codes. In most Mattel products product codes will remain the same despite small changes to the product. Even with packaging changes it will remain the same, with a follow-on code such as 0960 changing to 0961. The home website(s) for Matchbox and other collector's pages MAY use the product code identifier, but that is more common in Hot Wheels. Those sites may also have information WRT production timeframe. As Dragonhead has observed, I have found the copyright date on packaging indicative of the year prior to actual release. The only exceptions to that are late-year releases, where casting and packaging designs are completed in the same year the product hits the shelves.
Ahh.. So the oddball N4503 is more than likely the product code from an earlier release of the DAF Space Cab, that they carried over to the 2008 release that I have? Kinda confusing in my opinion, hey, now I know. Thanks guys

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
If you are talking about the year they were produced by Mattel, the copyright date on the package is usually one year prior to the actual release--in most cases. I could be wrong, but this has been my observation.
This is my hypothesis from what I know as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts